Web Site Woe's

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
ProfJohnL said:
zoaman said:
I am using the same laptop.and this only started to do this late yesterday...

I think you should look back over all your posts. There are signs of the problems from quite early on.

It has been a particular problem with some of your posts as we have been discussing some technical issues where the wording could make a significant difference to the real meaning or intention.

We don't normally question poor spelling ( My own is poor enough) or grammar, but there are times when it needs to be unambiguous.
Yes this did happen with a earlier post and it was questioned then.i had not remebered this occasion.but it had caught my attention when i made a post approx 3 days ago.i wrote out a post and the lot disappeared after approx a day.i thought maybe a mod had removed it.
You're right, as I pointed out at the time I removed it because it didn't make sense.
Your recent posts elsewhere on this forum suggest that whatever problem you were having with your device has cured itself.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Would that be the one that went all "g :silly: bbledyg :blink: :blink: k "and Parksy said he had to delete it where he told you and I came on and said what post after it had been deleted ???? :p

Whilst's typing in , Parksy beat me to it for the reply !! :p

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
zoaman said:
ProfJohnL said:
zoaman said:
I am using the same laptop.and this only started to do this late yesterday...

I think you should look back over all your posts. There are signs of the problems from quite early on.

It has been a particular problem with some of your posts as we have been discussing some technical issues where the wording could make a significant difference to the real meaning or intention.

We don't normally question poor spelling ( My own is poor enough) or grammar, but there are times when it needs to be unambiguous.
Yes this did happen with a earlier post and it was questioned then.i had not remebered this occasion.but it had caught my attention when i made a post approx 3 days ago.i wrote out a post and the lot disappeared after approx a day.i thought maybe a mod had removed it.
You're right, as I pointed out at the time I removed it because it didn't make sense.
Your recent posts elsewhere on this forum suggest that whatever problem you were having with your device has cured itself.
Not a problem with my device.maybe a problem with the site.as other have experienced a fault somewhere too.
And it would be curtious to ask if there was a problem/fault before removing my post.just s little nudge would have given me a reason to be able to fight my corner.just removing it made me think does this site work properly... :(

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
zoaman said:
Not a problem with my device.maybe a problem with the site.as other have experienced a fault somewhere too.
And it would be curtious to ask if there was a problem/fault before removing my post.just s little nudge would have given me a reason to be able to fight my corner.just removing it made me think does this site work properly... :(

I mentioned that I removed your post as soon as was practicable for me to use my computer at home, after you mentioned that it had gone. I explained at the time why it was removed Zoaman, see post #444811 and more recently post #444892
I have no control over or involvement with the website software, perhaps the intermittent 'problem with the site' caused you to miss seeing my reply?
I'm not quite sure why you feel it necessary to 'fight your corner', I can't do anything about the website software and I took the time to courteously explain to you why one of your comments was removed, even though strictly speaking I'm under no obligation to offer any explanation at all. See Terms and Conditions 4:2
Comments that you have submitted elsewhere on this forum appear to have come out alright, so why would I imagine that you only had a problem every time that you replied to this particular thread?
I'm not really sure what else you want me to do.
You and other forum members have reported problems, and Lizzie the Digital Editor is looking in to the situation to hopefuly identify any issues and to take remedial action to rectify any problems as soon as she is able.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just to add my bit to help, I normally use a Samsung tablet to read and reply to postings, and the search engine is Chrome, no real problems, on the forums, display, the only troubles are when I have too many late evening " Tipples ", which is when it is quite correct for the great Mods to delete my posts as irelevent or unreadable. I just hope that some of my postings are of some use to others.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
zoaman said:
...Not a problem with my device.maybe a problem with the site.as other have experienced a fault somewhere too...

The problem that prompted me to start this thread was not about missing letters and phantom spaces in text, but about page sizing and jumping whilst loading. The nature of the problem I was having is unlikely to be related the issues you have been having.

There is at least one other contributor who tends not to use capital letters, spaces and new lines for paragraphs but importantly he uses full words. Reading it can be a pain but at least he does not tend to use abbreviations or symbols to represent words.

As far as I know no one else has been having problems loading text as such, which rather points to it being an issue with your entry device or perhaps internet connection.

My wife did have a similar problem whist sending text messages on her phone, our granddaughter had managed to set the phones to another language and predictive spelling option so some really weird results were produced, but she could see them before she posted, so I'm puzzled as to why you cant.

Do you see the problems when yo revisit a post?.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Strangely enough Prof, tonight I am having lots of problems with the website, very slow and taking lots of time to reply to postings and it's not finger trouble after the bottle of red wine to thin the blood down . Have to reboot my router, I think.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the evenings I tend to use any one of three IOS devises and last night it was frustratingly slow just to read the posts. But this morning ( Friday) 0710 it's okay again.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
zoaman said:
...Not a problem with my device.maybe a problem with the site.as other have experienced a fault somewhere too...

The problem that prompted me to start this thread was not about missing letters and phantom spaces in text, but about page sizing and jumping whilst loading. The nature of the problem I was having is unlikely to be related the issues you have been having.

There is at least one other contributor who tends not to use capital letters, spaces and new lines for paragraphs but importantly he uses full words. Reading it can be a pain but at least he does not tend to use abbreviations or symbols to represent words.

As far as I know no one else has been having problems loading text as such, which rather points to it being an issue with your entry device or perhaps internet connection.

My wife did have a similar problem whist sending text messages on her phone, our granddaughter had managed to set the phones to another language and predictive spelling option so some really weird results were produced, but she could see them before she posted, so I'm puzzled as to why you cant.

Do you see the problems when yo revisit a post?.

There is a U on the end of yo.or was that your pc going wrong.
As stated i use a pc for this site and not a android or ios machine. I normaly check back what i type to make sure it makes sense.Yet when i click submit and it appears in the post,it has changed to totally different thing as to before i click submit.
Surely thats not too hard. I type frequently on this same pc and dont have to problems on other we sites.
As others state.it goes slow and changes colour and thing disappear..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem I first reported in this thread has returned to some extend.

We now have another yell background advert for Marquis caravans this time.

The page loads with the forum work space at about 60% of the page width, and a space at the right hand side where we normally see a PC box with "most recent caravan reviews listed.

As this caravan review box loads it compresses the forum work space. to about 50% This is what so annoying as it causes the page to jump around. and with good website design this should not happen.

The page should load with spaces predetermined for all the items. You know how much space has been allocated for advertising and that is the space you sell. So it should be set aside for the advertiser to fill only that space, and not cause the page to be reorganised.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, again, for your feedback.

Yes, the site does jump a little when loading that ad. We're doing what we can to reduce this, but in order to ensure all the content loads on all screen sizes, on the current platform we are somewhat limited.

Thank you for bearing with us.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
We now have another yell background advert for Marquis caravans this time. The page loads with the forum work space at about 60% of the page width, and a space at the right hand side ... with "most recent caravan reviews listed. As this caravan review box loads it compresses the forum work space. to about 50%
Prof seems to be saying the "Most recent caravan reviews" box is responsible for compressing the space - not the "Yell backgound advert" ? In my case I don't see any Yell advert; in fact I do not see any ads over the entire site, yet I am not using an explicit ad blocker. I do see the blue reviews box on the right and in my case it does not compress the work area as it loads, and it is only using about 30% of my screen width. I'm using Firefox 45.9.0 on Linux.

Prof is quite right in saying that the different areas of the page should be defined. This can be as a percentage in the HTML code, and not allowed to spill over from that. The website deigners should check their code.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its still happening!

But now its the banner advert box that sits just above the forums grey page tabs (Index, Recent Topics, New Topic - etc) . The forum loads, then depending on what advert is loaded into this space, the page jumps up and down.

I will say again that Haymarket should know the size or even dictate the size of the space available to advertisers and set out the page before it is down loaded to to us. I have lost count of the number of times I have position my mouse and clicked on it only to see the page jump as I click and I get unwanted results.
Which is more important, The users of a forum or the advertisers - Without users ther is no point in advertisers using the space, and without advertisers, there would be no forum. So we are equally important

So please start to play fair with us. Tell your advertisers the space ( Number of pixels) they can use and stop giving us the focus runaround.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Its still happening!

But now its the banner advert box that sits just above the forums grey page tabs (Index, Recent Topics, New Topic - etc) . The forum loads, then depending on what advert is loaded into this space, the page jumps up and down.

I will say again that Haymarket should know the size or even dictate the size of the space available to advertisers and set out the page before it is down loaded to to us. I have lost count of the number of times I have position my mouse and clicked on it only to see the page jump as I click and I get unwanted results.
Which is more important, The users of a forum or the advertisers - Without users ther is no point in advertisers using the space, and without advertisers, there would be no forum. So we are equally important

So please start to play fair with us. Tell your advertisers the space ( Number of pixels) they can use and stop giving us the focus runaround.

It’s a strange result that you are reporting and it has been going on for a while too. I use a MAC with Safari, IPod, ipad, and iPhone of various generations, but all work perfectly without any of the problems that you report. I await PC’s reply with interest and hope that you get it resolved.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:
Its still happening!

It’s a strange result that you are reporting and it has been going on for a while too. I use a MAC with Safari, IPod, ipad, and iPhone of various generations, but all work perfectly without any of the problems that you report. I await PC’s reply with interest and hope that you get it resolved.

Thanks all, again, for the feedback. We are aware of this and are looking into how to fix it. We understand why it's happening, but a remedy isn't that simple. It's also hard to replicate everyone's issues, as it seems some of you are experiencing more extreme disruption than others.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks for bearing with us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion of using an adblocker.

I have used such a program a couple of years ago with initially good results, but then many of the sites I use started to restrict their services to people who use blocking programmes, and that became an undue pain selecting and deselecting the service on different sites.

Some sites overuse advertising and it is a real pain when adverts jump up over the content you are looking at, so far this has not happened with PC forum, but why should consumers be pushed around by advertisers? I tolerate advertising in news papers becasue its static and does not suddenly cause the page your looking at to rearrange, so why do advertisers think they have the right to impose their copy over material the user has chosen to look at? I fully accept that some sites, including PC forum need to be funded, and to keep the open nature of the site the two choices are either advertising, or subscriptions. Advertisers need to be kept under control and site operators need to define the space available for advertisers to use and rigorously keep them to it,

I also know that web sites have to try and be compatible with several different screen formats and sizes, but if the same proportion of the screen is allocated to advertisers, its up to the advertisers to ensure their copy is scale-able.

Site operators need to be as fair to the users as to advertisers, and to make sure that advertisers do not take more space than they are allocated - that is down to web page design.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't experienced any screen jumping phenomena on any of my devices recently but I know exactly what you mean with regard to Adblock inhibiting website content Prof.
The impositions that you describe may be pop ups, and some internet security software programmes utilise a pop up blocker which never interferes with website content but which blocks the annoying unwanted pop up advert boxes.
I use Kaspersky Total Security to keep my desktop, laptop and Android phone safe and virus free.
There is a free to use version of Kaspersky although mine costs a meagre £35 per year for regularly updated internet security which includes the pop up blocker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts