Weather

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We were supposed to be out this w/e, but going to give it a miss, -- towed in snow plenty of times over the years. But I don't like the amount of salt that goes on the roads and consequently vehicles and vans ,these days . There'll be plenty of other w/e's for us on the 'state'! ;)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well , the weather Beast has hit the North East and I must admit it is the worst snowy weather i have ever driven in ! So exhausting and trying to concentrate all the time . Down to 2mph in places this morning and trying to keep the back end off the bus from sliding , well ....
so i would not want to tow in this weather , 4x4 or no 4x4 !! Treacherous
Safe driving all .

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Will give site owner a ring in the morning to see what conditions the roads are in, If they are OK I will see if I can go a day earlier, it's not a long journey.

Trevor

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
Have 4x4 will travel. Just changed the useless Dunlops for BF Goodrich. Tried them out in the last snow over the Matlocks. No problems, but cant get away until 14th.
I had three sets of BFGoodrich on my last 4x4. Great tyres. All four lasted 20k. Not brilliant in the wet but then at my speeds irrelevant. In the mud with nearly 2 tons behind never flinched once. On motorways ,solo, quite noisy

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
When caravanning in below zero temperatures how do members keep the waste pipes from freezing? The fresh water is simple and no problem. Here in central France we're "enjoying" nightime temperatures of -12C but the only way I can ensure that the waste water runs away is to disconnect the pipes under the caravan so that the waste water drops straight onto the ground. Not ideal by any means but I've tried insulating the pipes to no avail. There is very little fall in the pipes so any water left in the pipes overnight freezes. Any ideas, anyone?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used windscreen wash but for -12 Deg C you would need a good solution. In U.K. my normal one is Comma Xtreme which neat goes down to below 60 deg C. I use it all year round and adjust the solution to meet the seasons. At present I am using a 25% solution for -10 deg protection (I think as the bottle is down the shed and it’s 2300)

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be foolhardy towing a trailer in these adverse conditions - it’s the thought of other drivers colliding or careering into you that’s the problem - some of the motorists I’ve seen on the news reports don’t even bother to clear the windscreen of snow before setting off - Traffic Scotland has issued an amber alert for practically the whole of scotland - so “it’s hame il dae me” for us

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As with most things in life we all like different things so we decide for ourselves whether to tow a caravan in this weather or not, I work outside and drive around 3000 miles a month and spend my days kneeling at the side of cars with my head poked under the dashboard, I reckon in 20 years I’ve probably had to cancel fewer than 30 jobs due to weather and invariably they have been because the car owner doesn’t want their pride and joy getting wet, I enjoy my job totally and wouldn’t want to change it, yesterday was 5 hours in same location all outside and all that time kneeling on the floor, wearing the right clothes makes it easy to cope with our weather but would I choose to tow my caravan in this weather and then pitch up in a field and end up spending most of my time cooped up in the caravan? Let me think about that for half a second.....no! I reckon home wins hands down with all mod cons and water that I don’t have to fetch or waste I don’t have to empty, that’s if it’s not frozen and central heating that out performs any caravan heating on the market, as for a caravan sitting on the drive going rusty ? There isn’t a great deal on a caravan that rusts as far as I’m aware, maybe rotting because of the damp but that will be the same if it’s parked up or if your away, no I think I’ll wait until the spring before I tootle off in mine but as I said “each to their own”

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t have a problem driving in snow, but would I tow in the forecast conditions, probably not unless I was hit by unexpected weather whilst doing a journey. What became clear looking at yesterday’s news is that in areas with scant snowfall vehicles were getting stuck. Be they cars or commercial vehicles. One has to ask why? It can’t all be down to poor driving. One major reason is that the majority of cars run on summer tyres which are optimised for wet/temperate conditions. As such they offer negligible grip in snow.
When we last had snow a county police X5 was seen all over the place as it’s tyres just wouldn’t grip. Yet our ambulance authority keep their fast responder paramedic cars on winter tyres all year around. I’ve yet to check what the police now do.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Beehpee said:
As with most things in life we all like different things so we decide for ourselves whether to tow a caravan in this weather or not, I work outside and drive around 3000 miles a month and spend my days kneeling at the side of cars with my head poked under the dashboard, I reckon in 20 years I’ve probably had to cancel fewer than 30 jobs due to weather and invariably they have been because the car owner doesn’t want their pride and joy getting wet, I enjoy my job totally and wouldn’t want to change it, yesterday was 5 hours in same location all outside and all that time kneeling on the floor, wearing the right clothes makes it easy to cope with our weather but would I choose to tow my caravan in this weather and then pitch up in a field and end up spending most of my time cooped up in the caravan? Let me think about that for half a second.....no! I reckon home wins hands down with all mod cons and water that I don’t have to fetch or waste I don’t have to empty, that’s if it’s not frozen and central heating that out performs any caravan heating on the market, as for a caravan sitting on the drive going rusty ? There isn’t a great deal on a caravan that rusts as far as I’m aware, maybe rotting because of the damp but that will be the same if it’s parked up or if your away, no I think I’ll wait until the spring before I tootle off in mine but as I said “each to their own”

BP
"Cooped up in the caravan"?
Not much chance of that!".
Their will be four caravans parked as close as possible, in a square. Fire proof large gazebo in the middle. Just add powerful space heater from our hosts, fantastic countryside, long walks, pub by the log fire......etc. "Cooped up in a caravan"? Not on our watch. Life is too short.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I have used windscreen wash but for -12 Deg C you would need a good solution. In U.K. my normal one is Comma Xtreme which neat goes down to below 60 deg C. I use it all year round and adjust the solution to meet the seasons. At present I am using a 25% solution for -10 deg protection (I think as the bottle is down the shed and it’s 2300)

But how does this solve the problem of waste water not running away?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On my last van a 2005 Bailey I used to pour a small amount of solution down the sinks last thing at night before turning the heating off. It prevented the sections of pipe which retained water from freezing. Also during the evening we would open lockers and cupboards to ensure warm air circulated better. But the temperatures weren't as low as -12 deg C nearer -5 deg C.

On this one we haven't been out in freezing temperatures yet, although I have put some screen wash solution into the sinks and shower drains whist the van is not being used.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Things are pretty bad around |Glasgow. Many people have just not taken the risk with traveling even to work and many roads are dangerous. Frankly anything not essential is not worth the risk.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Things are pretty bad around |Glasgow. Many people have just not taken the risk with traveling even to work and many roads are dangerous. Frankly anything not essential is not worth the risk.

Ah that would explain why we cannot get to speak to anyone at RBS about a blocked account! Perhaps the call centre should move back to India where snow is a rarity.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep, I think we got it right in giving it a miss this weekend, not that bad really, but apparently still worse to come.
DSC05243.jpg

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We are due to go to Kingsbury Water park(a C&CC site) in Birmingham on Sunday for Crufts but with the weather as it is not sure if we will make it. It is quite a way from the road down a single track road with passing places.

We have the sea on three sides of us and have to go inland to Colchester to go anywhere and the salt in the air normally keeps the snow away but not today and we have road closures.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The weather is that bad up here in the Sunderland area that the Stagecoach buses have retracted all their services this morning and I am gutted as I am day off !!
I've never known this to happen in 1o years driving the Buses , the snow is expected to fall even heavier and worse tonight and I am first bus out at o455 in the morning ( Thursday ) and just heard that it's supposed to be a staggering -8°C !! :eek:hmy: :p

Safe driving to all .
Keep your distance .
Only a fool will break the distance rule !
Craig .

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi - granted we live in the Peak District but I've just had an horrific trip home from work driving a 4 x 4. Just a plea to everyone - please stay safe it really is not worth venturing out unnecessarily especially with your pride and joy.....There will be plenty more weekends away.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Had a call from my son a little time ago, stuck on the M80.

I told him to fill the fuel tank before he left, he now has less than half a tank (how much less is anyone's guess).

Kids, do they listen?

Could be a night in the car for my wazzock darling boy.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Scientific Question. Wind Chill means that to the human being, being out when the air temperature is -3 FEELS LIKE -10 ( or whatever). I understand that this is due to the homeostatic functions of the human body reacting to the evaporative and chilling effect of the wind.
What I want to know is, does this apply to inanimate objects. For example a pipe full of water will freeze to a certain extent ( depending on the diameter of the pipe etc) if the air temperature is -3. But if the wind chill means it feels like -10, to a human body; does the water in pipe exposed to the wind chill, freeze as if it is -10 or -3.
Ever curious
Mel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It will freeze at -3. Inanimate objects do not "feel"
Windchill only affects warm blooded creatures as it is the ripping away of the microlayer of warm air above the skin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts