weight of van

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
i have a abi award nightstar 1995 5 berth and would like to know what the max weight of the van is,i can tow this with my ford maverick but want to change to a more economical vehicle but because im not sure of weight i dont know what vehicle i can go for,i love the maverick due to it being high up but it is the 2.4 petrol and i find im up and down the gears a bit and it uses lots of petrol.does anyone know what the weight is and also any cars that have good fuel return while towing this van.also i use this vehicle for about 8000 miles while not towing and it just seems silly to be spending all this money on fuel.

HELP US WE ARE SKINT LOL.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You should find details of the max. weight in the owner's handbook. I couldn't find a figure for a 1995 model in the web but the unladen weight of a 1995 Abi Award Nightstar is 1070kg and the max. weight of a 1999 model is 1200kg. If the same figure applies to the '95, that would only give you 130kg payload which sounds a bit low to me. Maybe someone else has better data but these figures at least give you a rough idea.

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the help so far,but need to find out the exact weight,i dont have any paper work with the van as where i bought it from had lost it.

i have never thought about converting to gas,but im not sure if it would be worth it on m reg maverick.

does any body out there know of any other vehicles other than 4x4 that will handle a van of approx 1400 to 1500 loaded.

Thanks again

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
Dean, why not find yourself a TDI Maverick/Terrano. A good M,P or R reg shouldn't break the bank.
hi brian i have thought of that,but someone told me that they are not very good on fuel either.this person told me that i would only get about 3 miles more to the gallon than i get now.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Dean ,just looked in the handbook and your right ,its about 4 mpg so maybe not the best option. I don't think our TDI Maverick uses a lot more fuel when towing a 1650 twinaxle(Certain fairs better than the 2.4 petrol would because of the torque), were as a smaller car towing on its limits is going to use a lot more fuel . Whatever you choose I don't think you will get more than top 20's early 30' to the gallon.

Brian (",)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mercedes 220CDI V Class or Vito Mini Bus or a VW Caravelle.

The V Class would have you at around 73 - 75% for Towing . I have a V and a new Viano.

The V220 or Vito mini bus with the 220 CDI will pull that weigh with no probs, the torque from the CDI is very good and will out perform quite a few 4 X 4's on the road towing and fuel wise as well.

Quite a few other People Carriers should do the job as well.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although I did say that a max weight of 1200kg appeared to be a bit on the low side if the unladen weight is 1070kg, the 1400kg to 1500kg that you mention is just the opposite - that sounds way too high.

The Abi Award Nightstar was known to be on the heavy side so it is highly unlikely that it would allow much more than 200kg payload.

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi i have had four 4x4s and have changed to the new vectra

1.9tdi sri ,150bhp 600 miles on 45pounds worth of fuel ,my terrano did 330 miles 0n 60pounds i tow a bailey ranger and are very impressed and what a bargin

Ian in burmingham .oh dont mention the football.

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi i have had four 4x4s and have changed to the new vectra

1.9tdi sri ,150bhp 600 miles on 45pounds worth of fuel ,my terrano did 330 miles 0n 60pounds i tow a bailey ranger and are very impressed and what a bargin

Ian in burmingham .oh dont mention the football.

Mar 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

If it's any help we use a 1992 (K reg) Audi 100 2.5tdi it is 90bhp

i'm getting 48 mpg and about 38 mpg when towing, this year we intend to use a Vw Sharan 1.9tdi 110 bhp i've towed with it once not sure about the mpg, good luck.

mick.

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
Dean ,just looked in the handbook and your right ,its about 4 mpg so maybe not the best option. I don't think our TDI Maverick uses a lot more fuel when towing a 1650 twinaxle(Certain fairs better than the 2.4 petrol would because of the torque), were as a smaller car towing on its limits is going to use a lot more fuel . Whatever you choose I don't think you will get more than top 20's early 30' to the gallon.

Brian (",)
Thankyou Brian we are thinking of sticking with the mav,coz it is doing our head in trying to find something else and as there is nothing wrong with the mav exept for the amount of fuel lol.

we did think of a volvo v70 but still not sure if it would be as good as what we got.

cheers anyway Dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts