What a shame

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a shame that the moderator has acted as he/she has on the latest +/- 4x4 debate. Whilst the debate was certainly getting a little "hot" this was in the main due to the anti's not being able to sustain their unreasonable belief that there is no good reason whatsoever for owning a 4x4. The thread prior to erasure had forced these individuals to admit that we all have a choice. In other words we were getting somewhere - even though hard facts were returned with personal abuse.

From a personal viewpoint I did not appreciate being called stupid, accused of sucking up, being a bully of a driver, drunk, and my spelling criticised. On top of that, there was an absurdly derogatory attack on certain educational qualifications that I found truly bizarre considering the Forum and Topic.

But having "been around the block a few times" - knew that if someone resorts to personal abuse then they are on the back foot.

My spelling was criticised by a "marsupial" who had previously hounded a contributor who is clearly dyslexic in an appalling display of vindictiveness.

At the time I was saddened and dismayed that the moderator allowed this to happen. I was even more surprised when a thread which was actually achieving a consensus was yesterday partially removed.

I also visit other Forums including a Land Rover based one. Interestingly there is an anti-caravan movement on this that crops up from time to time but it has NEVER been as puerile and vicious as seen here with the anti 4x4 brigade. Surely it would be more mature to accept that as caravaners we have more in common than our differing choice of tow vehicle?

I would like to suggest that rather than erase threads the moderator should flag up unreasonable or abusive postings with a warning of some kind.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
The last 20 or so messages under the 4x4 thread were removed for all the reasons you give above!

There were so many abusive, personal and irrelevant postings.

My one regret is that, in the interests of freedom of speech, I let it go on so long.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for responding however - I think you have missed the point- those of us who feel we had added constuctively to what is a heated debate have sufferred censore along with those buying abusive.

I would also ask that you consider my request regarding the hijacking of this forum by those with an anti 4x4 axe to grind.

Surely using this forum to promote the banning of anything that is perfectly legal is an abuse?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Messages which contravene our forum etiqette, especially:

"You may not transmit any material that is abusive, threatening, obscene, or sexually explicit"

- will be removed in future and the person responsible for the posting warned that forum membership may be terminated if there is any repetition.

We don't want people to stop visiting our forum in disgust at the tone and content of some messages. Equally we do not want our younger members exposed to some of the themes that have developed recently.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for taking a firm stand.

Will this apply equally to the Chit Chat link, which is in my opinion already degenerating?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the moderator who has my full support. PC have provided this forum at no cost to the users. Since it has changed from the old format it has been hijacked and I can see it becoming unusable for the use for which it was introduced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not think anyone can object to this firmer stance from the moderator given what has gone on lately.

Can I ask for clarification on the point I raised regarding individuals using the forum to advocate the banning of something that is perfectly legal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can I also point out item 2, 3 and 6 on the forum etiqette, there's clear been an abuse of these rule especially by one individual and clearly what clive is asking in the previous comment is covered by the later

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
The publishers of PCV are unhappy at the behaviour of a very few forum users in recent weeks and are determined in future to be more firm with those who contravene the forum etiquette.

If you feel in future that someone has been abusive, threatening, obscene, or sexually explicit, please email the moderator on pcvforum@templenet.co.uk and I will try to moderate fairly. I'll ask for my email address to be added to the foot of the forum etiquette page.

Please don't rise to anyone's bait and respond with like. That only makes you as bad as the one who started it off.

Persistent offenders will have their forum membership terminated.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
The last 20 or so messages under the 4x4 thread were removed for all the reasons you give above!

There were so many abusive, personal and irrelevant postings.

My one regret is that, in the interests of freedom of speech, I let it go on so long.
I agree with all the postings on this subject and was appalled at the swearing on one particular post. Whatever car/caravan you have is down to personal choice along with hard work and savings to get the outfit of choice. Those who gripe for the sake of it are not worth arguing with. Keep up the good work. And I have a Discovery Tdi and a Lunar Lexon 640 which we worked damn hard to get. It does get rather boring hearing all the rubbish from certain members. What happened to Live and let live, and caravanners are one big happy family.

Regards

Jan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your comments Mr/Mrs moderator but I must point out that you seem to be focusing on one part of the forum etiquette while ignoring comments that clearly contravene other parts, these are the comments that usually start the threads to go in the wrong direction which invariable result in the abusive and personal comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts