What happens when you reach 70 years?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was told yesterday that a cravaner changed his Sorento for a Sportage as when you reach 70 years of age you are limited to a Gross Train Weight of 3500kg. Not there yet but it could affect future purchses, or perhaps downgrade the Bordeaux's 1400kg back to its original 1360kg!!

Cheers

Other Clive

G

Yes, it is a bit disconcerting especially if you have had all the higher licences for umpteen years. My new photocard licence has just arrived and I note I do not even get the full 10 years anymore, so at 70 I have to get a medical and presumably will then be restricted to 3500 kg. Fortunately, my current outfit is well under that, but I did have ideas for a motorhome that could be upgraded to 3850 kg. Better be quick methinks. Mind you the 'boss' won't let me buy it anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been told that if your pre 1997 licence covers you for 3.5-7.5 then all you need to do at 70 is fill in an extra form and obtain a medical report to go with it.

Cheers

Other Clive

G

That is comforting but it is the medical part that does worry me a bit. By then I suspect that like travel insurance, any slight medical problem will be viewed with suspicion.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Prior to my 70th birthday, I was told not to drive due to them drilling a hole in my head. Eventually they relented, and gave me my licence back.

Due to being over 70, I lost my MEDIUM vehicle licence, groups C and D, and trailers to go with them. I supose I could have paid for a medical and kept them.

But I kept my B+E, which means that I can DRIVE up to 3500kg MGW, and TOW just about anything I'm ever likely to want to .... thats 3500kg on overrun brakes.

I also kept all the "make-weight" groups, including moped, and I now understand that I do not NEED to pass a CBT before I can ride a moped, but they suggest that I do.

I suggest that you do not release your licence to DVLA without taking a photocopy. And if you have a bike licence, consider sending them

May 25, 2008
Visit site

I am in the same position. I had a problem that needed gamma knife treatment. I was told by my neuro surgeon " I need to inform you, that you have to report your treatment to the DVLA " even though he said you are at the same risk as anyone else and an Angiogram confirmed treatment successful!!

So I did inform the DVLA and my licence came back B B+E when looking at SLs thread on weights I thought oh drat I am breaking the law, but it would appear not my GTW is over 3500kg.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 3500kg limit for B licence holders, pre/post-1997, under/over 70 applies to the towing vehicle's maximum weight - not the outfit weight. For post-1997 B only then the maximum outfit weight cannot exceed 3500kg either.

It's quite legal for a pre-1997 B only licence of any age (and indeed a post-1997 B+E licence holder of any age) to drive a 3500kg vehicle, eg Transit van, plus a braked trailer up to the vehicle's towing limit.

The effect of reaching age 70 is that C and D entitlements to drive vehicles (not outfits) of 3501kg or more become subject to a chargeable medical examination. Up to that age they're subject to a non-chargeable medical declaration.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gumbo,

If you have B+E, your limits are....

DRIVE vehicle up to 3500kg MGW

TOW trailer up to car MANUFACTURERS limit (some quote trailer weight, some quote train weight), and/or not more than trailer of 3500kg MGW if using over-run brakes. For instance, most proper Land Rover have tow limit of 4000kgs if using air brakes, but (legally) only 3500kg if using overrun brakes.

But wouldn't it help if DVLA worded things better?

OT ... way back when, once you had excluded all the things you mustn't do, you were left with the situation that you were allowed to ride a motor cycle and sidecar with "number one" son on pillion, and missis and twins in the side car, But nowhere did it say you could do that. But they changed all that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have read with great interest the comments with regarding licence when you reach that magic number 70!!

On my licence I have B1 along with B +E what does B1 cover

many thanks Royston

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Royston,

Quote from the info on Driving Licences leaflet that came with my new licence - B1 "Three or Four wheeled light vehicles - Motor Tricycles, Quadricycles and three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight of no more than 550kg"

I think it covers the Quads you see the farmers out and about on,

Lara.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

It also covers a couple of lightweight French cars - Axiam and Microcar. I believe it also covers the Lotus 6 and 7 (and probably others) but not the Caterham 7.

There is no mention in the UK rules about maximum power (15kW?) but that restriction applies in France. I think the Citroen 2CV weigs in at 550kg, as there was some discussion on the 2CV site about whether it was possiblr to get it low enough to qualify for lower tax rates. Or maybe I'm wrong, and they weigh 565kg, and the target was 550kg. Who cares?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quad bykes, that is very interesting as my local dealer has started to sell these machines, wonder what the cc sites would think I used oned of these to visite the toilet blocks.

Royston

May 21, 2008
Visit site
First off, you get a job at B&Q.

Then if Gordon and the morons or Web cam Cameron are still twittering and back stabbing to gloss over the corrupt MP's and their dodgy accounting. You might get a trickle charge from all that tax you paid into the system all your life.

So don't worry about the car, as you won't be able to afford to run it anyway.

Oh of coarse you could go to your doctor and fork out

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Having received my post-70 B+E licence (drive 3500kg MGW and tow 3500kg MGW) I noticed there was no B1 entitlement. So does that mean that I cannot drive a tricycle?

Quick letter to DVLA, who replied that B1 is automatically included in group B.

Hmmmm! Yes that is obvious for a quad, less obvious for a trike (which could be considered a motorcycle). It makes me wonder what is going on out of sight. I guess I have to accept that answer, but I ain't happy.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
B1 is just a subset of B - if you ONLY have B1, that's all you can drive - if you have B (or B+E) you can drive any of the B subsets.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

how about this....a driver who works for the same company as me is 70

he has a c+e licence (the old hgv 1) and every year he has to undergo a medical

so this is my opinion only.....if you have the licence when you are 70,and as long as you show that you are fit and able there should be no restrictions on what you can drive

like i said that is my opinion only

hgv dave

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi HGV Dave,

Thats what they do.

If you wish to continue driving Group C, and D, or bigger, you can ..... provided YOU pay for, and pass, the relevent medical. For most people, its not worth the cost, unless they have a heavy camper.

Now, if you have a medical condition that interests DVLA, it is possible that THEY will pay for your medical.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a point on the photo card licence

If you already have a photo card licence you do not need to submit a new photo

BUT as I found this week the pic is only valid for 10 years so my new over 70 licence arrived valid for 3 years but the photo card one is only valid for one year as my pic will then be 10 years old and will need renewing next year

Fortunately no charge is made for over 70 licence

As suggested above taking a photo copy is good idea as you have to return the old licence(s) cut in half before you receive the new ones

They are very quick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts