What on earth is happening in this country?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is all this waffle of providing things for youngsters as they are bored? I was a child of the 1950s and I was never bored at home - we made our own amusements and never ever got into trouble. We always told our parents where we were going and who was with us. The doctor, teacher, policeman and vicar were the pillars of society and were respected by the young and old. Children nowadays expect everything on a plate and if it is not to their satisfaction they will play holy hell. I had a smack at home and the cane in school and it did not do me any harm - if anything it taught me right from wrong.

These so called do gooders are in my opinion a bunch of head bangers who cannot find a decent days work and therefore call themselves social workers.

My wife applied to become a child minder and before she could be considered she had to attend courses on learning to cook for children and how to bring up and treat children. The individuals who were running these courses were single people in their early twenties straight out of college who had no family. My wife has raised two children who are both now respectable adults. Social do gooders be damned!!!!! Practical knowledge is worth far more than can be learned from any text book. How did our grand parents manage? who taught them how to raise a family and instil right and wrong into the children?
Our house was also subjected to a risk assessment for health and safety reasons - the same house where our children were raised.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sounds to me more like training by intimidation than bringing up children to form their own minds. The end result will probably be a carbon copy of their parents.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa she refused to go on the courses as she felt it was both insulting and degrading - a young whipper snapper trying to teach a mature woman and mother of two grown up children the rights and wrongs of child care. In fact our daughter, who has her own children, was older than the two instructors. Therefore my wife also has the experience of helping with the grand children. The saying "trying to teach your granny to suck eggs" comes to mind. She only thought of this as the grand children come here from school every day and often their friends are here also until their parents are home from work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds to me more like training by intimidation than bringing up children to form their own minds. The end result will probably be a carbon copy of their parents.
Sorry Lutz but I do not understand your response. Could you please elaborate on what point you are trying to put over.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone come up with an answer ????????????? I am sure the Police and the Goverment will back you 100% if you do have a logical way to sort out this mess.

I am Not in the least PC,but locking them up does not work that's a proven fact, just look at the figures for re offenders.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - I totally agree wih your comments of how we as children of bygone years acted, particularly the comments on how we were never bored with our lot.

Today, as in those days, the majority of youngsters are a pleasure to talk to, and their accomplishments in any field (Art/Sport/Education/Sociability) you can mention make me proud to be associated with them. It is very unfortunate that the tiny minority of youngsters who are, to put it bluntly BAD that despite the efforts of many people at all levels of society nothing seems to be able to correct the situation.

It sometimes worries me that the country has taken or made changes in all our ways of life far to quickly and them changes are in my opinion not given enough time to work or not.

I can sympathise with most parents of out of control youngsters, because nobody worried more than me when my child was in his teens and informative years, and that was at the time when drug taking was in its infancy

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Lisa she refused to go on the courses as she felt it was both insulting and degrading - a young whipper snapper trying to teach a mature woman and mother of two grown up children the rights and wrongs of child care.

No one is ever to old to learn !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Things move on quickly in relation to child care. I suggest it wasn't worthwhile pursuing the course.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The way you are describing how children ought to be brought up is to train them to subordination rather than respect. There's mighty big difference. They'd find it difficult to question what's right and what's wrong but blindly follow the example of their parents.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A frontal lobotomy would be my answer, withe the emphasis of producing some idiots of being only capable of cleaning up dog S**t
Don't stop at the frontal, VIP. Get round the back too and take some off the top. Give them the tag of "cannon fodder" and send them into Afghanistan. Better still, paint some orange circles on them and let the Americans do the job for us.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Colin - I totally agree wih your comments of how we as children of bygone years acted, particularly the comments on how we were never bored with our lot.

Today, as in those days, the majority of youngsters are a pleasure to talk to, and their accomplishments in any field (Art/Sport/Education/Sociability) you can mention make me proud to be associated with them. It is very unfortunate that the tiny minority of youngsters who are, to put it bluntly BAD that despite the efforts of many people at all levels of society nothing seems to be able to correct the situation.

It sometimes worries me that the country has taken or made changes in all our ways of life far to quickly and them changes are in my opinion not given enough time to work or not.

I can sympathise with most parents of out of control youngsters, because nobody worried more than me when my child was in his teens and informative years, and that was at the time when drug taking was in its infancy
Worrying about it when they've reached their teens is a bit late. The really formative years are the first years at school. Depending what sort of family environment or crowd they get into then has a major bearing on what they will be like in their teens.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't leave my child (aged between one to 16) with an unregistered child minder nor a child minder who has not had a risk assessment carried out on the property.

Lisa

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
200 years ago Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest applied to the UK population, the most intelligent and economically successful people had the biggest families and more of their children survived. The reverse is true these days, it is the lowlife scum that are doing most of the breeding, whether you believe in nature or nurture the result is the same, scum breeding and raising scum.

From another angle, the goverment and others tell us we have to reduce congestion and carbon emissions, what do they do? open the gates to thousands of economic migrants that add to the congestion and national carbon emissions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Worrying about it when they've reached their teens is a bit late. The really formative years are the first years at school. Depending what sort of family environment or crowd they get into then has a major bearing on what they will be like in their teens.
Hi Lutz - I agree to most of what you are saying, but you cannot dismiss the fact that many many children of families whose parents gave them the correct upbringing have fallen by the wayside. I know of a few families in my area that were the pillars of local society and yet some of their offspring became BAD as I call it.

I don't think we can be specific anymore and we can only generalise given the speed of change and the state of the world today.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa nowadays one has to be registered to be a childminder and to call oneself a childminder not only requires the individual to satisfy the social services requirements but also requires indemnity insurance. This cannot be obtained without first being registered. I would agree with you in so much that to leave a child with a person who you are not familiar with is concerning, however my wife thought of it purely for the friends of our grandchildren who often visit here. She was not looking at it as a viable business and would not probably have charged the parents of these children. What she was thinking of was should something unforseen happen where would she stand on a legal point of view.

Frank regarding your comments of snobbery I can assure you that my wife is far from being a snob. She is the daughter of a mineworker and has worked for Maypole stores, NCB canteen, school dinner lady and behind the bar in both a local Labour club and the village pub. She took her work to ensure that she was at home at all times when the children were of school age. If she was not available I was at home therefore she worked many, for us, unsociable hours and finishing well after midnight in many instances.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz - I agree to most of what you are saying, but you cannot dismiss the fact that many many children of families whose parents gave them the correct upbringing have fallen by the wayside. I know of a few families in my area that were the pillars of local society and yet some of their offspring became BAD as I call it.

I don't think we can be specific anymore and we can only generalise given the speed of change and the state of the world today.
Hi lutz - I now being a senior citizen, don' really get involved in matters affecting our youth of today, My worries over my son were foundless and he is now over 40, a succesfull businessman and a active figure in local affairs. Regards

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
"I am Not in the least PC,but locking them up does not work that's a proven fact, just look at the figures for re offenders."

Val & Frank

Sorry, V & F, but locking them up DOES work. They can`t re-offend when they`re behind bars.

What your argument does prove is that they shouldn`t be let out.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Perhaps we ought to adopt the Australian sentencing policy - you get ten years, you do ten years, no time off for good behaviour but time added if you don't toe the line.

With regard asylum seekers / illegal immigrants who have committed crimes in this country and those who preach hate and terrorism, once they have served their sentences they ought to be deported immediately, same day if possible. No if or buts, no appeals and no interference from the PC brigade and human rightist nutters and if they are liable to suffer harm in their own country after deportation - tough.

Rob S.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No, of course THEY can't re-offend until they're out of prison again. But the environment from which they came will still be there make way for others to follow. Once out of prison, without the prospect of improvement to their situation, they'll soon find their way back in again. So, unless one gets to grips with the core of the problem, it's going to be a never ending battle. Prison is, in a way, capitulation to the problem.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Perhaps we ought to adopt the Australian sentencing policy - you get ten years, you do ten years, no time off for good behaviour but time added if you don't toe the line.

With regard asylum seekers / illegal immigrants who have committed crimes in this country and those who preach hate and terrorism, once they have served their sentences they ought to be deported immediately, same day if possible. No if or buts, no appeals and no interference from the PC brigade and human rightist nutters and if they are liable to suffer harm in their own country after deportation - tough.

Rob S.
I have always been led to understand that asylum seakers and illegal immigrants are not the culprits because they try to keep a low profile as they know everyone's keeping an eye on them. If it really is immigrants, it's more likely to be second generation and they more often than not have UK citizenship.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Lisa nowadays one has to be registered to be a childminder and to call oneself a childminder not only requires the individual to satisfy the social services requirements but also requires indemnity insurance. This cannot be obtained without first being registered. I would agree with you in so much that to leave a child with a person who you are not familiar with is concerning, however my wife thought of it purely for the friends of our grandchildren who often visit here. She was not looking at it as a viable business and would not probably have charged the parents of these children. What she was thinking of was should something unforseen happen where would she stand on a legal point of view.

Frank regarding your comments of snobbery I can assure you that my wife is far from being a snob. She is the daughter of a mineworker and has worked for Maypole stores, NCB canteen, school dinner lady and behind the bar in both a local Labour club and the village pub. She took her work to ensure that she was at home at all times when the children were of school age. If she was not available I was at home therefore she worked many, for us, unsociable hours and finishing well after midnight in many instances.
Frank regarding your comments of snobbery. Which comment was that???????????? My comment was meant that it would not be worthwhile, to follow the course nothing else.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Frank I apologise - I misinterpreted your reply and read it the wrong way. On further reading I can now fully understand your comment. Please accept this an an apology. Many thanks.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
'build more prisons' '10 years should mean 10 years'

All very well but what is the point when most of these criminals are not bothered about going to jail?

Prisons need to be a punishment, not just a removal of freedom. The experience of being in jail should be one of fear, humiliation, degredation and deprivation - they need to come out of prison and be so terrified of having to go back that they are determined to behave.

Bring back the rats!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't stop at the frontal, VIP. Get round the back too and take some off the top. Give them the tag of "cannon fodder" and send them into Afghanistan. Better still, paint some orange circles on them and let the Americans do the job for us.
well said Lol - particularly as there have 4 in a week

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts