What should my unladen nose weight be?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Am I right in saying that the first smaller lever you engage is for the side friction pads with the oblong shaped red/green wear indicator,and the larger front handle is the front and rear pads?
If this is correct,then maybe the side pads need changing as the indicator shows red when engaged.
When I collected the van I was presented with all the paperwork which included a workshop checklist which states that the pads were ok......or were they checked I wonder :eek:hmy:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Am I right in saying that the first smaller lever you engage is for the side friction pads with the oblong shaped red/green wear indicator,and the larger front handle is the front and rear pads?
If this is correct,then maybe the side pads need changing as the indicator shows red when engaged.
When I collected the van I was presented with all the paperwork which included a workshop checklist which states that the pads were ok......or were they checked I wonder :eek:hmy:

The small lever is your tow hitch. This is the one that clicks down when the caravan hutch is connected to the towball. When this is correctly engaged you can tow the caravan safe in the knowledge that the car and caravan will stayed joined up.

The large lever is the Alko hutch stabiliser this has four pads front rear and two side ones. There should be a green, red scale on the top front that allows you to gauge when the pads are coming into contact with the towball. The instructions should be within your caravan documents and may also be included in the Owners Manual. If not visit the Alko website where they can be read and downloaded.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ade
May I suggest you read your handbook. There is a section which clearlyexplains the workings of the Al-ko hitch. Basically the first lever you refer to , when pulled up allows the ball hitch mechanism lock to release. The allows the hitch to drop onto the ball .Once fully on the ball the handle will drop into its locked position thus locking the hitch to the ball safely. At this stage the green indicator should be showing above on top of the hitch. The next larger lever when pushed down engages all the friction pads around the tow ball.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you dustydog.
As in my previous posts.....indicator is showing red where there seems to be the problem.
Will re-read manual when I get home.
Unfortunatly,it isnt a case of just hitching it up and returning to dealer to have a look as I feel its in an unroadworthy condition at present.
Thanks once again

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
GeorgeandAde,

Just because the friction pads are worn does not make the outfit inherently unsafe, not as safe as it could be but still useable.

Many caravans and trailers do not employ friction pads and depending on wear there could be a lot of play in the towballhitch coupling, a great number of such trailers are on the road today and without mishap.

If you want to travel and feel safer then you could exercise a little more caution and reducing speed will help.

If you google Alko friction pads 'shims' you will find that they can be shimmed out thereby avoiding complete replacement of pads, shims here for example: https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/al-ko-aks-friction-pad-shims-466-p.asp .

You can use other shims much more cost effectivily, but I won't go into that here.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Goerge and ade, make sure your tow ball is totall clean of all paint, ie so it is clear of all paint, otherwise this will give your Alko friction pads a bit of "mucke" on them making them squell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts