What do you look for in a Caravan.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Just about to buy our first van, but we haven't really a clue what we're looking for,.to me they all look the same (ish), just different layout and different colour seats.

But I can just picture us away for the first time, coming up with lots of "wouldn't it be nice if the van had this or could do this..."

So, what do people consider to be the must have features in a Caravan.

We're not likely to travel to Europe so we're not bothered about air con, but fly screens on all doors and windows seems a must for any holidays on the West Coast of Scotland.

.But what else should I look for, what are the little things that make life easier and more comfortable.

Cheers

Gavin

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

I think you are asking for a book load of ideas; however -

My wife and I only got into this superb hobby by chatting to someone who had a caravan. Despite driving artics at the time, I was still rather nervous.

Therefore, if you can, I would try and find someone near to where you live, perhaps through this site and they can physically point out the advantages and otherwise of different things.

Also go round the dealerships, if you ask on this site and others you will get an idea of the better ones. The shows like the NEC are fine but it is too cosy and sometimes too busy.

We were very lucky with our first van and layout, the dealership was dire and the chap who told us about how to put stuff together, totally wrong.

Treat it as if you were buying a car and had no idea where to start.

Alex

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
consider all options including style, price, fittings, looks. Take on board the comments of the seller and friends. Sit down, put all of that together and then if it is not German totally ignore everything. People who own English vans ( I use the word van in the literal sense )want you to think they are good. Do yourself a favour, ignore them. If it is not German and more particularly Hobby or Fendt then walk away. Some will offer a different opinion but they will be wrong. Sorry to be so blunt.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin

What we did before we bought our first van was to borrow my brother's van for a week to see if we'd like the whole idea of caravanning. Then when we were sure we liked it we bought PC mag for a few months and read it cover to cover then started to look at nearby dealers. Everyone has different ideas of what is essential and your preferences may even change with time.

See if you can find a friend or relative who caravans to come with you when you start looking at vans and that may help.

Good luck

April

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We've just bought our first caravan and the main consideration for us was the size of the bunks for our children. We found that British vans had very narrow bunks which were already too small for our 11 year old twins and we intend keeping this caravan for many years so growing room was essential. We were restricted somewhat by our need for a 5 berth - lots more choice of 2/4 berths.

Another major issue is weight - we're new to this game so we've stuck to the 85% ratio of Car kerbweight to caravan MTPLM (fully loaded caravan weight to us newbies!). We were lucky enough to be replacing our car at the same time so this was made a little easier.

Also we wanted to run the heating off electricity as well as gas - we're planning to use electric hook-ups most of the time so don't want to have to use gas when we've paid for electricity already.

We didn't feel that we needed a seperate shower cubicle as we'll use sites with decent facilities but I know that this is important to others.

A microwave was important to us as I'm a bit of a lazy cook when on holiday and you can't always rely on being able to barbeque. As we've got a microwave, we were happy to settle for a small oven and 3 ring hob rather than a full size cooker. Whilst on the subject of the kitchen, a decent sized fridge with freezer compartment was another 'must-have'.

And in agreement with above posters, we looked through endless magazines, spoke to lots of friends and family members with caravans/motorhomes, visited several dealers and ended up with a German built van. We've only been out in it for 1 week so far but love it already.

Good luck in your quest

Claire

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Take your time and dont be rushed. Visit as many dealers as possible and look at as many vans as possible . make notes of layouts , fittings, weight etc.

Then draw up a list of what you think you will need in your van . From there you can start narrowing it down. Your search may take a considerable amount of time to source the van for you , but its better to search and buy at lesuire than rush into the purchase and then find out the van is not for you.

There are vans of all makes and prices out there so I am sure that you will find the ideal van.

Also remember weight, some of the German vans whilst well built are heavy so you need a robust tow car to pull them. And contrary to what a lot of people say there have been been problems with continental vans just the same as British vans.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I doubt you will ever find your 'ideal' caravan which suits your every need. However, if you prioritise your requirements, you will hopefully be able to get close. Just ask yourself some important questions:-

Will you be cooking regularly in the van? If so it may be important that you have a full sized cooker and plenty of working space.

Is it important that you wash and shower in the van? If not you may be able to make do with a small combination bathroom on the side and benefit from additional living space at both ends of the van.

Do you have young or older children? If younger, it may be that they will be going to bed earlier than yourselves. If this is the case it may be better that you have bedroom facilities at the opposite end of the caravan with a door you can pull across when they have fell to sleep. You can then have a chat, drink and watch t.v. (etc) without disturbing them. They may be a bit too close on a side dinette.

If you have older children, living areas at both ends can be beneficial as you will all benefit from a bit of space rather than sitting on top of one another.

Storage is an important factor for us as I tend to take all but the kitchen sink with me on holiday! The deeper the overhead lockers the better as you can fit the children's clothes in without having to fold them four times.

Best of luck with your choice.

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
maybe you have family in Germany who can buy one for you..... or friends.....anyone as long as it is GERMAN !!!!!!!

Is it me or are my subtle points going somehow un noticed by others on this topic ?

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
No, Philip, we've all noticed your Teutonic tendencies!

We too bought German-built after much praise-singing from the in-laws about their Hymer motorhome. We just felt that everything seemed a bit more solid and likely to last longer. Some of the British vans we viewed were falling apart in the dealer's showrooms. I know people can be a bit heavy handed when looking around but so can my kids!

Del has a point about weights though so check carefully Gavin. Mind you, the Bailey Pageant that was our 2nd choice is actually 100KG heavier than the Geist we ended up with.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
No, Philip, we've all noticed your Teutonic tendencies!

We too bought German-built after much praise-singing from the in-laws about their Hymer motorhome. We just felt that everything seemed a bit more solid and likely to last longer. Some of the British vans we viewed were falling apart in the dealer's showrooms. I know people can be a bit heavy handed when looking around but so can my kids!

Del has a point about weights though so check carefully Gavin. Mind you, the Bailey Pageant that was our 2nd choice is actually 100KG heavier than the Geist we ended up with.
C & R,

The Geist isn't a German manufactured caravan though I think there may have been German input in the design. Having said that, I am not a fan of the German designed 'vans as I find them very sombre and quirky in layout but I do like their motor cars, having owned many Volkswagens over the years. I am now running a M-B ML320 CDI and it's wonderful!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Malcolm, you'll notice I wrote 'german built' and our Geist was manufactured in Germany by LMC who are part of the Hymer group. Geist import them into the UK with British made upholstery (made in Derbyshire somewhere) and other bits added that us Brits like such as ovens and doors on 'our' side. You can, of course, simply buy an LMC caravan but they're not anglicised in quite the same way.

When it comes down to it, with caravans, as with most things in life, it's a matter of personal choice. We actually found the upholstery on most of the caravans we looked at to be far too way out for our tastes. I know looks shouldn't be the main consideration but some colour schemes really put us off. We wouldn't choose our van seat covers in our home but we can live with them on holiday!

Rob has a M-B as well and loves it but I like my Vauxhall - personal taste again!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bit difficult to help, not knowing numbers of adults, kds, dogs etc. Also whether you are used to communal washing facilities (although many have privacy cubicles) or would prefer to use those in the van. If so you should find a van with separate shower, if not you will have more choice.

You could come up with a short list and then perhaps try to hire a near match - not too expensive if you do it off-peak season. this could save some after-purchase regrets.

You also need to consider your likely useage pattern. If you like to stay put for a reasonable time then you can consider an awning and hence perhaps a smaller van. If you want to do on or two night stops, then perhaps a roll-out awning which is not perhaps suitable for longer term occupation. If in doubt always go for more space than you think you'll need (and that includes storage).

I'm assuming you have already considered the weight of van relative to your towcar - since you are starting I suggest you stick to the 85% "rule" and, if possible , get down to say 70%

Most caravanners are pleased to help newcomers, and I would have no hesitation in approaching anyone near you who may have a 'van parked at their house - you will probably get some views on the local dealers as well as the caravan itself.

Finally, I would consider which sort of van would sell most easily if you really found it was not for you. I have no firm data on this, but suspect the dedicated two berth is not all that popular at present, so the more "family" oriented van with or without fixed bed is likely to be a better resale prospect.

Join one of the major Clubs - the Caravan Club has all sorts of helpful brochures and videos available for members, an advice department and a good insurance scheme (if not the cheapest). And don't give up the prospect of going into Europe too easily - it's great fun and much more relaxing than driving in UK.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts