what do i buy??????????

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
we currently have a saab 900 petrol to tow our compass omega 1987 van but we find it not good on hills and is lacking pulling power with it not being turbo.we want to buy another car, a turbo diesel but cant decide what to buy.we are looking at peugeot 406 p or r reg or vauhall omega or frontera but everyone has varying points of view any suggestions??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know much about your car choices Darren, all three will tow quite well, but what I would advise, is to plan ahead. Are you going to be changing the caravan soon or before you change your car again? What's the likelihood that you might want to tow something bigger or heavier than what you have now? I found it is cheaper to ensure your car is capable of towing something you might want later on, rather than having to change it when you change your van. I found out yes, but too late!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello darren,

I used to use a Saab 9000 2 litre (Non turbo) and in genral that was fine for towing. I have more recently swapped for the Saab 93.2.2 diesel which whilst it has tall gearing , its ability is pretty good especially on motorways.

I momentarily swapped away from Saab, but regretted it and changed to the 93.

The more recent 1.9 Tid models are receiving good reviews, so it would be worth a look.

There aere some very fine diesels around now, its down to personal preference.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
Hello darren,

I used to use a Saab 9000 2 litre (Non turbo) and in genral that was fine for towing. I have more recently swapped for the Saab 93.2.2 diesel which whilst it has tall gearing , its ability is pretty good especially on motorways.

I momentarily swapped away from Saab, but regretted it and changed to the 93.

The more recent 1.9 Tid models are receiving good reviews, so it would be worth a look.

There aere some very fine diesels around now, its down to personal preference.
i do like my saab it has to be said,only got 2grand and whatever we can get for our car so choices are limited and it has to be diesel

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
I don't know much about your car choices Darren, all three will tow quite well, but what I would advise, is to plan ahead. Are you going to be changing the caravan soon or before you change your car again? What's the likelihood that you might want to tow something bigger or heavier than what you have now? I found it is cheaper to ensure your car is capable of towing something you might want later on, rather than having to change it when you change your van. I found out yes, but too late!
chances are we probably will change because shes gettin on a bit but will probably get the same size van again ,i know that newer vans might weigh more but dont think we will go to much bigger

TRENDING THREADS