We Want To Go - But Where To?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all.

We are 3 middle aged adults with no children and have just purchased a New Bailey Provence. Can anyone suggest highly recommended sites that are peaceful and/or have views and etc - and with good large pitches and all round facilities (Or is this a too tall an order to hope for as new caravanners) We would like to take a run at half term in October (teachers) for a 3 to 5 day and possibly again in the winter months. Any personal suggestions from very positive experiences etc would be very much appreciated - as would suggestions for any excellent touring sites in France for next Spring and Summer and who would be best to book the ferry and/or tunnel through for cost effectiveness.Phew! Who said caravanning was easy LOL. Warm regards and a big thank-you in anticipation - Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phew! Why don't you ask a simple question, like, "What's the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?" Or, "How does the female psyche interpret spatial awareness?" Instead, you ask where to go for positive caravanning experiences!!! Sorry, I should have started by welcoming you to the world of caravanning. You are going to have years of good fun and relaxation but, understandably, you want to know where to start.

My first piece of advice would be to join one of the two caravan/camping clubs. You will have access to a whole wealth of technical information, a doorway to reliable insurance schemes and a massive network of approved sites. Both produce excellent campsite guides and although eventually you will discover your own favourites, it's good to have a book full of club sites where you can be (reasonably) sure of good, clean and well maintained facilities. Very soon you will learn to recognise what makes a good site for your particular needs, looking out for scenic views rather than a swimming pool, access to country walks instead of a site shop. You will also discover your perfect CL where you can get away for peaceful weekends. It may not be my perfect CL because we are all looking for something different. You might even try going on a rally where you will come across dozens of people with years of caravanning under their collective belts and you'll get plenty of personal recommendations.

If travelling further afield, check out the Alan Rogers Guide. A campsite guide where every site has been visited and a truthful write-up given. Obviously you will come across sites that disappoint you, but you have to kiss the occasional frog before you eventually find your prince.

Both clubs will organise your travel plans for you but I personally prefer to organise my own. The internet is brilliant for comparing costs, facilities and timetables of most of the operators. I have already booked Eurotunnel on-line for 2005 (at a very good price). A letter to a French campsite (or a phone call if you're feeling brave) will easily book you a pitch. Then you have the satisfaction of having organised it all yourself.

Ooops, nearly forgot to say! And buy Practical Caravan every month for touring itineraries , practical tips, informative articles and a lively letters page where everyone has a chance to share their caravanning experiences.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If wish to venture to France try Camp du Lety at Benodet and cross from Plymouth to Roscoff. See my replies to "holiday help" and others on the overseas sites topic area. As far as this country is concerned try Widend at Marland Paignton - very nice site -quiet, plenty to do in the Torquay - Dartmouth area and the site is very reasonable for the amenities it has to offer. The site brochure does not do it justice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi have alook at www.theoldoaks.co.uk this is a first class site very clean faclities and in a nice quiet area and lovley views and huge pithches alsohave a look at www.adultstouring.co.uk

hope these help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If its a quiet site your after then try The Three Rivers Site in Clitheroe lancs, i dont know if this is ok to put on here but the web site is http://www.threeriverspark.co.uk/

Me and my wife love cycling and hill walking, there also is fishing, lovely views of pendle hill (witch country) and very interesting history, you also have the famous butchers in Clitheroe its self who sell every type of sausage you would only dream of e.g been and bacon, black puding and tomato ect. The site is not cheap @16 per night (all in) but its a good base and i think even you teachers will learn a thing or to.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Pity you don't say where you live - as actually you don't need to travel far to find an oasis of peace and quiet and a few like-minded caravanners - if you prefer less of a busman's holiday there are even adult only sites advertsied in the mag. I would concur with suggestion by others to join one (or both) of the clubs - you get monthly mags and access to insurance, advice etc. You will have to request their contintal brochures for next year, usually available Novemberish. You will find that if you pick your destination that one call to the CC will have it all booked, ferries, pitches and essential insurance at a fair price.

Also reiterate Alan Rogers guides (and website) as you get a couple of decent paragraphs of description from a personal inspection (not the site's own gloss). You can get a UK and a French or Europe version. (Try pricing on Amazon etc!)

Another long reply I'm afraid but 'hitch up, park up, feet up' and enjoy the life. Our camping and then caravanning units over the years have given us access to many places we would never have seen otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts