Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
without doubt a trolley jack____yes they can be a bit heavy but much easier and a lot safer to use imho
There is doubt! I have a perfectly good and serviceable trolley jack, and was used many times over the years, previous to the advent of motor movers in front of the wheels and underslung spare wheel carriers behind the wheels. I find it nearly impossible to get a trolley jack to the recommended jacking positions. I find the Kojak hydraulic scissor jack, and proper jacking plates the ideal solution. Takes seconds to lift a side.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Susan I use a KOJAK jack remove the car jack and replace it with Kojak then you can use it on the car/caravan .a bit heavy but very good jack you can also use it to level the van if required i use mine on my Swift Charisma 555

cheers Duggie

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
susan, just to add my two pennies worth and contradict people, the only way to jack up a caravan is with a bottle jack!!! I have had Land Rovers for years and guess what you get a bottle jack with the car!! I had to use it for the first time on my last trip out. I have a twin axle van with a four motor mover fitted, not much space for anything, out comes my small bottle jack fits right in under the chasis rail no problems and up she goes in a flash, flat tyre changed and on we go..easy!!. I have just changed my car a couple of weeks ago and no longer have a Land Rover, but after my experience bought a silverline 4 ton bottle jack in its own carry case for less then

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hope I'm not highjacking your post but I bought a one & half ton scissor jack and its pretty useless.

It wouldn't even lift it or I couldn't turn the handle.

I have a Bailey Ranger which weighs M.T.P.L.M. 1179kg 23.2cwt

M.R.O. 967kg 19.0cwt

So I am looking at the:-

Toolstation Bottle Jack 2000Kg Catalogue p153 Code 48824

* Holding capacity 2 ton.

* Lifting capacity 1.5 ton.

* Lifting range 158 - 218mm.

Price inc VAT

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I have read that Alko recommend jacking on the axle tube which would give me quite a lot of extra height.

Probably would be a bit tight though. I suppose the other option is to fit jacking plates on the chassis.

I'm really concerned that I will not be in the same position as the scissor jack.

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
Always took a trolley jack with me when going to store the van. I forgot to take it this time and used the supplied Bailey jack worked a treat...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only way to jack up a caravan is with a bottle jack is if all you've got is a bottle jack but there are easier and safer ways such as the Kojack

Always keep the van hitched to the car when jacking Alko say and that is very valid if you are by a busy main road with a flat

I also have removed the Nissan X trail jack as the Kojack fits the car jacking point and is easier to use than the scissor jack

I've tried them all over the year,screw jack,bottle jack, trolley jack and Alko jack and the Kojack is by far the easiest and most stable if not the cheapest

When the van wheel came off and RAC where called to the scene the Kojack was used to get enough height for his heavy duty trolley jack(brake drum on levelling wedge)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only way to jack up a caravan is with a bottle jack is if all you've got is a bottle jack but there are easier and safer ways such as the Kojack

Always keep the van hitched to the car when jacking Alko say and that is very valid if you are by a busy main road with a flat

I also have removed the Nissan X trail jack as the Kojack fits the car jacking point and is easier to use than the scissor jack

I've tried them all over the year,screw jack,bottle jack, trolley jack and Alko jack and the Kojack is by far the easiest and most stable if not the cheapest

When the van wheel came off and RAC where called to the scene the Kojack was used to get enough height for his heavy duty trolley jack(brake drum on levelling wedge)
Also scissor jack etc!!!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It seems appropriate here to add a comment that might help others facing jacking up on road by using their own version of this technique.

Jacking is often facilitated by using the car to haul the "flat" wheel up a ramp to increase access height.

I used a plank [my levelling aid]resting on the spare wheel and pulled to near the top. This gave me room to use my old Alko scissor jack nearer its higher mechanical advantage height and required very little actual jacking. As soon as the weight was off the ramp I removed the spare and on completion lowered the wheel onto the plank to retain extra height for the jack. Then just towed off the plank.

Scissor jacks are near useless in the swat position, but okay when extended, as this technique allows.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have tried them all,electric caravan scissor jack,small 1.5 tonn bottle jack,& trolley jack.THESE HAVE BEEN TRIED WITH A FLAT TYRE.

scissor jack does not lift from the closed position,even with the supplied jacking points. bottle jack will not fit under axle tube or axle plate & the trolley jack is to heavy to carry around when touring.the only proper answer is a Kojack replacing your car jack to save weight,or an Alko side lift jack.

some one mentioned a bottle jack under the chassis rail,this is not recommended by ALKO as it can deform the rail,(seen what damage can be caused by a breakdown serviceman using a jack under the chassis thanks very much)

Go for the new Kojack as the best option

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Tony

If only it were that simple. My problem is that I have movers to the front of the wheel and tyre carrier to the rear both occupying the holes required by the kojack side plates. I am really trying to find a lighter weight solution to the trolley jack.

I went to Toolstation this morning and bought their jack that I referred to in an earlier reply and it is identical (exactly identical except for colour an badging!) as the Kojack Light but without the side plates of course.

Kojack lite

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Reg I have a Baily fitted with powrtouch to front of wheel & an ALKO spare wheel carrier.This still leaves the fixing holes for the ALKO jacking bracket's accessable I have fitted home made brackets made from 1/4 inch thick steel long enough to project 1/4"below the chassis rail, But do need to swing the carrier to the right slighly to get it out how ever with a flat tyre it is to low to fit a bottle jack in place

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony If you look at the Kojack Lite

http://www.purpleline.co.uk/Kojacklite/Main.html
The brackets are higher than the bottom of the chassis which "might" just give enough clearance to jack up with the bottle jack with a flat tyre. As I said the Toolstation jack is identical to the Kojack one. I could produce a bracket with a higher platform i.e. between the fixing bolts. I have access to some welding equipment etc.

I made a bad decision when I bought the spare wheel carrier and fitted one from the local dealer which really is a bit of a dog!

It completely prevents access to the holes. I might have a look around to change it.

May 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tony If you look at the Kojack Lite

http://www.purpleline.co.uk/Kojacklite/Main.html
The brackets are higher than the bottom of the chassis which "might" just give enough clearance to jack up with the bottle jack with a flat tyre. As I said the Toolstation jack is identical to the Kojack one. I could produce a bracket with a higher platform i.e. between the fixing bolts. I have access to some welding equipment etc.

I made a bad decision when I bought the spare wheel carrier and fitted one from the local dealer which really is a bit of a dog!

It completely prevents access to the holes. I might have a look around to change it.
My goodness this topic has certainly stirred up ideas/tips etc

I will have a read of all the comments again and decide [ or maybe not!} susan x

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Reg yes you are correct regarding the Kojack brackets. However I do not Know if they can be bought seperatly & a low enough price to make buying a toolstation jack & Kojack brackets a viable proposition for the original poster. This is why IMPO I recommended the Kojack Jack,or the ALKO side lift jack. unfortunatly most do not have the skills or facilities to fabricate suitable brackets (including me)

Regards

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts