Whale pump

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I have just fitted a new whale pump inlet on my Bessacarr 495. When I attached the pump it drew the water into the internal tank. But when I switched on the taps, instead of the water coming out through them, the water was pumped out of the caravan through the pipe inlet.! Can anyone tell me what I have done wrongly?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It sounds awfully like you have connected the pump in reverse, i.e. inlet and outlet on the wrong sides.

If you still have the handbook, you should have the piping diagram.

Where the connectors are on the pump, there are two arrows to indicate direction of flow. I would start there.

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but there is only one pipe to connect to - the one that takes the water in - which it does. But when I turn on a tap, water is ejected from the internal tank through the same pipe! I originally connected the two wires - red to + and blue to -.. When I had the problem I tried reversing them - but no change.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I was referring to the pump itself rather than the inlet. However, there are more knowledgeable people here than me, perhaps if you take a pic looking down on the pipework, somebody with that system may be able to help.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Did you replace like-for-like or change manufacturer and design? If the latter there may have been an in-built non return valve in the housing, whereas the new design doesn't have one. :(

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't have an on-board tank in my van, so I'm not familiar with the set up.

But it does sound like there should be a non-return valve on the inlet pipe.

Is it possible to put your thumb over the end of the inlet as you switch the tap on?

If you are able to do that and the water subsequently flows through the tap then your problem is a non-return valve (I should think!)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
The caravan is a Bessacarr495 year 2001. After 6 hours of trying everything I'm going to take the van to a service dealer. I've tried everything - even using the internal parts from the old inlet socket ( I was only wanting to replace the external cap which had snapped off!!) but nothing works. Thanks everyone for trying.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
peterjames98 said:
The caravan is a Bessacarr495 year 2001. After 6 hours of trying everything I'm going to take the van to a service dealer. I've tried everything - even using the internal parts from the old inlet socket ( I was only wanting to replace the external cap which had snapped off!!) but nothing works. Thanks everyone for trying.

Have a look at this on page 24 ;)

To use an on-line water system (“AquaSource”)
with an inboard/underslung tank,
isolate the tank facility by turning the in-line
stem shut-off valve to the OFF position

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
HI
I looked at page 24 but, as my caravan IS a Cameo, it isn't clear what I have to do. The puzzling thing is that everything worked fine until I tried to replace the inlet item. ie. I didn't turn off any switches. But I've booked the caravan in now. Many thanks anyway.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
peterjames98 said:
I was only wanting to replace the external cap which had snapped off!!.

..........is this what you needed?

3663.jpg

you can buy these flaps as a replacement!! ........ without changing the complete socket.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Always worth asking on here first as chances are some of us have been there and done that.
It is worth remembering that Whale are very good at supplying spares and repair kits for their products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts