What is a 'safe' outfit?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
I have to confess that I'm not really experienced as far as stability aids are concerned, my caravan doesn't have ATC and my car (a 2009 Kia Sorento 2.5) has traction control and anti-lock brakes but no stability controls as far as I know.
Seat of the pants for me I'm afraid.

Steve
That's very strange. My 2009 has a switchable ESP. The switch is placed between the low high ratio control and the headlight height control. :) It also comes with traction control and abs and TOD 4 wheel drive. I've never switched it off whilst towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
Good question,caravan weighing less than towing vehicle,loaded well(most of stuff on floor near axle) driven in a safe manner.Job done.

Sorry but that is gross over simplification, and no guarantee of a good or even a safe tow.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Brasso530 said:
Good question,caravan weighing less than towing vehicle,loaded well(most of stuff on floor near axle) driven in a safe manner.Job done.

Sorry but that is gross over simplification, and no guarantee of a good or even a safe tow.

Come on prof,I do not wish to get in a slanging match.In my view that is the GENERAL basics,as has been quoted to death on here over the years,there are to many factors to quote "a safe outfit".

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Brasso530 said:

There are no guarantees involved in any aspect of motoring or towing Prof.
Brasso has outlined the salient points in a concise manner, although good maintenance and especially tyre maintenance is also vital, but as most of us will recognise there are myriad random factors that can affect safety, not least the actions of other road users.
Statistically, those of us who own and tow touring caravans are among the safest road users.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Totally agree about tyres and tyre pressures also in my case checking wheel torque each trip out, what makes a safe outfit for me is loaded within the legal weighas of the outfit, but a safe outfit also comes down to a safe driver but you cannot predict what other road users will do when they see a caravan in there sights, I been on plenty of defensive driving courses in the past and our instructors stressed to us never to get involved in any kind of road rage, always leave plenty of room between the vehicle in front don't, the throw a wobbly if someone comes in the gap between you and the vehicle in front , one thing that I take notice of especially on DC or MW's, is the surge you get before even being over taken by a transit van never mind a article.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts