Weather

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Some weeks ago, when we had had around two weeks without rain, a numpty from one of the south east's water company's appeared on the TV, and according to my good lady, announced that this could be a dry winter, with accompanying water restrictions. I wish I knew who the person was.......

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
excuse me..................i dont know what you lot are moaning at................i live in manchester!!!...........need i say anymore?......(tounge firmly in cheek lol)

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
After having had "global warming" rammed down our throats over the last few years ( and it being blamed for just about everything imaginable) the BBC Weather website tells us that 2008 is expected to be cooler than the past couple of years.

Global warming? No, this is "climate change" (I thought that had been happening since the dawn of time, its only now they`ve learnt how to use it as a means of raising taxation).

Climate change is obviously a refined term of reference, as it can be used for too hot, cold,windy,calm, wet, dry etc much more easily than global warming. This lets the politically bankrupt raise more money and keeps the tree-hugging community happy at the same time. Whoever thought of the phrase is probably very rich by now or should be, I`m just trying to think of what will come next.

Cynical? Moi?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The main tv channels, especially the local news programmes and weather forecasters seem to collude with the tax raisers by competing to find ever more dramatic ways to tell us that it's raining, with urgent drumbeats in the background while they are busy interviewing each other in tones that were once reserved for major air disasters or the death of a head of state.

I use the term 'weather forecasters' advisedly, you can never depend on them to have any accuracy in their forecasts, they are just interested in making 'good television.'

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Whotcha Parksey

I think you will find that Shefali Oza (BBC), Charlie & Ema (Central) are only weather presenters & not forecasters.

If I am correct it is only the BBC that use Met office emplyees to present the weather forcast.

When is it guna snow :eek:)

Samnjan

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Whotcha Parksey

I think you will find that Shefali Oza (BBC), Charlie & Ema (Central) are only weather presenters & not forecasters.

If I am correct it is only the BBC that use Met office emplyees to present the weather forcast.

Samnjan
It aint so put that in ya hosepipe and smoke it :O)

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

Has any body noticed how both the itv and bbc weather channels spend half hour telling us what the weather was today and two seconds what its going to be tommorow???Every body antell them what its been.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whotcha Parksey

Samnjan
Rain is the new snow :0)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some years ago yorkshire television used to give forecasts with an old farmer called foggat. The amazing thing was that they started off putting him on for a laugh but it soon became apparent that his success rate was about twice that of the so called professionals. He used to base his forecasts on nothing more than old farming lore History of simular weather and natural things happening on his farm. I often wonder why we pay fortunes to the met office experts.?

Marc

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Somehow I think nature is in for a shock soon. January 25th and the gardens believe it's Spring. My fuchsias are coming into leaf as is my clematis. My camellias are out in bloom and I've seen polyanthus and hebe out in flower. The frogs have already been heard croaking in my pond. I have gazanias which haven't stopped flowering since last summer and one fuschia species has just finished the last of its flowers.

The blue tits will be nesting soon at this rate and as one of the first birds to nest often get caught out with the first clutch perishing due to the change in the weather.

Global warming or not? All I know is there is definitely something wrong. I'm not complaining though because I hate the cold and snow :O)

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Whotcha Parksey

Samnjan
The presenters of the weather news ARE qulified forecasters.

As we don't have TV have to rely on the BBS website for everything.

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Somehow I think nature is in for a shock soon. January 25th and the gardens believe it's Spring. My fuchsias are coming into leaf as is my clematis. My camellias are out in bloom and I've seen polyanthus and hebe out in flower. The frogs have already been heard croaking in my pond. I have gazanias which haven't stopped flowering since last summer and one fuschia species has just finished the last of its flowers.

The blue tits will be nesting soon at this rate and as one of the first birds to nest often get caught out with the first clutch perishing due to the change in the weather.

Global warming or not? All I know is there is definitely something wrong. I'm not complaining though because I hate the cold and snow :O)
Our primroses have been flowering since last November time, and the bluetits are surveying the nest box. Hopefully, this year they will get down to business!

TRENDING THREADS