Weekenders hog Peak District

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil

I am also a weekender during the year. If I book a weekend , I go. There is a tranche of weekenders who book all the best slots regardless of their true intentions.

Jasper

I have not moaned, I merely point out that the system is flawed, abused and ends up in economic loss to the CC plus spoils my chance of two weeks away.

Anyway this got done to death in previous years so I will seee what the CC have to say.

Cheers

Alan

G

I do not, at least personally, have any gripe against 'weekenders', except for of course natural irritation and the usual profanity when i find my plans thrown into disarray from such an event. I also recognise the Bank Holidays are of particular importance to many people and usually try to avoid them in order to release pitches for others. What I feel is becoming of concern however, is that it is not just the Bank Holidays where the 'full up' signs are being shown, but on consecutive weekends even out of high season. It is often only the Saturday night where this occurs and is indeed frustrating to spend all week, and have to leave for Saturday, but be welcomed back on Sunday. It is doubly frustrating to have to scrabble around for a pitch for the 1 night as often other sites in the area have the same 'full up' signs outside. The C&CC has been mentioned and of course they only allow bookings for 2 nights or more at weekends, so one can be doubly 'whammied' for the sake of Saturday. Yes, I also accept that CL's are available and will be looking more and more at these, but again in certain areas, these also are booked up. The 'problem' also does seem to be restricted to sites in certain areas, the SE England and the NE England in particular seem to have this problem. I accept that is where there is a high density of population but it does rather restrict anyone else visiting. One site I have found to be bad in this respect is Ferry Meadows, which is a huge site but can be chokka for the Saturday night. It is indeed a nice area and I like to visit it possibly once per year, but does every local have to go there every weekend??

As a now retired person, I would also point out that for my '40 years' I was also a working soul and only had weekends and the annual holiday. However, I always wanted to explore just a little bit further than the 'end of my street' and a drive of say 50 miles or so was not excessive on a Friday night. I wanted the kids to see other things in their life, not just remain in the same circle of friends, however I also recognise that others prefer that way of life.

As for an answer?? I do not have an easy one. There are more and more retired people in the UK so the situation is not going to get better, and they do have increased spending power (at least usually), so the market is moving in that direction. The CC will have to come up with an answer and I do not envy them that task. Possibly copying the C&CC is one way forward, but the CC seems to object on principle of doing anything that 'the other lot' have devised.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I do not, at least personally, have any gripe against 'weekenders', except for of course natural irritation and the usual profanity when i find my plans thrown into disarray from such an event. I also recognise the Bank Holidays are of particular importance to many people and usually try to avoid them in order to release pitches for others. What I feel is becoming of concern however, is that it is not just the Bank Holidays where the 'full up' signs are being shown, but on consecutive weekends even out of high season. It is often only the Saturday night where this occurs and is indeed frustrating to spend all week, and have to leave for Saturday, but be welcomed back on Sunday. It is doubly frustrating to have to scrabble around for a pitch for the 1 night as often other sites in the area have the same 'full up' signs outside. The C&CC has been mentioned and of course they only allow bookings for 2 nights or more at weekends, so one can be doubly 'whammied' for the sake of Saturday. Yes, I also accept that CL's are available and will be looking more and more at these, but again in certain areas, these also are booked up. The 'problem' also does seem to be restricted to sites in certain areas, the SE England and the NE England in particular seem to have this problem. I accept that is where there is a high density of population but it does rather restrict anyone else visiting. One site I have found to be bad in this respect is Ferry Meadows, which is a huge site but can be chokka for the Saturday night. It is indeed a nice area and I like to visit it possibly once per year, but does every local have to go there every weekend??

As a now retired person, I would also point out that for my '40 years' I was also a working soul and only had weekends and the annual holiday. However, I always wanted to explore just a little bit further than the 'end of my street' and a drive of say 50 miles or so was not excessive on a Friday night. I wanted the kids to see other things in their life, not just remain in the same circle of friends, however I also recognise that others prefer that way of life.

As for an answer?? I do not have an easy one. There are more and more retired people in the UK so the situation is not going to get better, and they do have increased spending power (at least usually), so the market is moving in that direction. The CC will have to come up with an answer and I do not envy them that task. Possibly copying the C&CC is one way forward, but the CC seems to object on principle of doing anything that 'the other lot' have devised.
Hi Scotch lad

After 38 years slog I too have retired. I was lucky in that we often left at 4.00pm friday and could easily get 100 miles from home. Most of our weekends were not actually at CC sites , only because we liked the commercial ones we had booked. Now we have to be a bit more financially carefully the pricing at the CCs suits us fine.

We use a lot more CLs and find them excellent.

In our younger days we never made a string of bookinhs only to cancel at the last minute because we didn't like the weather.

It is this selfishness that bugs me the most.

Cheeers

Alan

May 15, 2006
Visit site
I tried to book two weeks at Chatsworth Park CC site a couple of years back and were told that the week days were free but all pitches were fully booked for the middle weekend of our holiday which was to be in June, the warden said we could move to a differnt site for the weekend and then move back again for the second week, I thanked him but declined the booking, very very annoying too !!!

I'm appauled to hear that people are still having the same problem, I have aired my veiws to the CC by Email and urge all unsatisfied Members to do the same because whenever I write to them they reply by saying they have had no complaints from other members. I think club sites are excellent in every way but something needs to be done about the booking system by limiting how many pitches members can book, I like JTS idea!

PS. So disgruntled with Caravan Club things I haven't booked anything for 2009.

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
As a caravaner and caravan club member this year for the first time, I cannot see the problem.

I work 5 days a week and my annual holiday I will book up as far in advance as I can, to ensure the dates and venue on my choice. This year it meant booking on 17th December with everyone else. Thats Life, You cannot change the system, join it. As for the rest of the year I go away weekends and there would be hell to pay if pitches were kept free for week campers and I couldn't book for a week end. A pitch fee is for one night not a right to stay for any longer. If sites could fill every pitch every day the fees could be lower. Fact is weekends are what keep the buoyant!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not think anyone who has replied to this thread actually minds anyone using CC sites just for weekend breaks. The issue here is the memebers who book numerous weekends for the full season taking all the pitch allocation then cancel what they don't want at short notice.

Maybe a solution could be that the club only allows a limited number of bookings for each member, this would then stop block booking and leave more choice for everyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

The Bank Holiday aspect passed us by! Ok, you have to wonder why the friday and sunday are not fully booked as well??

Cheers

Alan
Interesting point that Friday and Sunday are free Alan. I am coming to the way of thinking that the club should limit the number of bookings a member can have. This will then stop people block booking for the season and cancelling at short notice.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
The original thread was "Weekenders hog Peak District" They are only fully booked at Grin Low for 4 days this year. 3 in April ( Easter) and the 2nd of May... a bank holiday.

If the CC had a problem with full weekend pitches and empty mid week ones I'm sure they have enough commercial sense to do something about it.Likewise, if enough people failed to turn up for bookings the CC would take action.

Amazing too, how often they are criticised for only being interested in making a profit.

The truth is, the CC do offer mid week reductions on some sites, to encourage longer bookings.They have also made an official statement declaring they do not have a problem with no shows.

Members that are in full time occupation probably know when they are going on holiday fairly early on during the year and should be able to book well ahead.

With the exception of bank holidays most sites are still available to book full weeks at anytime you want right now so get on and do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread seems to encompas everything I despise in caravanners. I vowed never to use a "main stream" CC site every again after I came up against this kind of small minded, petty, bickering.

We now use the CL network and generally go where ever we please at the weekends. Some of us do still work you know.

just to be a bit more controvertial.... I tow with a massive 5.0L V8 4x4, I have a 24ft twin axle, fixed bed, caravan, I tow at 70 to 80mph + (sometimes with the hand brake on for a laugh). I never go away without my 2 doberman dogs, I love to practice playing my gibson guitar at 1 in the morning (naked) whilst shouting at my 2 kids to turn up the volume on their playstation. Oh and I forgot to say that I always, always take my sky plus box to hook up to my 50" plasma telly.

please, please, please lets just get along..... it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby for crying out loud. In case you hadn't noticed we are not the most popular rad users on the planet.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Gareth, I hope your kids take their football to play around all the vans & don't forget the fuel for your genny so you can run it all night.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Check out Chatsworth Park Bakewell for the weekend bookings.

Oh well there are even more pretty places to visit.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I do not think anyone who has replied to this thread actually minds anyone using CC sites just for weekend breaks. The issue here is the memebers who book numerous weekends for the full season taking all the pitch allocation then cancel what they don't want at short notice.

Maybe a solution could be that the club only allows a limited number of bookings for each member, this would then stop block booking and leave more choice for everyone.
Here Here!!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I'm joining the bun fight next year.

For now I'll go south as Lisa says and then Scotland.

Cheers

Alan
No, no, no! Scotland is cold, wet and miserable. There are midges everywhere and the natives aren't friendly. You'll hate it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts