What equipment do I need?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kaznamy the list is endless or at least it could be!!!

To start just keep to the basics and watch the weight you will be putting in the van.

Container for clean water ie; Aquaroll or similar
Container for grey water ie; Water Hog or similar.
Electric Hook Up cable.
Will assume your van will have battery fitted.
Gas bottle(s)
Utensils for cooking, eating, and that welcome cup of tea.
Oh and the obligatory tin opener.

Every time you go away you will add something else, and eventually after twelve months you will go through the van and say well... I didnt need that.....I didnt use that........ and so it goes on and on.
have fun and most of all............... laugh about the mistakes you WILL make :lol:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would certainly start with the basics, its easy to get to the situation where you would need an extra trailer to carry all the junk thats on sale in Caravan/Camping shops.

Do your first trip, see what you feel your are short of, see what other people have and work out whats best for you.

As a general rule, you will require most of the stuff you require at home. Cups, plates cutlery, pans, kettle. Flipflops all round for the shower. A washbag each comes in handy. Lightweight TV if you feel you need one. Spirit level. Step. Chocks. Maybe a couple of levelling blocks and possibly a ramp for levelling under a wheel. Toilet chemicals. Add to that all the stuff for an awning, pegs, mallet and so it goes on.

Now refer back to my point about dont buy everything you see. By the time you have the basics and all your clothes, the amount of stuff you carry really starts to mount up. Always useful to have a foot or electric pump. Small kit of tools. Camping chairs for outdoors or in the awning. Awning table, as very few seem to use the caravans table in the awning. BBQ or cadac. BBQ Tools. Food, beer, wine. When you have all that, room for fancy extras is at a premium.

And of course you then need to learn how to load it.
I usually have the greatest difficulty finding space for my inflatable hot tub, gazebo, white picket fence and outdoor hanging lights. B)

Oh yes. Cary a small box of assorted spares. Jubilee clips, cable ties, awning fixons and various stuff like that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure where you intend to buy from . Be aware quite a few Dealers around the country include a beginners starter pack as part of the deal. Otherwise the others have pretty well covered most things. Enjoy!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that I can add would be to look at what you want to buy and find out if it's available in general retail outlets.
Any items with the word 'Caravan' associated with them will attract a premium price.
Argos, Halfords and even Wilkinsons often sell items that you may need and they are often cheaper than caravan accessory shops.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
When we started (along while ago) We loaded what we thought were the basics, to have a picnic type day out. We then went for a day out with the van. In our case about 50 miles (Clumber Park) found a quiet spot and pitched for the day. Cooked a meal etc. etc. just as we would had we been holidaying. What it did was give us a bit of towing experience ( I had been round our local roads a bit with the van to get the feel of towing it - on my own) So at the end of our 'day out' we had a good idea of what else we needed to live in the van, + the fact the kids loved it and we coped Ok. And anything we needed in the van was soon established, but managed without it as we were going home at the end of the day. That was our first trip out in it, learned alot.
Ps never mind 'crocs' if you've got kids you need wellies!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can try Amazon for some items but check prices from dealers before buying as they are not always bargains. E bay might also be worth a look.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Crocs are part of the uniform for the sartorially challenged. Add purple crocs, beige elastifit trousers, check shirt, green body warmer and a Tilley Hat and you will begin to look the part, if that is you ever want to be "Caravanner of the Year"

Seriously, a guy walked into the pub the other night with his wife. He was dressed exactly that way apart from the crocks and just as a joke I SAID WHAT SITE ARE YOU ON.

Blackwall Plantation, just round the corner he says. "How did you know?"

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Three important points:

Someone said a spirit level. Correct, a 300- 500mm is a good size and if you have a shelf above the door it will live there nicely. However when checking level - both front-back and side-to-side - measure it on the bare floor NOT on a worksurface as they are not always parallel. Note that the fridge will not work at maximum efficiency (even work at all) if the caravan is not level in all planes.

Weigh the hitch and make sure it does not exceed the maximum towing load of your vehicle or your towbar, whichever is the less. A piece of 2x2 about 14-15 inches long and a set of bathroom scales will do the job. The caravan should be as near level as possible when you measure it. Note that an old fashioned spring scale is best as a modern electronic uses load cells on each foot so it much be on a firm level surface; you could of course use a piece of half inch ply about 0.5m square under it as a base.

Finally and most important, look at the label outside near the door for the maximum vehicle weight or MTPLM, then take the caravan to a weighbridge and weigh it. It is easy to overload and to do so is technically a traffic offence.

One point not clearly made - use Propane rather than Butane as it will work to lower temperatures. Most people carry a 6Kg bottle the connection to which is a left-handed thread screw in. If your caravan doesn't have a regulator fitted as standard you will need that as well - your dealer can advise but buy elsewhere to avoid 'caravan' price loading as mentioned earlier.

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I use my crocs alot for nipping into the garden cos they're quick to put on. The kids use them for messing in summer or when we go to the beach so they can wear them in the water without hurting their feet on sharp stones/shells. Comfier than flip-flops too.
I think i'll pass on the beige elastifit trousers, check shirt and Tilley hat, I might stretch to the body warmer at a push! :cheer:

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Crocs ....... Noooooooooooo!!!! :eek:hmy: Well, not in my 'van anyway!!

Our stuff ......
Aquaroll
Mains water connector and hose for the Aquaroll
Wastehog
Waste water pipe for use on serviced pitches
Toilet chemicals - pink and blue
Hook up cable - we have the thicker orange one that's available
Levelling ramps
I'll say wooden blocks for the steadies although we have 'stacker blocks' that fit to the feet added to the steadies
Gas cylinder
Awning pegs - hard and soft ground types
Mallet
Small spirit level .... although the 'van has the 'pitch perfect' device fitted

I take a rechargeable drill for the screw in ground pegs and steadies and keep water, electrical and awning stuff in plastic boxes for ease and storage

We also have chairs, a table and lighting for the for the awning

We've added some bits and taken some bits out as we've gained experience and to manage the weight (especially around the nose ;) )

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Kaznamy said:
Anseo said:
EDIT: Seems I always get this KUNENA thing when I copy and paste an ebay link :(
It was for a caravan spirit level(s).

]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-T-Circle-Spirit-Level-Tool-For-Trailer-Caravan-Motorhome-Camper-Table-/301782258180?hash=item46439fd204:g:fcYAAOSwwbdWMf-6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-T-C...hash=item46439fd204:g:fcYAAOSwwbdWMf-6[/quote
the link comes up when I quote it so i'll have a look, thank you :)

I was going to add that if you ever get really bored you can play "Centre The Bubble" with the circular one :p
Glad the link worked for you.

Moderator, thank you for fixing the link for me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
HTB1Mj2lJVXXXXbGXpXXq6xXFXXXj_zpsh1ow3mo7.jpg

I used to level Helicopters ready for rigging with one of these, but use a long spirit level in the van on the work top next to the sink, to make sure the shower in the back drains, , there is getting the van level on the floor or getting it to drain and also not rollingnout of bed. :p
Hutch.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Kaznamy said:
Anseo said:
EDIT: Seems I always get this KUNENA thing when I copy and paste an ebay link :(
It was for a caravan spirit level(s).

]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-T-Circle-Spirit-Level-Tool-For-Trailer-Caravan-Motorhome-Camper-Table-/301782258180?hash=item46439fd204:g:fcYAAOSwwbdWMf-6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-T-C...hash=item46439fd204:g:fcYAAOSwwbdWMf-6[/quote
the link comes up when I quote it so i'll have a look, thank you :)

I was going to add that if you ever get really bored you can play "Centre The Bubble" with the circular one :p
Glad the link worked for you.

Moderator, thank you for fixing the link for me.
You're welcome :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Back to the original topic, a fire bucket. A lot of people keep a firebucket full of water just in case of emergency, but a fire bucket can be doubly useful. Mine is usually full of bottles of beer, best way to keep it cool if the fridge is full, and of course not so far to go for a refill :)

Proper caravanning, can't beat it.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
HTB1Mj2lJVXXXXbGXpXXq6xXFXXXj_zpsh1ow3mo7.jpg

I used to level Helicopters ready for rigging with one of these, but use a long spirit level in the van on the work top next to the sink, to make sure the shower in the back drains, , there is getting the van level on the floor or getting it to drain and also not rollingnout of bed. :p
Hutch.

As I did say earlier, work surfaces are not always parallel with the floor in either plane, so if you want to get your tin-shed-on-wheels level always use the floor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts