What does MTPLM L.L mean?

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Hello

first post as a new caravaner but long time motorhome user.

so getting used to all the new regulations and terms. i understand what MTLPM is and does but when I looked at the plate on my new caravan I see MTPLM L . L.

anyone have any idea what the L .L bit is and is for?

photo attached.

Many thanks

Nocomp

1593857565889.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Adria is not a UK brand, and when they build a caravan they have to label it according to their local regulations. I do not know what the significance of the L.L is but he figure is the MTPLM for that caravan.

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. The caravan was upgraded (new plated from 1100 kg to 1300 kg ) but the MTPLMhas not been changed when I expected it to be increased as well, is my understanding correct?

thanks

Nocomp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without seeing exactly what was requested and what was provided it's impossible to say for certain.

I note the axle limit is rated for 1300kg, but the way caravans are constructed its the caravan manufacturer that sets the MTPLM, not the chassis manufacturer.

I should point out that the caravan manufacturer may know that the body work cannot safely carry more than the payload regardless of how strong the chassis may be.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If that's the visible plate that the police and DVSA go by, it's not been uprated and is still 1097 kg MTPLM - BUT - there's no VIN number or Type Approval visible so may not be a legal plate.

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies. I bought the van from a dealer who offered me the plate upgrade so I could upgrade the load I could put into my van. I’m talking to the dealer to see if they / Adria can shed ant light on the plate as it was Adria uk who did the upgrade.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies. I bought the van from a dealer who offered me the plate upgrade so I could upgrade the load I could put into my van. I’m talking to the dealer to see if they / Adria can shed ant light on the plate as it was Adria uk who did the upgrade.
When I have had load upgrades on Bailey and Swift as well as new door side tally I also had a letter/certifcate of compliance detailing the new maximum MTPLM.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t know why but non U.K. caravans plates follow slightly different rules.
I agree with the Prof on the axle loading figure 1300 kgs. The rest for me is clear on MTPLM and MIRO. so replating does not change the axle rating. Who or how was the rating raised from 1100kgs to 1300kgs?
Look underneath , the axle will be clearly marked with its max.

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
The replating was done by Adria at the dealers request. Let’s see what Adria come back and say. Thanks again for all comments

Nocomp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the basis the caravan was sold new in the EU, there should be a formal data plate on the front bulkhead of the caravan. It should carry the caravans VIN number and it is this plate that carries the legal maximum weight limits.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The legal MTPLM is quoted right at the top, 1300kg. The 1097kg figure lower down is a marketing value in line with NCC convention that has no legal significance. There are no provisions in any legislation, neither UK nor EU for an MTPLM L.L. so one can just as well ignore it.

I take it the VIN and type approval numbers on the plate have been obliterated for security reasons. If that is the case, it is the formal plate that the Prof is referring to. Actually, there is no need to obliterate the type approval number as it is generic for that model and not specific to the caravan in question.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts