Weight limits.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
In order to stick to the mtplm on my brand new Bailey Ranger 560/6 I have 250kg to play with. This puts me spot on the 85% rule for the car (A Merc estate C240 diesel).

What does this equate to? How much kit is that, what do you put in your van and how much weight does it add up to?

I told my wife not to buy too many tins of soup until I get my head round this!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard

I too have a Bailey Ranger 550/6 (is your 560/6 a typo?).

As it was my first van, I decided weigh the items as I added them (kg)

Spare Wheel 20

2 Gas Bottles 35

Chocks 5

Battery 23

Awning 35

Ground Sheets 5

Pots and Pans 5

Bedding 15

Kitchen stuff 60

Aqua Roll 5

Aqua Waste 5

RunnerCarpets 2

Fire extinguisher 1

Toilet chems 1

Electric lead 5

Clothes 40

Folding chairs 10

Total

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ooops, hit 'Submit' too early there !

The total is 270kg which put me over weight. I ended up carrying the awning in the roof-box which helps loads.

I would be interested in your experioence as I have real trouble getting the nose weight down to 80kg (the car's limit) without loading a significant amount of weight behind the rear-axle.

Regards

Louis

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard

I just remembered that I posted a similar question to yours a few months back - http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?fo=5&fm=58326

I hope you get a few more replies than I did!!

Regards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

Just a technical point, the 85% figure is only a guideline, not a rule. Provided the outfit is safe and none of the manufactures limits are exceeded, no one can prosecute you for exceeding 85%.

However I do agree it is a sensible figure to aim at.

Dont carry food or other consumable items that you will be able to purchase locally at your destination.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

Just a technical point, the 85% figure is only a guideline, not a rule. Provided the outfit is safe and none of the manufactures limits are exceeded, no one can prosecute you for exceeding 85%.

However I do agree it is a sensible figure to aim at.

Dont carry food or other consumable items that you will be able to purchase locally at your destination.
Thanks for the replies, I am keen to be as safe as possible , so I think I will also weigh all the kit and put some items in the car.

I have bought a nose weight guage so I will be able to post my findings on the nose weight Louis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts