Welsh Ancestry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For all you English "snobs" I have traced one of my ancesters back to William Williams Pantycelyn. Now you lot over the border may not have heard of him but he was a very famous Welsh hymn writer and composed many well known Welsh hymns. As a teaser for you lot can you name his most well known hymn which is often sung at international rugby matches when Wales are playing? One of my wife's ancesters is a horse thief from Cornwall who fled to Wales to escape the noose. He met a girl and married her taking her surname of Jenkins instead of her taking his name, so that he could escape being found.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris - Pantycelyn is a small pretty rural village in west Wales and has no connection with the song you mention. My ancester composed Welsh hymns and not nursery rhymes. Anyway with the PC brigade isn't that nursery rhyme now either banned or rewrritten?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Cwm Rhondda is one of the "classics" of the Welsh hymn tradition. The tune is by John Hughes, Dowlais (1873 - 1932). The words are by Wales' most prolific hymn writer, William Williams Pantycelyn (1717 - 1791).

As a former long standing regular at Methodist Chapel I have probably sung as many of his words than many welsh men ;-0

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. what part of the country is Pantyhose? I have not come across a Roger Roger in the family history so I think this chap was having you on a bit. My family is very selective regarding keeping up traditions and would not have any riff raff on the books. Cris is right in his answer - "Guide me oh thy great Jehova, Pilgrims to this barron land, I am weak but Thou art mighty, Guide me with thy powerful hand, Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more....."

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. what part of the country is Pantyhose? I have not come across a Roger Roger in the family history so I think this chap was having you on a bit. My family is very selective regarding keeping up traditions and would not have any riff raff on the books. Cris is right in his answer - "Guide me oh thy great Jehova, Pilgrims to this barron land, I am weak but Thou art mighty, Guide me with thy powerful hand, Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more....."
A little bit flat there colin!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris the original hymn was written in Welsh and later tanslated into English and set to the tune of Cwm Rhondda. And as you say it only goes to prove that the Welsh as a talented country are very clever. From way back in history there have been many talented Welshmen/women in all walks of life - sciences, literature, music, arts, etc. etc.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have been aware of that for many years Colin.

Apart from my Mother, Aunt and Grandmother being accomplished singers, Mother also sang pro for a time.

My Aunts husband is also Musical director of a famous male voice choir as well as an accompished musician :)

Many many hours singing in church and attending concerts and you pick up a little knowlege here and there !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris - Regarding the talents of the Welsh I am one of those few Welsh persons who is tone deaf. I fall into the catergory similar to Eric Morcombe whereby I migh have the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. Therefore do not ask me to sing at any function apart from funerals where I could possibly manage a durge.

TRENDING THREADS