What is a good caravan alarm?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the Phantom tracker fitted as no one takes any notice of an alarm sounding and if it happens on site you are going to have some annoyed neighbours.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Some years ago, OH was towing the van back from being serviced. “What’s that noise”, he thought, gazing around for an ambulance or fire engine siren. Some several miles further on, he arrives at home to discover the caravan alarm had been going off all the way. Zero intervention from anyone.
By all means get an alarm fitted. It maybe a deterrent or get you a few quid off your insurance, but don’t count on it in the event of an actual theft.
Sorry this is not answering your actual OP.
mel

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for you input.
The alarm I was considering fitting was a silent alarm that would phone my mobile when the van was moved.
I must admit in 60 years of camping, tenting, caravaning, motorhoming and now my last few years back to caravaning I have never heard an alarm go off!!!
My van is always kept at home where I have locked gates, boundary alarms, cameras and my biggest interest in life is firearms , so I'm well covered for most eventualities.
When away, as long as the sim has service it would phone/send a message to, upto six preset numbers.
Obviously if a thief wanted to steal it no matter want deterrents you had they would take it away.
It's a cheap van so not very sought after by a thief.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for you input.
The alarm I was considering fitting was a silent alarm that would phone my mobile when the van was moved.
I must admit in 60 years of camping, tenting, caravaning, motorhoming and now my last few years back to caravaning I have never heard an alarm go off!!!
My van is always kept at home where I have locked gates, boundary alarms, cameras and my biggest interest in life is firearms , so I'm well covered for most eventualities.
When away, as long as the sim has service it would phone/send a message to, upto six preset numbers.
Obviously if a thief wanted to steal it no matter want deterrents you had they would take it away.
It's a cheap van so not very sought after by a thief.
If you were notified that your caravan was being moved, what can you do? The police rightfully will probably take no action as they do not know if the call is a hoax or not.

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
If you were notified that your caravan was being moved, what can you do? The police rightfully will probably take no action as they do not know if the call is a hoax or not.

If I wasn't far away I would go back to the van and hopefully stop the thieves.
I don't understand what you mean about the police and hoax call

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just asking, have you heard a caravan alarm going off,. On a site and what did you do ???
I think the answer is you look at it and in most cases there will be nothing untoward looking. I certainly would not ignore it and if there are people around someone will normally check it out. Having said that thieves breaking into a caravan on an occupied site is very unusual and most break in occur elsewhere.
usually when the caravan is somewhere where the thieves will not be disturbed or they can make a quick getaway.
In our storage alarms can be ineffective as there can be no one else there and the wardens will be some way away.

Reactions: Hutch and Grumpy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we got our caravan it already had a manufacture alarm put in when new and a red light use to come on if anyone went through the door at the caravan storage would text me straight away so i hope you get one you are after .

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
When we got our caravan it already had a manufacture alarm put in when new and a red light use to come on if anyone went through the door at the caravan storage would text me straight away so i hope you get one you are after .
Thanks, did yours have as audible alarm?
The type I'm researching has a movement sensor and a PIR so if the van is moved or someone gets in the internal sim card would automatically contact me by mobile phone.
My van had a Tracker fitted from new but not an alarm. The battery is 4 years old so it will need a new tracker next year. Also it's over £100 a year subscription and a sim is half of that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts