What a crap site

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've just come back from a bank holiday nightmare at a farm camp site in N Wales. This one is just a few yards from the Tywyn turn off the Machynlleth to Dolgellau (A487)in north wales.

The site was at the very bottom of a steep sided valley, with about 200 yards of flat ground, so you got about 3 hours of sun per day max.

The worst thing was the facilities. A none decorated breeze block toilet hut ( could't call it a block I've got a bigger garden shed!!)Just 2 loos & 1 shower each for around 4/500 campers. I'd never que'd at 6-30am before to use the loo!

5 household dustbins for rubbish! and two water taps for 40 caravans in our field. There was no shop at all. You had a 10 mile drive to get any supplies.

Then it rained!!

The whole site turned into a bog. We had litterally inches of water in the awnings. The ground was so soft you dare not park the car off the gravelled areas. Some of the vans would only of been accessable using wellies. You could see rut's 4/5 inches deep from vans that pulled off.

Should of known when I got there, the cheecky farmer over charged me by a quid because I'd not booked the week.

If ever they want to make a new "carry on camping" then they have the perfect ready made site and even the farmer can be thrown into the star role.

What I'd love to know is how on earth did he get his license to operate. He is listed in the camping and caravan club big sites book, and also has a web site.

Mind you, the picture of Tallylyn lake that is said to be only a mile from the sight was taken with rose tinted glasses and a 5000 time magnification lense on the camera from a helicopter.

Definately not a site to see let alone stay on.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If I was you Steve I would contact the Caravan Club and see if they've inspected the site. For some reason that part of Wales and just further south seem to have different Local Regulations to the rest of Britain. Just take the puppy farms for instance, nowhere in the country are they allowed to carry out their vile trade but in West Wales they carry on with impunity. I don't think Planning Regulations exist there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, when I saw the heading for your posting I thought it was about this site, the General section in particular. Then I realised I was being ungracious and it really is interesting. I'm glad we have a new posting in the forum about adult only sites now that the windbreaker one has run its course. When we get that out of the way we can have a 4x4 drivers waste the worlds resources, break speed limits etc and then perhaps an interesting discussion on the merits, or otherwise, of taking a tv with you. I'm really looking forward to the winter when we can all spend more time on the forum and less caravanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I was you Steve I would contact the Caravan Club and see if they've inspected the site. For some reason that part of Wales and just further south seem to have different Local Regulations to the rest of Britain. Just take the puppy farms for instance, nowhere in the country are they allowed to carry out their vile trade but in West Wales they carry on with impunity. I don't think Planning Regulations exist there.
It was the Camping & Caravan Club that was mentioned,not the Caravan Club.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Steve, when I saw the heading for your posting I thought it was about this site, the General section in particular. Then I realised I was being ungracious and it really is interesting. I'm glad we have a new posting in the forum about adult only sites now that the windbreaker one has run its course. When we get that out of the way we can have a 4x4 drivers waste the worlds resources, break speed limits etc and then perhaps an interesting discussion on the merits, or otherwise, of taking a tv with you. I'm really looking forward to the winter when we can all spend more time on the forum and less caravanning.
Im sorry I posted an observation regarding kids Ray and if its already been discussed before I again apologise. Lets go to debating the types of gravel on hardstandings or even if hardstandings are neccessary. After all they are depriving the birds of reaching worms. Why not debate which sites have hard or soft water or which kinds of trees grow on sites because we dont want to pitch under trees that are prone to aphids and their nasty sticky honeydew droppings. How about discussing the mating habits of the wasp and when not to go away because of being pestered by the blighters. A nice topic would be colour schemes for Caravan Clubs to paint their buildings, what paint to use and its drying potential and durability. We could also debate the habits of Caravannicus Grumpica, a kind of humanoid spotted in selected areas of the country - oops forgot - thats already been discussed. By the way Ray, by your post do I take it you condone the behaviour of those parents/kids I posted about. Is it societies fault that the parents have been neglected by not being informed on good parenting? Is it my fault that the ducks and I should be more tolerant of these people? Should I put up windbreaks, close my curtains, put earplugs in and hope the problem will go away?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Im sorry I posted an observation regarding kids Ray and if its already been discussed before I again apologise. Lets go to debating the types of gravel on hardstandings or even if hardstandings are neccessary. After all they are depriving the birds of reaching worms. Why not debate which sites have hard or soft water or which kinds of trees grow on sites because we dont want to pitch under trees that are prone to aphids and their nasty sticky honeydew droppings. How about discussing the mating habits of the wasp and when not to go away because of being pestered by the blighters. A nice topic would be colour schemes for Caravan Clubs to paint their buildings, what paint to use and its drying potential and durability. We could also debate the habits of Caravannicus Grumpica, a kind of humanoid spotted in selected areas of the country - oops forgot - thats already been discussed. By the way Ray, by your post do I take it you condone the behaviour of those parents/kids I posted about. Is it societies fault that the parents have been neglected by not being informed on good parenting? Is it my fault that the ducks and I should be more tolerant of these people? Should I put up windbreaks, close my curtains, put earplugs in and hope the problem will go away?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, I think you will find that it is a C&CC 'Listed' site. This means it appears in their 'Big Sites Book' but they are in no way responsible for it - I think the site actually pays to be listed. This is different from their own club sites and 5 van site which they have licensed and have to conform to certain standards. The CC have a similar set up.

Personal experience has tought me to avoid farm camp sites especially in peak periods. I live in Dorset and there are many that are basically fields with minimal facilities open only in the summer. I think Tina had similar experience at a site in Wales if my memory is correct. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris, I don't condone bad behaviour by children or adults on any site, or elsewhere for that matter. I have a teenage daughter and caravan with her all over the place and she is very well behaved but I also use adult only sites when I wish to. My philosophy is let and let live with everybody free to do what they want as long as it's legal and it dosn't harm others. This includes postings in the forum.

By the way I'm looking forward to the winter even more now that you have suggested some good discussion points to get the forum really up to speed. Best wishes Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning all!

Well done to Steve for warning us about this site. On another thread it was suggested that a review of CL's and other sites would be a good idea as the CC Directory can hardly carry anymore info as good as it is already.

Surely the only way to get these poor sites to improve is to hit them in their pocket.

There are websites where I can review a resort in the Greek Isles., Turkey, Spain or wherever but I cannot find a comprehensive review of what other caravaners think of sites I may want to use in the UK.

Unless anyone knows of one that I don't - isn't the suggestion of such a site a good one?

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Morning Clive, a site review could be started here on UK parks and touring, we could all post a review on every site we visit using the site name in the topic so we could do a search. Whether anyone could be bothered is another thing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive

can I suggest you have a look at www.ukcampsite.co.uk

they have a great website with a very active forum and a section for reveiws of campsites (warts and all) submitted by members of the forum. Be warned it does get addictive!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Good idea Roy and if people also put what county after the site in their heading. I would be more than happy to post sites I have been too, hopefully without being sued by some owners heheh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a couple of good sites where caravanners put their own comments about sites. as well a the ukcampsite.co.uk there is the Touring and tenting........ http://www.touringandtenting.com/ and one I like in particular Independant Campsite Reviews.......

http://www.campsite.f9.co.uk/. People are welcome to put comments in their own words on the independant reviews then you have the chance to sy how accurate you think it is.

Mike

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Clive

can I suggest you have a look at www.ukcampsite.co.uk

they have a great website with a very active forum and a section for reveiws of campsites (warts and all) submitted by members of the forum. Be warned it does get addictive!
Caroline you're a sweetheart, I've been looking for a site dedicated to camp sites, I'm off to have a butchers right now, Ta-x

Sep 26, 2005
Visit site
I stayed here for the May bank holiday. It was damp underfoot but I thought it was a great little site. Ideal for small children and those of us just looking for a little tranquility.

The loo block was nice & clean and the farmer was very friendly. There was a number of vans pitched up for the season at I believe a very reasonable price.

We will be going back next year.

Ste

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hold the phone Lord B you forgot the 4x4 bit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts