We survived!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hiya, Have just returned from our first ever weekend away in a caravan (finally, we've owned it for about 2 months!) and totally loved it! We were probably pure comedy value on the site though! Got rescued about half nine at night by the couple opposite (who just happened to be off duty caravan site wardens! How lucky?!). Don't actually think we would have got any water or leccy without them as light was fading fast! What a steep learning curve! But having said that once we'd done it, it was dead easy after that. we really enjoyed the weekend after that first night and were v sad to leave (although we did drive off with one corner steady down and the tool sticking out of the side of the van! Dur!. Thankfully someone beeped their horn at us.. and no doubt laughed. a lot.) Can't wait for Friday now..off to Pooley Bridge!

Thanks for all the brilliant postings and tips on this site :)

Angel

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Angel,

Pleased you all survived and I promise....it only gets easier.

Don't worry too much about driving off with a steady down, just learn to do a full walk round check of everything before you pull away, unlike me during a trip to the Lakes with our Terrano at the time, when I'd left my walking socks on the rear wheel carrier to dry and forgot they were there, until a couple of neighbours started hollering at us.

Lara wasn't too impressed :)

Might bump in to you all sometime soon as we're regularly across the Lakes, although we've not tried Pooley yet.

Ken.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Really glad you had an enjoyable first outing and that you were lucky enough to experience helpful fellow caravanners. We had the 2 extremes on our first outing last October - one neighbour thought it was great sport to watch us struggle while he drank beer in the comfort of his van but the family on the other side were most helpful and offered their assistance. We couldn't even get the van unhitched at first! Getting better every time now and it's all starting to come more naturally.

Keep posting and enjoy!!! We're off to York at the weekend without our 3 kids - can't wait. Love 'em to bits but looking forward to some quality grown-up time.

Claire & Rob

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi thanks for replies. Claire and Rob, Enjoy York without kids! We too adore our kids but ooh a weekend of lies in and not having to have my head on constant '360 degree swivel' watching their every move!! Don't know whch site in York you're off to but we loved Beechwood Grange. Would def go back.

Hi to you too Ken. Your good lady mentioned you also like the lakes. We stayed at waterfoot park which was a nice site but shame about the torrential rain and mega high winds!! Towing home in that was a bit hairy but we (again) survived!

We're trying Troutbeck Head in August.. but Geoff (hubby) thinks it might be a bit far from anywhere. I know Lara receommended Keswick. Might give that a whirl. Hope to bump into u at some point!

Angel

Angel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Angel

We did Troutbeck head last year. A wonderful clean well looked after site. Good dog walks and for us not that far from anything in the Lake district we wanted to see.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel!

Hope you enjoy Troutbeck, it's a lovely site, but you will need the car if you want to go anywhere.

We usually go to Keswick during Whitweek, but we're toying with going during October half term. You'll have to let me know if/when you plan to go, it would be nice to meet up!

You must feel a bit less stressed now your first trip is out the way?!!

Lara

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lara, Yes the stress has now subsided and I'm having major withdrawal symptoms as this is the second weekend we've not used the van in a row! We're off to River Breamish next (nice and local!). I'd not thought of using the van in Oct. Good idea tho, we may try Keswick. We'll have to get our heads together nearer the time (or is it advisable to book v early?). Oh and by the way does Troutbeck Head have a playground? We found them invaluable on the other sites just for filling in half an hour while lunch is being made etc.

Thanks

Angel

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we have been vanning for years and got stuck getting on pitch at haven seaview 2 weeks ago,some people from a pitch nearby came over quickly and pushed us on were great company all week very few people are real a###holes,most are really helpful have a great time on future visits.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

You'll have to let us know how you get on at River Breamish, i'm jealous you seem to be away in your 'van loads!! We're restricted to a certain extent, cos OH works shifts, and only gets 2 weekends off out of 5. We'd both love to go away for a couple of nights, ie leave Friday afternoon after kids finish school, then return Sunday evening, but don't know if it would be too much hassle, ie picking the van up out of storage, setting up, then only having one full day before returning. Does anyone do this, and do you feel as if it's a good break?

To answer your question, Troutbeck Head has a small play ground, which our two were happy with. (My dear husband has a photo of me hanging upside down on the bars, after a few glasses of wine!!!) There is a small stream flowing through the site, which was very shallow when we were there, kids loved paddling in it.

I'm up for meeting in Keswick if you are, if the Mods read this, i'm happy for them to pass my e-mail address to you, saves clogging the forum up!

Lara :)

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello Lara,

The majority of the time we have away consists of leaving Friday after work and coming home on Sunday - sometimes having to vacate the pitch by midday if we are on a site. We too have to get our van from storage etc.

Is it worth it? most definitely, we've got it off to a fine art now, from arriving at the storage to pulling out its 8 mins! I've still got another 20 years of work to look forward to so its a case of making the best out of the situation until I retire, then the caravanning can REALLY begin lol.

Val

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm with Val on this one. Our last trip was Fri - Sun and I think most of our future trips will be too as my hubby gets a poor holiday entitlement. Having said that we did two weekends in a row and that was tiring, with work in between. Think I need to perfect my towing, then I could set up early Friday (I work part time) and Geoff could come later. Or maybe I should wait till the kids are older..I can feel the stress kicking in just thinking of it!

I suppose the perfect answer is to go for short trips that are local so u get there quicker.

Sounds good re Keswick Lara! Do we just wait for Mods to do something? Haven't a clue re forums..this is the first one I've been on!

Angel

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Valerie & Angel,

Thank you for your replies, i think we'll have to give it a go! Sorry for the delayed reply, been too busy with work & kids, i'm sure you'll know what i mean!

Angel, i'll post a message to the mods to ask them to pass on my e-mail address to you,

Lara.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angel,

Glad you survived!

We too have just come back from our first weekend away.

We got most things working on the Friday, water fill-up happened on the Saturday (forgot to open up the taps) and only struggled with the waste outlet (query posted in technical).

We loved it!

We were in York (Fangfoss Park) and hope to be out again in a fortnight, to Stragglethorpe near Nottingham.

All the best,

Gary H

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gary H, Well done on your survival too! We've just completed our third trip now (River Breamish..lovely!) and felt like old pros! Here's to many more!

Ta Lara, that should sort it :0)

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone

my husband and I bought a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux back at easter we have been out a few times now did'nt really know what we were doing but when on site people have come over to us (obviously look like we don't know what we are doing) and lend a helping hand a give us tips, we have learnt such a lot in a short space of time we really love it never realised you can get so hooked....Anne & Ted

May 21, 2007
Visit site
We try to get away at least 1 weekend every month.After work Fridays back Sundays.We are working our way through sites 1 - 1 1/2 hrs from home.As we both work full time its a great opportunity to destress.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Edward. We too are hooked! I'm getting restless again after no trip for just over a week! I'll have to bide my time polishing the van 'till August bank hol week when we're off to the Lakes for a week. Can't wait! It's such a step learning curve but great fun too.

I agree with you too Pat, it's a great stress relief to be away for a couple of days, but I have found that the couple of trips we've done which were Fri-Mon just gave that bit more time to fully unwind. Needs must tho and I'd rather have 2 nights than none!

Angel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts