Whale IC Pump Problems

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the Ecocamel shower head, in our van and it works fine from the Aquaroll pump, I have the Original Truma pump and have also the Whale pump with Truma fitting. Both are great.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have the Truma Ultraflow in barrel pump which came with the van (2015). Pressure and flow is sufficient though not great. Would prefer an on board pump. I put one in a previous van, like Tay & Dustydog. And I will do the same on this one if the Truma one fails rather than fork out £50 for a new one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Tay & Dustydog for the heads up on this one. Yes going back to on barrel just seems a bit low rent on new van - what type and make of pump have you got fitted, I note from their website that Whale do produce inboards but it might be useful to have your input as to make and type.

I have one of those save water Ecocamel shower heads fitted and to be honest it’s a waste of time when it’s being driven by an in barrel pump as there doesn’t seem to be enough pressure to make it function as it was designed to do. I have closed off the two air inlets on the Shower head handle and flow output is better because it isn’t pulsing due to air / water mixing in the head. No apparent increase in water consumption as time taken to shower now shorter.

My caravan has a Whale on board with surge suppressor fitted as standard. but I've also used Sureflo - both fine. I'm not convinced about Ecocamel shower head either. You may find the on-board pump will give better pressure at the shower head but it gets though the water quicker too

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Tintentman.
Not sure if your pump problem is now solved but I had the same probs as you.
Sometimes pump would run,sometimes not.
Water running out of housing on outside of van.
I have the same ic unit and did the following.......
Hold button in until led is showing "solid"
Open COLD tap in shower for approx.30 seconds.
Turn off cold shower tap.
Return to button and press until it goes out.
Led should then flash green every 5 seconds.
Pump now works perfect with a "run on"of about 5 seconds when tap is turned off.

If yours isnt sorted yet.....I hope this works.👍

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
....I don’t know what the complete answer is regarding returning caravans to dealers. But, the frequency could be much reduced by better quality control in manufacture and a more rigorous PDI.

I totally agree the root cause of many issues is poor quality assurance by the manufacturer's but under UK law when you make a purchase from a retailer, you have established a contract. The UK's Consumer Rights Act which superseded the Sale of Goods Act in 2015 (CRA) sets out a number of criteria that place obligations on both the customer and the seller.

The CRA is separate and totally independent and superior to the Manufacturer's Warranty.

If goods are faulty by way of :-
  • design, materials or manufacture,
  • or are not of merchantable or durable quality,
  • or not fit for purpose,
  • or are not as described by the seller,
Then the customers recourse is against the other party (ies) in the contract. This might also include a finance house where they have financed the transaction.

Consequently if you have a fault with a product your statutory rights are against the contracted supplier to whom you pay your money. (Responsibility follows the money trail)

Unless the manufacturer is also the retailer, you have NO contract of sale with the manufacturer.

These are your statutory rights, and why you may need to return goods to the supplying dealer to have warranty work carried out.

The Manufacturers Guaranty is a totally separate contract which has been gifted to the end user by the Manufacturer, Its terms and conditions are established by the manufacturer. Whilst most caravan manufacturers have established a dealer network that can handle some simple warranty issues through the Manufacturers guarantee scheme, it can never usurp your statutory rights which are sacrosanct between you and your contract of sale parties.

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. Went through two pumps in two years approximately four weeks use each. I got a new pump from whale as it was under warranty and never used it. What I did was got a Seaflo 16 litre pump off eBay and put it on the old connector after cutting off the whale pump. Never had any problem since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts