What is the worst thing to pack when travelling?

May 24, 2014
Visit site

For me, its the Cadac. Its the item we probably use most, but its the most awkward shape to get in when things are packed tight. It takes up half the boot space and we cant get a neat pack at all with the darn thing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having to pack and unpack at all. My ideal would be to just go and eat out all the time and get clothes as I go along leaving the used ones in charity shops.

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

For me, its the Cadac. Its the item we probably use most, but its the most awkward shape to get in when things are packed tight. It takes up half the boot space and we cant get a neat pack at all with the darn thing.
I put our cadac, in a bag on a piece of hardboard to spread the load, everything goes inside the lid except the legs. And it gets strapped onto one of the rear seats. If we take a cool box that goes on the other rear seat, and plugs into one of the sockets. The awning gets strapped between then. Awning pegs and Hammers all under passengers seat. Tool box under drivers seat. Kojack in the other rear footwell. Sandwich box in front foot well. Grip mats for muddy pitches under rear reats .
All goes in nicley. And when I forget the Cadac legs, it sits nicley on a small table that I have.
Only one dog now so he has plenty of room in the back of the SantaFe.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Which Cadac do you have Hutch. We have the largest one and i think it would be easier to pack one of the dishes from Jodrell Bank.

Awning and poles go across rear seat. Chairs table and sundry items in boot where i have to find room for said Cadac. Tv, barrels and wastemaster in caravan. Heavy small items in rear footwell. Somehow, we have to find room for a small child and large childseat.

Im thinking towards a large roofbox to help.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Which Cadac do you have Hutch. We have the largest one and i think it would be easier to pack one of the dishes from Jodrell Bank.

Awning and poles go across rear seat. Chairs table and sundry items in boot where i have to find room for said Cadac. Tv, barrels and wastemaster in caravan. Heavy small items in rear footwell. Somehow, we have to find room for a small child and large childseat.

Im thinking towards a large roofbox to help.
Thingy large roofbox good idea

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....2 bikes if we take them.

Have to fit bespoke bike rack to back of towcar.
Load bikes on to it less front wheels.
Lock bikes to bike rack with anti theft devices.
Load helmets...wifes wire basket....front wheels in bags ........ back pack specifically for cycling....all in rear boot space

You may well ask .....:D

• Wow
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately,now we no longer have the dog,the back seats go down,awning,groundsheet,bags of clothes(mainly hers🤭),enough food for a day or two goes up tight to the drivers/passenger seats(just about between front and rear axles).
Toiletries,pots,pans,small cadac,water/waste carriers,quilts,pillows etc in the van.
Pegs,hammer,various pipes etc in front,side locker.Gas,one 3.9+one 6kg in locker over axle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately,now we no longer have the dog,the back seats go down,awning,groundsheet,bags of clothes(mainly hers🤭),enough food for a day or two goes up tight to the drivers/passenger seats(just about between front and rear axles).
Toiletries,pots,pans,small cadac,water/waste carriers,quilts,pillows etc in the van.
Pegs,hammer,various pipes etc in front,side locker.Gas,one 3.9+one 6kg in locker over axle.
Hi Ade Sounds like a lot :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not a good idea if you have physical limitations. We have one which we now need to sell as getting difficult to access.
At present my left shoulder is out of action plus my back is not great but i am hoping physio at the hospital will help me with the exercises i have been given to do :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Gafferbill..............you win :ROFLMAO:

BB, its easy enough to climb onto the running board, then the wheel, then the doorhandle and grab hold of the roofbars. Getting back is easy, its called gravity ;)

Ebikes though. I thought the whole idea was to peddle to keep fit, for everyone else, they invented the car.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At present my left shoulder is out of action plus my back is not great but i am hoping physio at the hospital will help me with the exercises i have been given to do :)
Unfortunately physio does not help me much. Wish it did but good luck with yours. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
DD Wish i could but the caravan going in for a repair needed, then the breathable cover will go on :)
Took van in for a repair it had a new pump on the toilet flush so the tank is empty now got put fresh water in and sterilising tablets and then fill it up :)
Well i hope it does because at present taking caravanning day by day we have three more breaks and the caravan in for a repair end of October :)
Another repair?
Do you break something every time you use the caravan? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Thingy and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In our early days it would be the darned Prestige Hidome pressure cooker. Heavens sake who cooks oxtail stew in France? (Ragout de queue de boeuf -) apart from the French. Then there would be the numerous tins of Cassoulet some of which made numerous return trips from and back to France then back to home again. Took up valuable beer, wine and sausage payload.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In our early days it would be the darned Prestige Hidome pressure cooker. Heavens sake who cooks oxtail stew in France? (Ragout de queue de boeuf -) apart from the French. Then there would be the numerous tins of Cassoulet some of which made numerous return trips from and back to France then back to home again. Took up valuable beer, wine and sausage payload.
We carry a 3 litre, electric pressure cooker, 18 hour timer, fantastic bit of kit 1.5 kg lives in the bottom of the wardrobe for travelling,
Thinghy we have the original Big Cadac, starting to burn through now , some welding required.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Another repair?
Do you break something every time you use the caravan? 😂
Not quite this was mention when it had a service (Awning rails need to be resealed) and they have not been off since new and we were given a date end of October and then the breathable cover will go on :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts