Whale water heater

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi I am new to this just asking if anyone else has had an issue with the underfloor whale water heater drain off / pressure relief valve leaking when water reaches temperature.
It happens every time I use the caravan. Sometimes it’s ok for a couple of hours then it just at full pressure lets the water go.
I returned caravan to dealer who fitted a new drain valve and said that was the problem.
This was not true as it still leaks every time I use it.
If anyone else has suffered with this issue I would love to know how to fix.

Regards

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Could it be that the drain valve doubles as a pressure relief valve?

If so, it might be that it is faulty, (even the new one).
Or, perhaps it is working properly and just relieving pressure.
Or, perhaps the thermostat is faulty, and the boiler is overheating.

Is the leak continuous or only when it has reached temperature?

John

Reactions: Se@n3662
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to the installation instructions, the pressure relief valve also doubles as the drain valve. This is mounted at the bottom of the heater, but it has a shaft which allows it to be controlled from inside the caravan.

If we assume the replacement valve is working correctly, then that leads to the suspicion the water pressure inside the heater is rising beyond the valves dump pressure. This may be caused by two possibilities, the first is the cold water pressure is too high, according to the instructions it should be no greater than 1.9 Bar. And the second is the heater is not regulating it's maximum temperature.

What arrangements do you have for the cold water supply? Is it a direct hose from a tap, or a submersible or in board water pump?

The reason the cold pressure should not exceed 1.9Bar is because the heater has a non return valve fitted to its cold water input, so when water is pumped into the heater it will pressurise the tank to the cold supply pressure an lock it in. The heater will be designed to trap some air at the top of the tank to act as an expansion space for the water as it is heated . The heating will cause the pressure in the tank to increase, but the designers will have designed the air space to accommodate the heating pressure rise.

If the cold water pressure is greater than 1.9Bar then the additional pressure caused by heating may exceed the pressure relief valves threshold so it will allow some water out to drop the tank pressure.

If the heater does fail to turn off when it reaches it's designed temperature and it continues to heat, this will also cause the pressure to rise, and it may exceed the PRV threshold and release some water.

If there is a constant dribble, then that suggests a leak on the heater or cold water supply is constantly exceeding the heaters input pressure limit.

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes, all the time. We've had ours looked at and adjusted, but it still happens. We were told that it's a common problem. We stay on fully serviced pitches and use the Whale Water Master for direct mains water to the van. We do have the means to use an electric pump, but of course, the frequent leaks meant that the pump kept turning itself on all the time.

I find myself turning the valve on and off, rapidly, at intervals during the day, to try to prevent it. In the past, it's just burst open, and water has come gushing out below the van - hardly "an eggcup full" as they describe!

I think it's a great system in theory. When it works, it's great, but in practice, the quality of its parts lets it down. We also have the problem with the block that plugs into the water inlet on the side of the van. For the second time, the "lip" that keeps the block inside the sliding cover has snapped off, which leaves the block part hanging out, which reduces the water flow. I'm going to try to effect a repair with some tape and a thin rod, as we're not prepared to fork out for a third Watermaster if we can help it.

I don't know if the Truma water system is any better, but we're stuck with Whale. I wish I knew how to sort the leaking valve problem once and for all, too. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Se@n3662
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, all the time. We've had ours looked at and adjusted, but it still happens. We were told that it's a common problem. We stay on fully serviced pitches and use the Whale Water Master for direct mains water to the van. We do have the means to use an electric pump, but of course, the frequent leaks meant that the pump kept turning itself on all the time.

I find myself turning the valve on and off, rapidly, at intervals during the day, to try to prevent it. In the past, it's just burst open, and water has come gushing out below the van - hardly "an eggcup full" as they describe!

I think it's a great system in theory. When it works, it's great, but in practice, the quality of its parts lets it down. We also have the problem with the block that plugs into the water inlet on the side of the van. For the second time, the "lip" that keeps the block inside the sliding cover has snapped off, which leaves the block part hanging out, which reduces the water flow. I'm going to try to effect a repair with some tape and a thin rod, as we're not prepared to fork out for a third Watermaster if we can help it.

I don't know if the Truma water system is any better, but we're stuck with Whale. I wish I knew how to sort the leaking valve problem once and for all, too. 🤷‍♀️
Whale watch this site and have been very willing to assist with resolving problems. You could give them a call.

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Wow my first post and some great responses thank you so much.
I am not sure of the sites water pressure but it happens on every site.
I use water containers and a submersible pump. I don’t think there is any temperature adjustment via the keypad only economy setting.
To stop the water you just reset the drain valve switching back and forth several times then it’s ok for another while.
I have had to switch off the water each night because of this issue and turn on in the morning and wait for hot water.
I think it possibly does leak because sometimes the pump keeps starting on its own as well as the pressure release problem.

Rgs
Sean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This information does suggest there is more than likely a problem with the heater rather than the water supply.

As Otherclive has suggested Whale have often read of problems on this site and made contact, but I agree there is everything to be gained contacting them direct .

Company:
Contact Name:
Address:
Email:
Phone:
Fax:
Munster Simms Engineering Ltd
Munster Simms Engineering Ltd
Old Belfast Road, Bangor, Co. Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. BT19 1LT.
www.whalepumps.com
sales@whalepumps.com
02891 276 541
02891 466 421

Whale have been in the business of water delivery systems for decades longer than Truma, and they have had a good record of practical and reliable products. Almost every manufacture will from time to time produce a lemon, and when it happens it get splashed across the forum pages, but if you were to look at the numbers of units out there apparently working with no problems you can begin to see that its probably not a particularly common problem, but never-the-less clearly its annoying for you.

I have had professional dealings with Whale and they are usually very open and helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts