Whale pump problem.

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi, sitting in my 2017 Elddis Avente on holiday and suddenly heard the water pump running. Discovered water gushing out from where the pump plugs into the outside of the van. Turned pump off, Turned taps on full, then turned pump on again. Water comes out the taps but also still gushing down the outside of the van.
Anyone any ideas what has happened to cause this? The pressure switch isn't turning the pump off but with the taps opened I thought that that would be enough to stop the water from pouring out at the inlet connection.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi, sitting in my 2017 Elddis Avente on holiday and suddenly heard the water pump running. Discovered water gushing out from where the pump plugs into the outside of the van. Turned pump off, Turned taps on full, then turned pump on again. Water comes out the taps but also still gushing down the outside of the van.
Anyone any ideas what has happened to cause this? The pressure switch isn't turning the pump off but with the taps opened I thought that that would be enough to stop the water from pouring out at the inlet connection.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks.
Thanks, there are 2 o rings. I did feel around both and couldn't feel any breaks or cracks. One of them sits out a bit but the other is at best flush with the edge of the groove that it sits in. I'm not sure if it's doing anything. Perhaps it needs replacing. What do you think?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, there are 2 o rings. I did feel around both and couldn't feel any breaks or cracks. One of them sits out a bit but the other is at best flush with the edge of the groove that it sits in. I'm not sure if it's doing anything. Perhaps it needs replacing. What do you think?
Simple. Change them. You have experienced their classic failure.
But just check none of the other pipework has fractured. The O rings are product specific and not just out the ALDI cheapo selection box..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stating the obvious you have a leak, and to improve the situation you need to identify what is leaking and replace the parts that are allowing it to leak. Strictly its not the pump that is the problem its the pump inlet, but without seeing it its difficult to be certain where the leak may be occuring, but the O rings are a good place to start.

With a leak where you have described, if you have a pressurised system it may prevent the pump from developing enough pressure to turn the pressure switch off, so until you have resolved the leak its best to use the pumps electrical switch in the caravan to prevent it labouring unnecessarily, which will shorten its life and could make it fail.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's possible the the hose fitment inside the connector is leaking - I had this problem repeatedly on my 2001 Bailey - but can't remember whether it was Truma or Whale

Reactions: Footerer
Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
The common problem, as per Roger L’s post, is the pipe coming loose.
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2903.jpegIMG_2902.jpegIf you can take the inlet fitting apart (the screws are buried deep) a couple of Ty-wraps will keep the pipe secure. You will have to take a stanley knife (or similar) to the pipe support to make clearance for the cable ties. One of my spares now - current ‘van has an onboard pump.

TRENDING THREADS