What equipment do I need?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Woodentop said:
EH52ARH said:
HTB1Mj2lJVXXXXbGXpXXq6xXFXXXj_zpsh1ow3mo7.jpg

I used to level Helicopters ready for rigging with one of these, but use a long spirit level in the van on the work top next to the sink, to make sure the shower in the back drains, , there is getting the van level on the floor or getting it to drain and also not rollingnout of bed. :p
Hutch.

As I did say earlier, work surfaces are not always parallel with the floor in either plane, so if you want to get your tin-shed-on-wheels level always use the floor.

Sorry Woodentop, I don't agree, If I use the floor then the shower doesn't always drain, so I use the work surface in this van for the last 4 years which allows the shower to drain, and we don't feel as though we are rolling out of bed. But each to their own ways.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Woodentop said:
EH52ARH said:
HTB1Mj2lJVXXXXbGXpXXq6xXFXXXj_zpsh1ow3mo7.jpg

I used to level Helicopters ready for rigging with one of these, but use a long spirit level in the van on the work top next to the sink, to make sure the shower in the back drains, , there is getting the van level on the floor or getting it to drain and also not rollingnout of bed. :p
Hutch.

As I did say earlier, work surfaces are not always parallel with the floor in either plane, so if you want to get your tin-shed-on-wheels level always use the floor.

Sorry Woodentop, I don't agree, If I use the floor then the shower doesn't always drain, so I use the work surface in this van for the last 4 years which allows the shower to drain, and we don't feel as though we are rolling out of bed. But each to their own ways.

If the shower only drains when you use the work surface than clearly the work surface 'level' is actually not and your shower uses that.

I have had three caravans (Swift and two Baileys) and in every case when the floor is level (mainly front to back) the work surface is not - and in my current van the work surface and the TV 'table' are about a quarter bubble out in opposite directions!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am only talking about a couple of degrees, if I use the worktop as "My Level" then the shower tray drains nicley if I use the floor we get a puddle on the opposite side to the shower drain, I prefer a dry shower tray.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Regarding spirit levels,once I think I have the caravan level I go in to the caravan and do the final test which is the fridge door,

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I find filling a wine glass to meniscus sorts the levelness of the caravan. Then you have to drink the meniscus off :p Best way to start your holiday :p :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I seem to have acquired numerous spares over the years having ben caught out in the middle of nowhere on previous occasions.
A selection of screw drivers, spanners , pliers , molewrench, nuts bolts screws wing nuts that fit awning, odd spare bands poles and things for awning, patch repair.
Spare bits for Thetford toilet in particular the flawed part of the lever blade closure mechanism, spare three way valve for water system selection of 230 and 12 v fuses, gaffer gorilla and insulating tapes. Even carry a spare tap for sink and basin.
Also if using a submersible pump carry a spare!!
There's loads of other things like spare specs and miniature glasses screws and multi meter

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I seem to have acquired numerous spares over the years having ben caught out in the middle of nowhere on previous occasions.
A selection of screw drivers, spanners , pliers , molewrench, nuts bolts screws wing nuts that fit awning, odd spare bands poles and things for awning, patch repair.
Spare bits for Thetford toilet in particular the flawed part of the lever blade closure mechanism, spare three way valve for water system selection of 230 and 12 v fuses, gaffer gorilla and insulating tapes. Even carry a spare tap for sink and basin.
Also if using a submersible pump carry a spare!!
There's loads of other things like spare specs and miniature glasses screws and multi meter

You also carry spare gas cylinders for other people to use! :blush: :blush: :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For long stay in Europe trolley jack, double sided tape, blue tack, bungies, spare UK 3 pin plugs ( in case you need to buy electrical appliance which will come with two pin plug ) drill and bits, multimeter, mastic in tape form, cable ties in several lengths, spare fuses, polarity tester, adaptors for continal site EHU, spare pump, water pipe fittings.

All this will seriously deplete the payload allowance for bringing wine home by 15 years experience says take it all and then some. Have not yet returned home without using nealy everything mentioned for self or to help others.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you are unashamedly cr*p at DIY and maintainence as we are; ditch all this. Instead,,take extra wine to pay back caravanners who do carry all this stuff and know what they are doing. Also take a credit card and the number of the nearest mobile workshop.

Not knowing your spanner from your torque wrench, does not make you less of a person. B)
mel

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Mel said:
Not knowing your spanner from your torque wrench, does not make you less of a person. B)
mel
Luckily hubby is good with spanners as he repairs Farm machinery as his business (well buys & sells but always needs a bit of repairing) I, on the other hand haven’t got a clue so will be following your advice when me and my mum go :lol:

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Something easy to slip on when you need to go outside, wife and I have neither we have a slip on walking shoes, wouldnt be seen dead in crocs.

Take it you have a very early 200tdi

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
Mogwyth said:
Something easy to slip on when you need to go outside, wife and I have neither we have a slip on walking shoes, wouldnt be seen dead in crocs.

Take it you have a very early 200tdi

Yes Discovery 1 1999 GWAC, It is in theatre having surgery replacing cills. But using a Discovery 2 td5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts