What is your favourite Book or Author

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
I do not have just one in either cat. but I am very partial to good SiFi.
I am at the moment reading "Ringworld's Children". It is one of the Ringworld series written by Larry Niven
and is full of mind blowing concepts.
Rgds

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm a prolific reader but I prefer non fiction.
I read mainly books about World War 2 and autobiographies, without wishing to discuss politics which we keep off this forum, I'm currently reading the biography of Nigel Farage, it's not a bad read which is called Flying Free and which which he signed for me when I met him recently.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Wilbury said:
You'r probably right. (What on earth is PCV)
Rgds

practical-caravan-logo.jpg
:lol: :p :p ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
SciFi: Asimov, Heinlen, Greg Bear, I've read Cordwainer Smith's stuff which is a bit weird.
Fantasy especially Terry Pratchett (although the later stuff is not as good as the early stuff.)

Also really loved "The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window..." and "The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry"

Also classics, Moby Dick, Coral Island, What Katy Did, Lord of the Rings. Don Quixote

Oh yes and poetry, Under milkwood, The Lady of shalott, The rime of the ancient mariner.

Also the Bible

mel

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Not a reader at all i'm afraid, far too busy :woohoo: even the thought of spending a few hours trying to imagine what the author meant while they were typing sends shudders down the spine,
although I did read a book once, "the silent world" by Jacques Yves Cousteau. if that counts during my SCUBA diving days. but that was 30years ago.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm always shocked at how few people read books these days. As a kid I always had my head buried in a book and my 6-year old daughter is the same. The Kindle app on my iPad and phone is a god-send.
Personally I like anything factual about planes (50s-60s stuff mainly), also military history - particularly stuff about the dawn of the nuclear age, but also the Falklands. I have pretty much every book ever written about the Apollo programme too.
Fiction-wise, I like anything by Tom Clancy or Patrick Robinson. Bill Bryson is a genius in my eyes, and I'm currently working my way through Isaac Asimov's Foundation series (or have been since a mate at uni introduced me to it 20 years ago!)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Themisto-Adrastea said:
I'm always shocked at how few people read books these days. As a kid I always had my head buried in a book.
it may be because they have no time to sit for hrs with their head in a book, there is only 24hrs in a day. when you spend 12 of those at work. 8 of those asleep. the other 4 are just to precious. to waste sat reading.
it was very little different when I was a kid, 2 paper rounds morning and evening double round Sundays rest of the time was spent either at school, riding my bike, or playing foot ball for 2 teams (school.and local) not to mention practice and fitness training,

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm with you Colin, read plenty of technical stuff & magazines but as for reading a 'story' book, I only ever want to read the last page! Couldn't tell you last time I read one, sorry telling a lie there, it was Henry the fifth part four, or was it Henry the fourth part five. Know it was one of the set books for 'O' levels 1959! Even a further lie - forgot about Lady Chatterley, which I read at work! ( and yes I passed English literature!) And like you Colin as a lad - football, cricket, paper rounds, in the woods climbing, no tele, didn't have one, then I suppose "GIRLS", never had time for reading. - Films the same - couldn't sit through a 'story' film for all the tea in China. Bored - no chance, no time to be bored. Only couple of things I'm short of :- time & money!!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Ha yes GIRLS, I forgot those, that's where most of the bike riding came in,
perhaps after retirement we should write a book about it, then all those with plenty of time, could read it!!!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Colin said - "perhaps after retirement we should write a book about it, then all those with plenty of time, could read it!!! "

Been retired 18 years Colin and I still haven't finished blasted gardening.!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well actually today is my last day of proper work :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: semi retired from tomorrow, B) B) but don't tell SWMBO :sick: :sick: or I will be doing the garden :evil: :evil:.

OH I forgot!!!! she knows already :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
Themisto-Adrastea said:
I'm always shocked at how few people read books these days. As a kid I always had my head buried in a book.
it may be because they have no time to sit for hrs with their head in a book, there is only 24hrs in a day. when you spend 12 of those at work. 8 of those asleep. the other 4 are just to precious. to waste sat reading.,

ETTO but I have never considered reading a waste of time. Like many I work full time, have brought up 4 children (while working) kept the house clean (ish :whistle: ) walked the dog, done the garden etc etc and buried my head in a book where I have learned so much, escaped to other worlds, had my perceptions challenged and made me think. (this latter being the thing of greatest value). It is great that you have other things that are important to you, that you prioritise; I wouldn't call these a waste even though they are not on my list.
mel

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I love to read, and will read whatever takes my fancy! I have all the Harry Potters, all the Wheel of Time, most of No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, loads of Spike Milligan, inc. the war memoirs, Alan Titchmarsh; however I cannot stand sloppy slush romance novels - fit for burning only!!

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Mel said:
Ah, Mel, a girl after my own heart! I love reading poetry too, Henry Longfellow is one of my favourite poets.
I also like reading novels, by Daphne Du Maurier, Rosamunde Pilcher, Erica James and Maeve Binchy. I used to like reading Robert Goddard's mystery books, but his plots got so convoluted, I kept losing track of who was who, and what was going on! I like some of the classics, too, like Lorna Doone, War of the Worlds and, um, Winnie the Pooh.....

Like Parksy, I do like reading a good political biography. I see Alan Johnson has just published the first part of his memoirs, must get it from the library.....

I also like reading natural history tomes.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, after reading your preferred book lists, can I repectfully ask that you dont donate them to the site libraries :cheer:

So often, I will take a good book away, look to swap it and all I can find is some romantic chaff.

I have just finished Tim Collins "Rules of Engagement". One of the very few regimental memoirs that are actually a good and humorous read. Tim Collins was the guy that delivered the famous speech before the invasion of Iraq. Also worth a read, "The Company" by Robert Littel. Although a novel, its based on the antics (yeah, chose that word carefully) and real life operations of The CIA.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
How can no have mentioned Lee Childs, the best turn your brain off and forget all your problems writer.
Plus Bill Bryson if you dont mind embarrasing yourself laughing out loud in public.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts