Wee bit scared

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Used to tow many caravans if they were right or wrong with my Ford Cortina Estate never gave a dam 20 years ago.

Now grandchild on the scene just want it right, bought sprite alpine 420 (new) and towing it with my Audi A4 so everything is well within the limits. Bought all the latest stuff!! and going to get my insurance of the CC

Bought all the usual stuff just scared I have missed something??

regards

TP

G

No disrespect, and probably get my head chewed off as usual but...

You are not telling us that you bought a caravan just because of a new grandchild are you? Surely you bought the van because you and your wife wanted it for yourselves, and if grandchild is available for a trip or two, then so much the better. If so, then they will fit in pretty much anywhere. Also if the grandchild is straight out 'of the box' and still has the cellophane wrapping, then you will probably be visiting it, rather than the other way around for a while. If it is a boy then they are not so much fun until they can play football, and if it is a girl, well, your wife will have the fun and you will be 'told' by granddaughter what you 'grandad' will do. And you will comply very happily. My own father eventually figured out what Barbie and Cindy meant, but it did take a while.

As grandparents of 15 plus years we did not get to see as much as we would maybe have liked due to work and travelling. However, that does not mean that we did not enjoy the times we had. Possibly, they were more special because of the reduced frequency. Now ironically the grandson visits us on his own, as he is now of the age when he does not wish to be with parents and we have the big city on our doorstep, so he is using us of course.

Enjoy the new van and the new grandchild, but in that order when appropriate

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
John unless you are planning first trips to outer Mongolia there will be a Hypermarket and shops not to far away. If you forgot an item, so what!

If your happy with what you have you have probably got it right.

Do caravanning your way, if you listen to others you can end up filling the van and car with clutter the you hardly ever or never use.

Just go away and enjoy your time together and with the family, NO need to be scared.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi John,

Your story is pretty familiar to us at present - we're hearing from a lot of people who are returning to caravans after 20-odd years away. Nothing to be scared of though. If it starts to feel a bit stressful, just remember that its all for fun!

My dad towed our first family's first van to Swanage with a 1275cc Marina with five people in it. Nobody seemed to mind what you towed with what then and we all came through unscathed. With a modern car and caravan, and the benefit of all those years driving experience, what have you got to worry about.

Enjoy your trip, and I hope the grandkids enjoy it!

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I know exactly what you mean, towed a Sprite Alpine in the 80's going as far as the South of France and North Scotland, but after a gap of 20+ years retirement offers us the opportunity to spend more "us" time. In our case that involves visiting and enjoying Grandchildren up in Scotland.

We take delivery of our new van, a Bailey Pageant Champage, in late April, and I am already nervous, there seems to be so much to re-learn.

Dave

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Yep, I too am in the same boat. 15yr gap and got myself a caravan again!

I used to tow without a care and I spent years driving class one lorries. Still a bit scared about our forth comming trip away, but I know for a fact once I have got a couple of miles under my belt all will be fine.

PS. We live by the sea and see our grandchildren alot. The van is a two berth as it is our little escape for the wife and I...lol..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First started caravan towing in 1969 when daughter was 6 weeks old and now 40 years on we are still towing even though we are grandparents. Early retirement is brilliant and if the grandchildren are with us we enjoy their company as if they were our own. There is no need to worry about forgetting something or other - we have all done it in our time. My advice is to enjoy the grandchildren, enjoy the caravan and if the two can be combined so much the better - you only live once so enjoy what is on offer and don't worry. Good luck

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Nigel,l too towed with a Marina 1700 HL with an Abbey Westminster on the back 15 years ago, sorry to say after 2 collapsed gearboxe's had to change to a Rover SD2000, by the way l have Shogun but tow the Ace Firestar with a Rover75 2.5V6 Auto, absolutely brilliant to tow with.

No wonder the foreigners bought the Rover 75 after that hebert Clarkson slagged it off, another fine Brtish made car bites the dust but a so what l have 30k car for 4k.

Nige

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts