What do you do?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What do you do to pass the time during this lockdown as gardening, washing and polishing the car/caravan etc seems to be out of the question? After awhile watching TV gets boring no matter how many subscription channels you have.
Reading books helps but after awhile you find many books have the same or similar format. I have found reading books on historical events quite interesting. We have never really played games like Monopoly, Cluedo etc., but maybe now would be good time to reconsider however OH does not like games like trivial Pursuit etc. Playing cards is not of interest to either of us. I have bought a jigsaw puzzle to help stimulate the brain a bit as it needs a lot of that at present.
At the moment exercise is limited to using the treadmill and short walks outside. Also use some small dumbbells to exercise arms. However still need to do a lot more exercise, but arthritis limits one some what.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Go out for a solo good walk each day, take the dogs out for their exercise, read the paper end to end, read novels, war history, small jobs around house and garden, sort out stuff that really should have been thrown out years ago. Talk to friends and family by phone, some weights, etc. Funnily enough neither of us have watched daytime tv and other than live 6 Nations, F1 or MOTOGP it rarely if ever goes on before supper time. Also spend quite a bit of time on the computer and scanner sorting out all of our photos and those historical family ones recently inherited. A future plan is Ancestry when time permits.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the start gardening was the big job but now Winter is here there is not a lot to do. Some work inside the house is being done, but this weather even walking looks dangerous.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well at present i am on bedrest with my ulcer so i cannot do much except read and watch tv send a text to my son and see if there anymore news in the family but the weather at present we having is severe frost and very sunny both dogs have had there walk .
Take Care

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Like Ray, gardening took up plenty of time in the good weather but now that's come to a halt for a while. We'll take a walk when we can but its more indoor time recently.

My wife does lots of jigsaw puzzles and kniting plus solataire on her Tablet. Occasionally I'll let her beat me at Scrabble.

Photography is one of my hobbys and I'll take some shots locally if possible and also some table top macro shots. Recently though I've been going through the vast collection of scanned family photos with the intention of making slideshows of them.

As Monty Python sang ' Always look on the bright side of life'

Take care everyone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Like Ray, gardening took up plenty of time in the good weather but now that's come to a halt for a while. We'll take a walk when we can but its more indoor time recently.

My wife does lots of jigsaw puzzles and kniting plus solataire on her Tablet. Occasionally I'll let her beat me at Scrabble.

Photography is one of my hobbys and I'll take some shots locally if possible and also some table top macro shots. Recently though I've been going through the vast collection of scanned family photos with the intention of making slideshows of them.

Take care everyone.
The biggest issue is scanning them to load them onto a database as they have to be done one by one. I did try, but gave up after awhile as very time consuming. No issue with digital photos.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Take care everyone.
I’m doing the same with old family photos, pus sifting hundreds of slides taken by my father, land my own family slides too. I push each one through a viewer to see if I want to keep it. Those that I keep I transfer onto to an SD card via Kodak slide scanner, then they will be loaded onto the MAC fir editing before going Cloud-based. Time consuming but rewarding too. Especially since I don’t have to now load up slide viewer carousels.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m doing the same with old family photos, pus sifting hundreds of slides taken by my father, land my own family slides too. I push each one through a viewer to see if I want to keep it. Those that I keep I transfer onto to an SD card via Kodak slide scanner, then they will be loaded onto the MAC fir editing before going Cloud-based. Time consuming but rewarding too. Especially since I don’t have to now load up slide viewer carousels.
Our scanner is one of those printer /scanner combinations so can only do one photo at a time. What is a Kodak slide scanner? Can you scan a photo and input it onto a USB stick in one simple move?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our scanner is one of those printer /scanner combinations so can only do one photo at a time. What is a Kodak slide scanner? Can you scan a photo and input it onto a USB stick in one simple move?

Yes and old negatives too. You can input a slide and it either puts it onto an SD card or usb stick, or if required straight into your computers designated folder. It can be battery or mains powered. Lots of examples on Amazon, Argos etc.

https://www.kodakphotoplus.com/pages/kodak-slide-n-scan-digital-film-scanner

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The Kodak slide scanner is a great bit of kit but still takes ages, I inherited my late fathers slide projector and all his slides, I don’t know how many slides there are but there must be 8 of the carousel type loaded and I think they must hold maybe 40 or more and then there’s 25/30 of the oblong type cartridge which must hold around 30 and all the holders are full and there’s a pretty big box of loose slides, my dad was a fanatical photographer and did all his own developing so there’s quite a few, a bigger job is scanning all the negatives, if any one has negatives and want to put on the pc you can get a scanner that scans the negative then converts it to a positive image and puts on the PC, it’s a never ending job and once that lots done there’s all the home videos that can be converted lol.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kodak slide scanner is a great bit of kit but still takes ages, I inherited my late fathers slide projector and all his slides, I don’t know how many slides there are but there must be 8 of the carousel type loaded and I think they must hold maybe 40 or more and then there’s 25/30 of the oblong type cartridge which must hold around 30 and all the holders are full and there’s a pretty big box of loose slides, my dad was a fanatical photographer and did all his own developing so there’s quite a few, a bigger job is scanning all the negatives, if any one has negatives and want to put on the pc you can get a scanner that scans the negative then converts it to a positive image and puts on the PC, it’s a never ending job and once that lots done there’s all the home videos that can be converted lol.

BP
Yup I’ve also got about 20 micro digital recorder tapes to sort. They have all been put onto a hard drive but I could only do it in real time by running them through the recorder and exporting bin real time to the computer. I plan to use the MAC video editing app to do some rough cuts. But when ................

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not available on Amazon and prices seem to vary between £99 and £159(Currys) however seems worth purchasing.
BTW how long does it take to scan a photo and to transfer the photo to the USB stick. Using my current scanner, it would take about 2-3 minutes for each photo including the scanning and then the manual input transfer to the folder.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
G o into my garage and ponder what I can have no longer use for. Make gangway to get to shelves etc. More pondering , thinks will I need it soon after disposing of it . Ponder just a bit more . Result, refill gangway close door, have a coffee.

Reactions: PTA and Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The biggest issue is scanning them to load them onto a database as they have to be done one by one. I did try, but gave up after awhile as very time consuming. No issue with digital photos.

Yes, its quite a lengthy process but I have all the tools and software to do it. Of course scanning is only the start as each image needs processing and in some cases restoration. Then choose them and assemble into a slideshow, search for some music to add and then make the video for viewing on the TV or sharing.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not available on Amazon and prices seem to vary between £99 and £159(Currys) however seems worth purchasing.
BTW how long does it take to scan a photo and to transfer the photo to the USB stick. Using my current scanner, it would take about 2-3 minutes for each photo including the scanning and then the manual input transfer to the folder.

The Kodak scans a slide in about 20 seconds from memory, depending on what resolution you select. I always have Max as memory isn’t a problem. As I explained you do not need to manually feed it into your computer. It can route each slide direct to your PC or if you wish into an SD card which can then transfer a load of slides directly into your chosen folder. It has a photo editing suite installed but I don’t use it as I prefer to do such things on a larger screen and with a keyboard and touchpad control.

Here is the User Manual

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorting out my wardrobe and clothes for 10 minutes. Throwing most away as they are so old. Down in the workshop, crosswords and reading Saturday’s DT. Most used to go in the bin but amazing what it contains!
All my woodwork tools are razor sharp. Entertaining SWMBO on current affairs😃.Looking at my filthy dirty car, ok leave it till tomorrow, again!
Face timing old friends. That’s been interesting. Can’t say I’m bored in truth. But have been secretly looking at Scottish sites for later in the year👍👍👍🥃🥃

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Work,same as usual. During the first lockdown we shut for 6wks,then we were back to normal hours.During those 6 weeks ,first few days I didn't know what to do with myself,so went for bike ride in morning (I used to race) then did any jobs in afternoon,it was a good insight as to what retirement could be like.You have to have some structure to the day,whether that's hobby or volunteer work.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My son sorting my mobility scooter out it needs a new headlight so it was pick up yesterday he also sorting the garage out and anything else I want him to do .

Gardening will be back in Spring! I have spent the winter preparing the van with some modifications to improve comfort. It is a 2019 Bailey Autograph 79-4, here is what have done.
1 fitted mirror protectors- previously destroyed by French lorry drivers
2 made bed base wider so same width as mattress - it no longer dips on the edges and I can sleep
3 put TV on wall (out of cupboard) so same height we sit at - no more stiff necks
4 did the same with a TV in the bedroom - longer morning lie ins
5 put a wine rack in the little (useless) cupboard above the microwave (no longer useless!)
6. put a bottle holder/rack under the travel seat - now tall bottles can stand up
7 Put shelving in one of the wardrobes - instead of storing under the bed.
8 removed cushions from seating (designed to make up bed and very uncomfortable) and replaced with pillows and home-made quilted covers - well the wife did anyway!

So been pretty busy BUT I can not wait to get out - been in lockdown since 13th Dec.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife done a bit of tidy up in the garden some leaves , weeds but now left it till end of March .
We have a Charity bag in so we are sorting through the clothes, books, CDs

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Home schooling the grandkids a couple of days a week ( Before anyone shouts, daughter is a single parent so they are legitimately in our support and childcare bubble). Eats up the day, that does.
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Home schooling the grandkids a couple of days a week ( Before anyone shouts, daughter is a single parent so they are legitimately in our support and childcare bubble). Eats up the day, that does.
mel
Hi Mel Hope you all keep safe and well during this time

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts