What does caravanning mean to you?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One hell of a question that Tony! - I thought I new the answer before I found this Forum.

Now I am not so sure.

I am still sure that 80% of caravaners a good solid people who want value for money, the great outdoors and a bit of a laugh.

Sadly this 80 % seems to me to be the silent majority in the main - thus allowing the 20% complete t**ts to hijack a significant number of threads.

Can you blame some people for wanting to keep themselves to themselves behind their winbdbreaks and tow their caravans as quickly and safely as possible behind their 4x4, ignore others on site, and only go to adult only sites that think dogs are less trouble than "run amok children".

The Trolls that infect this Forum make the above look an entirely sensible option.

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thought about joining the forum since aquiring a caravan a few weeks ago. Not yet even got my towbar fitted. I saw the 'van at a local dealers, bought it and got a mate to tow it to my house for me. I must say that after loking at this site the last few days it seems that there is alot of amusing banter one can enjoy as well as some good advice to be had for a newcomer such as myself. The pc mag. is an informative one and Ive gleened a wealth of info. about having a safe car/caravan combination which has been useful. I am a bit unsure about asking questions on the forum though due to the fact that sometimes certain people are made to appear to be got at by others remarks (like calling people trolls for example). I hope this isnt directed at newcomers like myself who have little/no experience of all the things that need to be learnt for becoming a seasoned caravanner. I will continue watching what goes on on the site over the next few days before I feel confident that I can ask questions so that I would not be thought of as a troll. Sorry this has ended up being so long winded.

Derek

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thought about joining the forum since aquiring a caravan a few weeks ago. Not yet even got my towbar fitted. I saw the 'van at a local dealers, bought it and got a mate to tow it to my house for me. I must say that after loking at this site the last few days it seems that there is alot of amusing banter one can enjoy as well as some good advice to be had for a newcomer such as myself. The pc mag. is an informative one and Ive gleened a wealth of info. about having a safe car/caravan combination which has been useful. I am a bit unsure about asking questions on the forum though due to the fact that sometimes certain people are made to appear to be got at by others remarks (like calling people trolls for example). I hope this isnt directed at newcomers like myself who have little/no experience of all the things that need to be learnt for becoming a seasoned caravanner. I will continue watching what goes on on the site over the next few days before I feel confident that I can ask questions so that I would not be thought of as a troll. Sorry this has ended up being so long winded.

Derek
Welcome to the "dark side", err, I mean, "fold" Derek! Feel free to ask anything you want, you might have to sift through the answers to get to the info, but you'll probably have a laugh doing it anyway.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No Derek, the vast majority in here are sensible people although as in any walk of life they have different opinions. But just a couple (who Clive is referring to as Trolls) have nothing constructive or even witty to say. They are just out to cause trouble. They do try to be funny but if wit was **** they would be constipated.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Before someone jumps down my throat this is what caravanning means to me (not a judgement of others)

Getting the children away from the tele and computer games (game boys included)(we don't take any of these items away with us )My children then have to go out on the site and play with other children

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Crikey Chris - you come up with some truly excellent words. If you ever did a Christmas Cracker selection - put me down for a dozen.

Derek - please enjoy and use this forum - the vast majority are helpful and easy going.

A minority want to spoil it - they can usualy be spotted by the fact that they hide behind silly names.

Chris and I have a bit of fun by running them ragged - (they are not the sharpest knives in the draw) - but I would hate to see a geniune contributor put off by what anyone posts on this Forum.

Believe me - if you have a query/problem - post it on Technical or whatever you think is appropriate - you will get help and answers. We are in the main a helpful bunch.

The descriptive term Troll is a derogatory remark aimed solely at those who use bad language or delight in causing friction to other Forum users.

It certainly DOES NOT apply to new caravaners or newcomers to the Forum. Unless you only want to talk Barracks, accuse others of peculiar sexual preferences, bully anyone who does not agree with you, recomend that dogs be shot, and want to ban all 4x4's.

Apart from that you will fit in well!

Oh and by the way - I have noticed that the Trolls that most regularly cause a problem are only able to use their "Lunch Hours" to post but more significantly are most likely to post their most obnoxious utterings after the pubs close on a Friday night.

Clearly they have enjoyed one to many lagers.

One was so bad the Moderator pulled it the very next day!

Lets see what the morning brings - Hopefully nothing offensive if they can control themselves.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Before someone jumps down my throat this is what caravanning means to me (not a judgement of others)

Getting the children away from the tele and computer games (game boys included)(we don't take any of these items away with us )My children then have to go out on the site and play with other children
My children are grown up but still enjoy a family BBG on a local CL with our dogs and Mum and Dad. I loose count of the girlfriends that come too and sometimes have to be reminded of their names - not because I am going Ga Ga but because my sons seem to have a waiting list.

Caravanning for me is the ability to relax 5, 10, 50 or 150 miles away from home from the stressful job of running a business where the regulators have no idea of what we do and the tax man wants more and more each year. The responcibility of looking after a disabled elderly relative 24/7 is something we will not contact out.

This means shorter breaks in easy contact distance. Caravaning is frankly a Godsend.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Here we have a perfect example of a topic being ruined by an ongoing feud spilling over from another topic.Clive give it a rest please,we all know your p'd off ,so you don't have to remind us in every post that you do!.....Tony,a very good question.Caravaning to me is my way of getting away from the pressures of everyday life,as I work long hours(every saturday,and alternate sundays) I see my family very little.I know when we are away that is our time,and we make the most of every second.We have visited some fantastic places, met lots of nice people and in nearly 20 years of caravanning I can't remember ever taking down the awning in the dry!!!!!happy days..Brian.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Brian - just feeding the Trolls before their migration from their watering holes to their nests.

Pissed off - Naw!! - I'm having a laugh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What it means to me is the fact that I can see this country before I die. I cant see the sense in queueing in crowded airports with lager louts. I have no desire to go to Benidorm and get up early so I can grab a deckchair around the pool.I have no desire to join queues in hotels for my meals or have to have my meals when they say so. I cant see the sense in getting plastered at night so I can crash out on the beach to cook like a lobster. What do they see except the inside of hotels or bars. They dont even see the countryside between home and their destination. I just like the solitude if I can get it. I prefer birdsong or the sound of a stream to the radio for example. I love to go for a walk with my dogs and my wife (not necessarily in that order) or sit and read. When attending to a terminally ill patient when I worked for the Ambulance Service I commented what a nice day it was. He replied "Everyday is a nice day" and Ive never forgot that.Indeed everyday is a nice day. It's just a pity that some ******* will come and spoil it for you, heheheh. Just kiddin' folks ;O) I dont want the Assholes United jumpin' on my back for typing that :OP

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Caravanning means everyting to us.

We usually go out every other weekend, a necessity as we run our own buisness, and to get away from the stresses and strains of everyday life is everything. It refuels your batteries, and you feel as if you have been on holiday, even though it's only a couple of days.

We generally use CL's or CS's when not on holiday. Which means, for us, water tap, loo emptying point and a dust bin. If you're lucky, electricity.

We never take the TV, we amuse ouselves reading, listening to music, relaxing with a few bottles of wine, and whatever else takes your fancy!!.... And, switch the mobile phone off I hasten to add.

By Sunday evening we're so knackered from the relaxation, you then have to do it all again....

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
A bit late but agree with Brians comments above it rearlly is getting tedious. By the time I had read the original post, logged on and typed a reply the thread had been hijacked. Cant we give it a rest now and at least let some people reply before the bitching gets a hold.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It means a holiday to me, pure and simple. What it used to come down to was choice, too much of it! Where do you want to go, when to go, how to get there, what do you want the place to be like when you get there, full board or half or self catering. Near a beach or inland, hot or cold weather, English speaking or not, the list is endless and by the time we got round to deciding and realising how much it was going to cost us, we couldn't be bothered with organising it all. Although the main 2 weeks holiday takes a little planning, the weekend/bank hols don't. Book the site and turn up, you know pretty much what's there and what's going to happen and "relax mode" comes much quicker. I know we all moan about the little things, but in general they are "little things", we don't get to site to find the place were staying hasn't been finished or that your flight has been cancelled/delayed when you travel. Yikes I'm getting itchy feet just thinking about going away for a break!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Derek

well said Derek thats just how I think and feel at times.Am I worthy !!

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
A bit late but agree with Brians comments above it rearlly is getting tedious. By the time I had read the original post, logged on and typed a reply the thread had been hijacked. Cant we give it a rest now and at least let some people reply before the bitching gets a hold.
couldn't agree more. This forum needs to be policed more strictly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well this is odd, I am sure I posted twice on this thread about what caravanning meant to me ( didn't I Clive?). They appear to have disappeared !

Surley PC wouldn't remove them because I used the phrase 'making love' ????

Not with all the expletives used on this forum !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well this is odd, I am sure I posted twice on this thread about what caravanning meant to me ( didn't I Clive?). They appear to have disappeared !

Surley PC wouldn't remove them because I used the phrase 'making love' ????

Not with all the expletives used on this forum !
Ok you have my undivided attention!

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Crikey Chris - you come up with some truly excellent words. If you ever did a Christmas Cracker selection - put me down for a dozen.

Derek - please enjoy and use this forum - the vast majority are helpful and easy going.

A minority want to spoil it - they can usualy be spotted by the fact that they hide behind silly names.

Chris and I have a bit of fun by running them ragged - (they are not the sharpest knives in the draw) - but I would hate to see a geniune contributor put off by what anyone posts on this Forum.

Believe me - if you have a query/problem - post it on Technical or whatever you think is appropriate - you will get help and answers. We are in the main a helpful bunch.

The descriptive term Troll is a derogatory remark aimed solely at those who use bad language or delight in causing friction to other Forum users.

It certainly DOES NOT apply to new caravaners or newcomers to the Forum. Unless you only want to talk Barracks, accuse others of peculiar sexual preferences, bully anyone who does not agree with you, recomend that dogs be shot, and want to ban all 4x4's.

Apart from that you will fit in well!

Oh and by the way - I have noticed that the Trolls that most regularly cause a problem are only able to use their "Lunch Hours" to post but more significantly are most likely to post their most obnoxious utterings after the pubs close on a Friday night.

Clearly they have enjoyed one to many lagers.

One was so bad the Moderator pulled it the very next day!

Lets see what the morning brings - Hopefully nothing offensive if they can control themselves.
the one that was pulled ............... was that the joke you posted Clive?

I like your description of a troll, so that must be you and Lord fart then!

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Here we have a perfect example of a topic being ruined by an ongoing feud spilling over from another topic.Clive give it a rest please,we all know your p'd off ,so you don't have to remind us in every post that you do!.....Tony,a very good question.Caravaning to me is my way of getting away from the pressures of everyday life,as I work long hours(every saturday,and alternate sundays) I see my family very little.I know when we are away that is our time,and we make the most of every second.We have visited some fantastic places, met lots of nice people and in nearly 20 years of caravanning I can't remember ever taking down the awning in the dry!!!!!happy days..Brian.
Brian you talk a lot of sense, now if only Clive would agree with you!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Kanga,firstly what makes you think you can post on the GENERAL forum when you are only a CAPTAIN? Secondly I'm sure Clive and myself agree on a lot of subjects.My post was to say how annoying it has become to click on a topic only to find the same arguement being carried on from elsewhere.I find some of the posts from the "antis,Trolls,what ever you want to call them/yourself, quite funny but think when it sinks to personal abuse and discrimination its time to stop....Brian.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
One hell of a question that Tony! - I thought I new the answer before I found this Forum.

Now I am not so sure.

I am still sure that 80% of caravaners a good solid people who want value for money, the great outdoors and a bit of a laugh.

Sadly this 80 % seems to me to be the silent majority in the main - thus allowing the 20% complete t**ts to hijack a significant number of threads.

Can you blame some people for wanting to keep themselves to themselves behind their winbdbreaks and tow their caravans as quickly and safely as possible behind their 4x4, ignore others on site, and only go to adult only sites that think dogs are less trouble than "run amok children".

The Trolls that infect this Forum make the above look an entirely sensible option.
dogs are less touble than "run amock" chidren

just as well behaved children (a very rane thing these days)are less trouble than "out of control" dogs

do I need to point out the obvious ?

Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts