What first time low profile coach built?

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Afternoon All,

A brief intro. My partner and me have always toured the UK/Europe by motorcycle. Sadly I got it very wrong this year in Germany and we both nearly died. Not only that, but the German Police also took a dim view of my shambles! Thankfully, we have in the main now recovered. Understandably, although I am back on two wheels - my partner now sees our touring future in motorhomes. We hired a (new) island bed RollerTeam (quality not great) for couple of weeks and both enjoyed the experience. So we are thinking of a used,low profile coach built for next year. At a push our max budget would be 35K. Our criteria in order of importance:

Build quality - inside & out
Winterised for winter use
Garage big enough for cycles
Transverse, French or island bed
Separate toilet & shower if poss
7m or there abouts max length
Big driver's cab sunroof and big skylights

Having been to several shows and the nec, Carthago really impressed us, as did Frankia and Dethleffs. The quality here and attention to detail really came to the fore, but their starting prices are twice our budget!

I am told (rightly or wrongly?) that the best quality is from Germany. So if it was your money, what motorhomes would you all be looking at?

Thanks very much

Kind Regards

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a Class C1 licence that enables you to drive something over 3,500kgs [3.5 tons]? If not, you are going to struggle to find a motorhome. You can rule out Frankias as they tend to be heavy, whilst Carthago have only recently introduced a lightweight model. You are going in the right direction if you look at second hand Dethleffs and Hymers. Pilote and Rapido are French companies that are worth considering. If it was my money, I'd by a second hand Hymer A-Class with double floor [older ones are lighter]. It's an established German brand in the UK and across Europe; Dethleffs is part of the Hymer Group. The products are designed well and the quality of build is better than most.
I like your list of important needs.

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks,

My licence entitlement is up to 7490kg.

I forgot to mention Burstner and an Al Ko chassis!

Will have a look at some older Hymers.

Thanks again

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
We are very pleased with our 2003 Burstner t625 Harmony, which we have had for 3 and a half years or so.

The locker under the bed isn't large enough for cycles but it has a rack on the back. No cab sunroof but skylight over the lounge/dinette and plenty of windows make it light and airy.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts