What is the lightest twin used twin axle caravan ?

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi again to you all. Life has been rather cruel of late and as a result I have had absolutely no interest in caravanning of late albeit I have retained my interest in another site that has displayed topics of which I have been slightly tuned into because of the alert system.

As the title asks albeit I could be interested in an older van that can be used as a rear end fixed bed in a similar way to the Colchester Fleetwood 1850 that I had some 10 years back.

Is the Elddis Xplore from some 10 years back and also a twin axle 4 berth still a decent buy ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello mate, Not sure I can help, but Noticed that my last Coachman a 545/4 had a greater payload than our newer Coachman 560 /4 by maybe 60 kg. So even the twin axle looked good the single axle was a better load carrier. .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi T R. Welcome back. :cheer:
Do you want exactly the same layout as before?
Things have moved on a bit
How about a rear end bathroom then fixed bed then kitchen area then lounge at the front?
Plenty out there with that configuration.
Are you limited with MTPLM these days?
Good to hear from you :cheer:

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi EH52ARH. I have had Coachman Genius 460/2 SE in the past and even their two berth were on the heavy side but they were built a tidy bit better than some of the competition could manage.

I am actually only interested in a lightweight twin axle - Elddis produced the Explore in the first phase of production as a 4/5 berth twin axle that was near identical to my Fleetwood Colchester 1850 albeit the payload was reduced somewhat.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Hi EH52ARH. I have had Coachman Genius 460/2 SE in the past and even their two berth were on the heavy side but they were built a tidy bit better than some of the competition could manage.

I am actually only interested in a lightweight twin axle - Elddis produced the Explore in the first phase of production as a 4/5 berth twin axle that was near identical to my Fleetwood Colchester 1850 albeit the payload was reduced somewhat.

Ps known as Hutch. . Welcome back.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dustydog. Thank you for your welcome back.The restriction was only ever there with my much loved and heralded 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Automatic albeit I did pull an Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco (1750 MTPLM but within the 1600kgs max tow weight. The kerbweight of which was 1440 kgs and not as listed 1426 kgs so it gave me a decent payload.
All 6 of my later Volvo V70's were 1800 kgs so never an issue and with the benefit of a better payload.

I am currently running a low mileage 2003 registered BMW 320i Touring Automatic (the 6 cylinder variant) albeit I have not as yet had it on the VOSA spec weighbridge/beam at AXTEC (Runcorn) but I am expecting it to be circa 1750 kgs based upon my 2002 registered BMW 325Ci Convertible Automatic weighing in at 1752 kgs.
I will be going over on Monday or Wednesday late morning/early afternoon to get it weighed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back. Not sure what you are looking at four or six berths. Lunar are generally lighter than the rest but without knowing what layout you want we are a bit stuck going further.
A ten year old caravan should not be a problem with any make as long as you do the usual checks for damp and cracks on the front and back panels especially anything by Eldiss.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well that was a turn-up for the books. My visit to AXTEC was little bit of a surprise because the weight of the BMW 320i Touring Automatic was not what I was expecting at all.
It turned out to be 1625 kgs which in actual fact near enough the weight of my old 1997 Volvo T5 CD Automatic which weighed-in at 1630 kgs.
I was working on the basis that the convertible recorded a weight of 1715 kgs and reckoned that the touring would be at least the same or very similar weight being that it has a larger total area of glass and the additional weight of the tailgate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Well that was a turn-up for the books. My visit to AXTEC was little bit of a surprise because the weight of the BMW 320i Touring Automatic was not what I was expecting at all.
It turned out to be 1625 kgs which in actual fact near enough the weight of my old 1997 Volvo T5 CD Automatic which weighed-in at 1630 kgs.
I was working on the basis that the convertible recorded a weight of 1715 kgs and reckoned that the touring would be at least the same or very similar weight being that it has a larger total area of glass and the additional weight of the tailgate.

The collapsible roof and it’s actuating/support frame wil not be light. And BMW probably incorporated more body stiffening to counter scuttle shake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts