We're new to caravans....PLEASE ADVISE!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Suggest getting it checked over mechanically, brakes, tyres etc. Might not be a bad idea to have it fully serviced unless you are fully aware of its history.

Robert

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Suggest getting it checked over mechanically, brakes, tyres etc. Might not be a bad idea to have it fully serviced unless you are fully aware of its history.

Robert
Thanks Robert for taking the time to give us such sensible advise. We are having the caravan serviced and a bulldog stabiliser fitted. However we are doing this on a VERY tight budget and would appreciate cost cutting and/or safety tips. Also what suggestions are there for the best route and cheap but yummy sites between Devon and Venice?

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tanya,

You don't say whether you are used to towing or not. If not, whilst it is not difficult driving abroad I would recommend getting some miles under your belt in this coungtry before trying to tow abroad, it's a long way to Italy.

Alan

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Tanya,

You say you are new to caravanning. Alan's suggestion of gaining some towing experience is quite valid, also it might be a good idea to spend even a few nights in your new van just to make sure everything works as it should. You don't want to be discovering faults whilst en route.

With regards to cost and budget are you aware of the camping cheque scheme? these cut price "vouchers" only apply in off peak season therefore should be o.k. for October. If you are a member of one of the two big Clubs you may find it cheaper to book your ferry and camping cheques through them. Shop around, compare booking ferry direct or through Caravan Club. I have also used Select Sites booking service in the past and found they were cheaper than booking online direct with ferry company and sites.

I have never used camping cheques personnaly due to not being able to take main holidays off peak but others on this forum have and comment favourably on them. You could do a forum search and get further information.

The Caravan Club can also be a source of travel information and advice.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/default.htm
http://www.select-site.com/
Good Luck

Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Camping Cheques are a great way of saving money - http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/en/ - but just be aware that a lot of sites close down at the end of September, so check your dates carefully. A quick look at all the sites they use around Venice, for instance, indicates that they are all closed after 30 September. Although sites in England have very long seasons this is not the case on the continent. There are sites open, but they are much more difficult to find in October. Check on the website - select 'Our campsites' and click on the ones near to your planned route, just to check opening dates.

You can save money by not using the toll roads in Europe - get a good map, and check out your route on mappy.com or viamichelin - you can select the toll-free option, and make sure you won't be paying out (tolls can be a significant cost).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya

Welcome to caravanning. The good advice that has been given regarding having the 'van thorougly serviced is vital. I would, also, second the advice that maybe it might be a good idea to caravan a little in the UK first both for your own experience and, also, to highlight any problem with your 'van or car. Even then I wonder if you might not be better to try a nearer continental destination. It is hard to get parts and service for UK Caravans on the Continent, even newer ones!

We have been caravanning for 10 years now and began with going to Brittany, where we had already been as tent campers. I don't want to sound a killjoy but travelling long distances towing on the Continent puts a lot of strain on the caravan and towcar. We gradually built up our towing range and for the last 2 years we have been to Italy. We went to the Lake Como and then on to the Jesolo Peninsula near Venice the first year and Rome and Lake Iseo this year. We LOVE Italy and as we are both teachers we are able to go for 4-5 weeks in the summer.

ing

We have, however, broken down both of the last years - despite having had the car VERY THOROUGHLY CHECKED and SERVICED before going. I would, therefore,counsel that good personal AND caravan orientated motoring breakdown is ESSENTIAL. The best policy IMHO is with the Caravan Club's Red Pennant. It is relatively expensive but having had used it this year it was invaluable. They provided us with 3 different tow cars to replace ours when it broke down near Rome enabling us to continue our hols and tow the caravan home. The previous year we with the cheaper Brittania Rescue - NOT recommended. They were very disorganised and didn't provide tow cars. They gave us a hire car and brought the car and caravan home by lorry. Lots of delays and

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya

Welcome to caravanning. The good advice that has been given regarding having the 'van thorougly serviced is vital. I would, also, second the advice that maybe it might be a good idea to caravan a little in the UK first both for your own experience and, also, to highlight any problem with your 'van or car. Even then I wonder if you might not be better to try a nearer continental destination. It is hard to get parts and service for UK Caravans on the Continent, even newer ones!

We have been caravanning for 10 years now and began with going to Brittany, where we had already been as tent campers. I don't want to sound a killjoy but travelling long distances towing on the Continent puts a lot of strain on the caravan and towcar. We gradually built up our towing range and for the last 2 years we have been to Italy. We went to the Lake Como and then on to the Jesolo Peninsula near Venice the first year and Rome and Lake Iseo this year. We LOVE Italy and as we are both teachers we are able to go for 4-5 weeks in the summer.

ing

We have, however, broken down both of the last years - despite having had the car VERY THOROUGHLY CHECKED and SERVICED before going. I would, therefore,counsel that good personal AND caravan orientated motoring breakdown is ESSENTIAL. The best policy IMHO is with the Caravan Club's Red Pennant. It is relatively expensive but having had used it this year it was invaluable. They provided us with 3 different tow cars to replace ours when it broke down near Rome enabling us to continue our hols and tow the caravan home. The previous year we with the cheaper Brittania Rescue - NOT recommended. They were very disorganised and didn't provide tow cars. They gave us a hire car and brought the car and caravan home by lorry. Lots of delays and

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tanya,

You don't say whether you are used to towing or not. If not, whilst it is not difficult driving abroad I would recommend getting some miles under your belt in this coungtry before trying to tow abroad, it's a long way to Italy.

Alan
Hi Alan, Thanks for your suggestion. We bought the caravan in Oakham and spent 2 happy weeks towing it back to the west country. We are delighted to find that it's very reliable, nevertheless it is in our local garage being checked over!

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Tanya,

You say you are new to caravanning. Alan's suggestion of gaining some towing experience is quite valid, also it might be a good idea to spend even a few nights in your new van just to make sure everything works as it should. You don't want to be discovering faults whilst en route.

With regards to cost and budget are you aware of the camping cheque scheme? these cut price "vouchers" only apply in off peak season therefore should be o.k. for October. If you are a member of one of the two big Clubs you may find it cheaper to book your ferry and camping cheques through them. Shop around, compare booking ferry direct or through Caravan Club. I have also used Select Sites booking service in the past and found they were cheaper than booking online direct with ferry company and sites.

I have never used camping cheques personnaly due to not being able to take main holidays off peak but others on this forum have and comment favourably on them. You could do a forum search and get further information.

The Caravan Club can also be a source of travel information and advice.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/default.htm
http://www.select-site.com/
Good Luck

Robert
Hi again Robert, we have already spent 2 wonderful weeks bring our caravan from oakham to home and are definitely hooked! We have joined the caravan club and LOVE the CLs. Thanks for your advise, I will look into this camping check scheme.

Best wishes

Tanya

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Camping Cheques are a great way of saving money - http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/en/ - but just be aware that a lot of sites close down at the end of September, so check your dates carefully. A quick look at all the sites they use around Venice, for instance, indicates that they are all closed after 30 September. Although sites in England have very long seasons this is not the case on the continent. There are sites open, but they are much more difficult to find in October. Check on the website - select 'Our campsites' and click on the ones near to your planned route, just to check opening dates.

You can save money by not using the toll roads in Europe - get a good map, and check out your route on mappy.com or viamichelin - you can select the toll-free option, and make sure you won't be paying out (tolls can be a significant cost).
Hi Valerie, many thanks for your advise. I've just taken a quick glance at http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/en/ and I see that they think

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Dear Tim, bless you for spending so much time helping us! I'm sure, as a teacher, that your spare time is very limited so this is very generous of you. I'll try to reply to your suggestions point by point:

We are having the car and van serviced before we go and will get the caravan clubs roadside recovery service. Thank you for recommending them over cheaper rivals, we will take your advice.

We will carry spare bulbs and everything else that the caravan club has published on a check list for first timers from mosquito repellent to reflective jackets!

Thanks to Valerie (see above) I've discovered that a lot of the Camping cheque scheme sites will be closed in October. Plus they are not as cheap as CLs. We are beginning to think this whole scheme is harebrained and we should wait a couple of years but my husband is 76 and has always dreamt of going to Venice. We can't go in 2008 for various reasons.

You mention that you just phone ahead for campsites, which is the way we'll want to do it. We don't want to have to stick to a route or itinerary. Do you think our ancient orange mobile will work abroad?

We have looked into ferry fares and will book with the caravan club, what a wonderful organization they are turning out to be!

We will use your advice about tolls roads. What is the name of the free auto route you use from France to Switzerland? I guess we might take slow roads through Switzerland to save on Toll.

I'm sorry to hear that fuel is more expensive in Italy. We really can't afford any of this and are thinking of postponing it. Especially as it seems we may be starting too late in the year.

Wow! Thanks for the offer of your books! You're an angel! My email is flyingtanya@btinternet.com 

Everyone says I should get the caravan club books but they are

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tanya

All the advice you have been given here is good. Tim, in particular, has gone to a lot of trouble to provide you with information, but I do think he is being a little cautious in advising you not to go to Italy. Some people are more adventurous than others and if you want to go to Italy, its not that far, why not go for it. I have been travelling Europe since I was 16 (61 now), first camping with motorbikes, moving on to caravaning later and have had great times. I had a few breakdowns in the early years but always managed to get them sorted out locally - probably more easily than in this country. These days travel, and particularly road conditions, is so much easier- you will have no problems if you follow the advice given and use common sense.

My advice is: Go for it - you won't regret it.

KeithJ
Hi Keith, thanks for your reassurance and encouragement. I must admit that we are feeling rather daunted and are considering canceling. However, I expect you are right and we'll have the trip of a life time! One more week to decide!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Tanya - this is a website which might help you identify more sites in the Venice area which are actually open - there seem to be plenty open right up until the end of November, at a quick glance - so you can reassure yourself that you will find somewhere once you get there! http://www.camping.it/ It looks to have a great selection of sites, from all-singing types, to small local sites. Hope you find places to suit.

This is another site which lists sites within 15 km of the major routes through Europe http://users.pandora.be/leo.huybrechts/00frame.htm - and gives a lot of information, such as opening dates, etc - including highlighting those which are open all year round.

The first time we went with a caravan we highlighted open sites on our map, with a highlight pen in various colours and marked the guidebook in which the site appeared in the same colour so we knew which book to look in for details, and then wherever we ended up by 'looking for a site time' we knew where the nearest available sites were.

Have a very good holiday. Sounds like you're doing all the right things in planning your route, etc. I'd go for it if I were you - especially if you can't make it next year!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya

Thanks for your reply - glad to be of help. I understand a little more of why you want to "go-for-it" this year now. Venice is cetainly a magical place. My wife and I were very impressed with it. It can be a very expensive place too I should warn you. We found that buying daily "Venice Cards" were excellent value as they covered all the public waterbuses (otherwise 5E per trip) public toilets (1E per visit) and entrance to some museums. Restaurants, etc, tend to be very expensive but we avoided this by taking a packed lunch every day that we went in.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to travel through Switzerland using non-motorways as the St Gotthard tunnel, which we used, is part of the motorway system and so needs a vignette. It may be possible to use other passes which are not part of the motorway network but I'm not knowledgeable about those. The other alternative is the route via Austria as you can then get by with the much cheaper Austrian toll vignette. It may well be possible to use non-motorways across Austria. The AA have a free route planner on their website which covers Western Europe.

In France, when travelling, as I mentioned earlier, we stay overnightat the "aires" (service areas) on the autoroutes. These are very frequent and vary from just a picnic spot to ones with petrol stations, restaurants, etc like UK motorway services. The big WOW is that they are FREE and it means that you don't have to leave the motorway and you can just find one when tired. The downside is that many people think staying in them is risky and dangerous because of the risk of being robbed whilst asleep. While I am sure there is an element of risk we have regularly stayed at these aires over the last 10 years without any problem. We are, of course, not stupid and choose aires where there are other lorries or caravanners stopped for the night and avoid the deserted ones. Risky perhaps but a good way of saving money. We keep a little drinking water in the 'van, a bit of flush in the toilet and use the gas for the fridge and cooking when we are stopped. We, also, keep the bed made up so that we can just "fall into it" after a hard day's driving. I have fitted a cheap magnetic door alarm, Lidl

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tanya

We too are planning to go to Italy, only we will be going in 2008. We would welcome your thoughts when you return. I hope you have a wonderful time.

The advice about getting good insurance is very sound. We always buy either Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club insurance. It certainly paid off a couple of years ago whilst we were in Germany. Our son-in-law had a brain haemmorhage whilst we were on our way home. We had to stay in Germany for an extra two weeks whilst he was in intensive care, and he was flown home by air ambulance when he was well enough to travel. He is fine now I'm pleased to say, thanks to the well oiled and well run German hospitals! By very good fortune we were close to the biggest Neuro hospital in Germany and they swung into action very quickly. Needless to say, the whole thing cost an absolute fortune, and the insurance picked up the bill without any complaint. No matter how tight your budget is, buying good insurance is never a waste of money.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya.

Tim is right about Switzerland - it is not really feasible to travel through on non-motorways, as the mountain passes are very high (8,000 feet)and winding - unsuitable for caravans. Also they have designed the motorway network, and sign posted it, so that it is difficult to avoid them, and you will probably end up on one by default!!...which, of course, is an offence.

You can't really avoid them in Austria either for the same reasons, and the Austrian vignette is well worth the comparitively small charge. In fact, the old Gross Glochner pass, which used to be the way through before the motorways were built, is now a National Park, with a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya,

You have had a lot of excellent practical advice - all of which makes absolute sense. We are currently in Bahrain but have spent the best part of 20 years living in northern Germany or Belgium. We have been caravanning there since 1984. For every one holiday out of Italy, we spent two in Italy; in particular we know the Venice area well. We got into caravanning by accident really - did a weekend away to see what we needed and then towed over 1000 miles to the Gargano penisular on the Adriatic coast in Italy. We were absolute novices when we set off and came back completely hooked - if you will pardon the pun. The tents never saw light of day again! All I would add is "go for it" and if I can be of any specific help on routes,campsites etc, my email address is rjrwest@hotmail.com.

Good luck,

Bob

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone, Thank you for all your help! I am amazed and delighted at the support that I have been offered. I've just got in and I'm working tomorrow so I'll go through everyone's sugestions and reply to them on monday. Till then, thanks again,

Tanya :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My immediate reaction upon reading this post is that it's a long, long way to go for three weeks. To the centre of Europe, yes. Italy....no way.

Bear in mind the huge distance you're going to be travelling. Also the amount of fuel that you will use, the speed limits you'll have to adhere to, and the time you'll be spending on the road, which will be very considerable. Also you'll be on foreign roads with all the usual pitfalls that arise when driving abroad.

We used to go down to the Nice/Antibes area of France by car, sharing the driving, (without the caravan), quite frequently, and it's one hell of a drive even with the fairly powerful car we have. Well over 1200 miles from home. The cost in fuel, time and sheer exhaustion, eventually convinced us that an Easyjet flight and a local hire car was a lot more economical, and far less hassle, not to mention wear and tear on both ourselves and our car.

I don't want to put a damper on your plans, but personally, I'd consider somewhere not so distant, especially for a first caravan outing.

My wife and I have both lived and worked in Europe, her in Germany, and me in France, Italy and Holland. We've got well over 100,000 miles of 'foreign driving' between us.

Europe (especially France and Germany, looks SO small on a map.....Don't be fooled. From a driving point of view, it's hard work for the sort of distance that you are suggesting, especially towing a caravan. In all honesty, as a very experienced caravanner, I would not do it.

I admire you for wanting to, but i think for a first outing with an unknown caravan it's way way too ambitious.

Keep us posted.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya

I tend to agree with Keith about the time factor. We drove to the Ligurian coast last May via Paris and Lake Annecy, intending to be away for between 4 - 6 weeks as my husband had just retired. We took 11 days to reach Italy which was to be the main part of our holiday. Upon reaching our campsite there, we developed car and caravan problems, and believe me, you suddenly feel a long way from home. The car was useable, but there was the slight niggle for the rest of the trip about whether it would get worse. Fortunately it didn,t and we did have Red Pennant insurance should we have needed it.

Once problems developed it was not very easy to 'switch off' and so we started for home sooner than intended. When we arrived home we had been away exactly three weeks and had I known we were going to do this, I would not have done it!! Although driving in France is easy, Italian roads are moree difficult and busy. If you do decide to go, time your arrival at busier towns carefully to avoid the worst of the rush hour.

We have been caravanners for 30 years and had driven to Europe before but not with the caravan. If you could go for longer, I think the trip would be great, but we found that doing it in three weeks meant we never stayed in one place long enough to relax which should be part of the trip also.

I can understand your desire to go and generally I would also say 'just do it' but if three weeks is your deadline, consider what this three weeks might in reality be like.

P.S. If Venice is your goal, and I too loved it, perhaps fly there for a short break and then try your caravan holiday just somewhere a little nearer. Keep us informed!!

with best wishes

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tanya,

Both Keith and Chris make a very good point about distance. I told you about our first trip to the Gargano really to say "don't be put off by the towing". Distance is another thing. As an experienced caravanners, it would take us 1.5 days to get from the Dutch border to Venice - stopping around 7pm on the first evening and leaving at 9.30am the following day. From Calais, or equivalent, taking it slowly, it would probably take you a good 3 days. Whatever you decide, we all have a fair amount of European experience between us and are happy to help.

Wherever you end up, I hope you have a great holiday.

Bob

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your enthusiasm and time. It would be foolhardy to ignore all your wise advice so with a mixture of regret and relief we have decided to take our holiday in the West Country this year! We hadn't realized how much expense and preparation is required for a continental tour. Also we now know that a lot of the sites will be closed and that it's really too late in the year. Never mind, we will still go to Venice one day, perhaps by air!

With best wishes

Tanya

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A very wise decision.

You were actually planning to tow a caravan that you haven't towed before, on a round trip distance approaching 2700 miles in three weeks. By the time you'd costed this trip, ferry, fuel, tolls, site fees, food, etc etc, I think you would NOT have had an enjoyable holiday.

Glad you aren't going to do it. Enjoy your stay in the UK.

Go by air, it will be half the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts