Wearing masks in shops

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ended up in A&E last night and not for Covid19. I didn't want to go to any hospital, but unfortunately had no choice. They would not allow you in without a mask, but some younger ones tried even though the masks were free. These same people would put on the mask to get in, then sit down and pull the mask down under their chin. Mostly young people however one chap probably in his fifties did the same. I hasten to add that the majority of young people in A&E did comply and it was only a few that wanted to ignore the rules and they were all male! Macho? What is wrong with some people that they think they are immune to disease?

All hospital staff wore masks, but not many wearing gloves or aprons. All paramedics had aprons, masks, gloves etc. I admit that wearing a mask for a couple of hours was not pleasant and has certainly put us off deciding to spend several or more hours in a long silver tube 10km above the earth. :D

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I don't believe the plastic face shields that some wear would have much effect. Okay if you have a mask on as well but on it's own I can't see how any droplets from a cough or sneeze would be contained.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't believe the plastic face shields that some wear would have much effect. Okay if you have a mask on as well but on it's own I can't see how any droplets from a cough or sneeze would be contained.
Hello Mikey
The clear face shield's job is not the same as a face mask!

"A face shield, an item of personal protective equipment, aims to protect the wearer's entire face from hazards such as flying objects and road debris, chemical splashes, or potentially infectious materials." Wikipedia

It does not constrain or prevent the inhalation of free air borne micro contaminants. It is should not be classed a "face mask" or used as the sole barrier to air borne contamination.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Prof

I am fully aware of what a face shield is used for and I completely agree with you. The point I was trying to make was that some people are wearing just the shield in shops and seem to believe that is adequate. It is farcical when you see waiter's, hairdressers etc.... wearing just a shield and half the time the shield is slightly raised and they are looking down, out the bottom of it, attending to customers. They may as well not bother.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It does not constrain or prevent the inhalation of free air borne micro contaminants. It is should not be classed a "face mask" or used as the sole barrier to air borne contamination.

But face masks, unless designed and classified to do so, also do not stop the inhalation of air borne contamination. For examples see this dental advice. Some masks are medical and there is a big range of industrial.

We are only being asked to wear simple, even home made, ones. As a lot of the air will come in from the edges. They may provide a tiny bit of protection to the user. But, as said before. Their purpose is to try to keep an individuals germs close to them.

I don't know of a comparison of effectiveness between masks and shield, but I believe the shields can help with more direct contamination when in close proximity, spitting, deliberate or otherwise.

F168A64B-1468-44BD-AD4F-4FA3659E9064.jpeg324DA7B1-6D18-4869-842C-6482B7F472B3.jpeg

A tast of what is to come!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts