What speed travelling on roundabout?

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
What would you say is the best speed to travel is whilst going round a big roundabout (on a trunk road) - my husband goes around 20-25mph - would you say this is about right or too slow? Or is it what the driver is comfortable with.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would clarify the answers in a little more detail,

What ever speed is legal,

Allows you to enter the island safely

Allows you to control, change lane and or stop the vehicle safely

Does not hinder or inconvenience other road users,

And allows you to leave at the desired exit,

and then finally what is comfortable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On first reading Cathryn's post, I too thought it was a wind up. But then I thought about it. Have you ever thought that the bigger the roundabout, the more dangerous it is? On a small one, the traffic goes slower than on a big 'un, therefore it's easier to enter. On a big 'un, the traffic can travel quite fast, making it almost impossible to enter. Discuss.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I too thought this was a wind up at first, but then thinking of what I see on the roads on a daily basis perhaps not.

One should approach a roundabout with sufficient speed that you can join the roundabout without hinderance to other traffic in a simlar way that you would join a motorway. However you should always be prepared to stop and have sufficent room to do so should circumstances change.

For example this is how I would approach an average roundabout on a trunk road intersection (4 exits including the one I'm using).

Approaching the first sign at 300 metres from the junction at 50Mph with the caravan on the back and staying in 5th gear, assess the size of the roundabout and volume of traffic coming towards you to give an indicator of the traffic population on the roundabout.

Use your engine deceleration while staying in 5th gear and gently apply your foot brake to reduce your speed to about 25Mph as you approach the give way line.

At approxinamtely 20 metres from the line you can make a decission as at that point you should have clear view of enough of the roundabout to make your decission.

At this point do a "block change" down from 5th to 2nd gear and accelerate round the roundabout if it is clear, or decelerate and stop at the giveway line.

The basics of this can be adjusted to suit each roundabout as there are probably a thousand different variations throughout the uk. But basically what you are doing is entering the roundabout in the gear that you would normally exit in. This methodogy has been used in truck driving for many years as it reduces gearbox wear and maintains momentum of what is a heavey load.

A couple of other points to remember.

Do not use your right turn indicator for entering a roundabout unless your exit is further round than straight ahead or the 12 O clock position on the route plan board (road sign).

In the same circumstances as above, stay in the left lane of the roundabout and do ot cut across the inner lane unless it is totally unavoidable.

Always indicate left as you approach your exit off the roundabout, as this gives other road users both behind you and infront, a clear definition of your intent.

Finally if you miss your exit or see it too late, don't be fooled into a snap decission to turn. It's a roundabout for christ's sake, just go round 360 degrees and get the right exit. Of coarse do not forget to apply your right indicator then to signal a change of plan.

Finally and probably most important. Be observant not only looking forward but also using your mirrors. As an advanced motorist an additional thing I was taught was to take note of where other drivers are looking and also their approach speed and driection of front wheel angle, all of which can give you a clear indication of actions.

Just read the example of a true situation on the A49 at Leominster below.

I had gone with my brother-in-law Dvae in our Diahatsu and fully loaded 3500Kg Ifor Williams trailer to fill up with diesel. Dave was driving and as usual driving right on the speed limit of 30mph.

We came over the level crossing heading out of town towards Ludlow and it's junction with the Leominster by pass. At the approach to the roundabout which has an OK diner and big Total garage to the left of it, I just did what any driver who is passenger does, and that was to observe.

I noticed a lorry coming from Ludlow towards the roundabout at which, we were going to turn right at. However one thing grabbed my attention. The map on the steering wheel of the truck!!

Dave had got his right turn signal on and was in the correct position on the road to execute his right turn.

I said to Dave "whatch the truck". To which Dave replied " yeh yeh".

Now as we entered the roundabout I repeated my warning but dave still carried on. The there was an almighty blast of truck horns and you guessed it the truck skidding to avoid our trailer.

Now Dave somewhat red faced said " he had no right turn signal on so what the F*** was he playing at"!!!!

I said that that driver was giving an idea of what he was likely to do. To which Dave said "how"?

I proceeded to explain my theory.

You see as he was approaching the roundabout,I noticed the map on the steering wheel and a puzzled look on the drivers face. Now remember the OK diner and big Total garage on the junction.

Where better place for a driver to ask for directions, park his 38ton lorry, top up with diesel and have a bacon butty. What a bargain!!

What the lorry driver forgot was that Dave didn't have ESP and what Dave forgot was to look "outside the box"!!

You don't need to be einsteign to think a little harder and look a little closer at people to guess what they might just be stupid enough to do.

By realy looking and observing you will have a less stressfull and a much safer drive and also some entertainment of just how daft some people are on the roads.

Steve L.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies - sorry if you thought it a daft question.

Steve in Leo - You've mentioned some points that will be very helpful - thanks.

Aug 29, 2007
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies - sorry if you thought it a daft question.

Steve in Leo - You've mentioned some points that will be very helpful - thanks.
wow steve good advice, when my dad was teaching me to drive some 30+ yrs ago, he said read the road like a book, for you never know what is around the corner.

And always look at what other drivers are or might do, look at there wheels, and position they are in.

3 weeks ago on 1 roundabout while waiting behind an other car, the ocupents seemed to be arguing whitch way to go.

Then the guy shot out infront on a motorbike, the biker was useing the rules you speek of, and missed what could have been a bad one.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Steve has given an excellent response, one thing I would wish to add, look out for the cyclist coming down the nearside of the van. I have had this happen to me twice now, when concentrating on ahead it's easy to forget the sides

Frank

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Steve has given an excellent response, one thing I would wish to add, look out for the cyclist coming down the nearside of the van. I have had this happen to me twice now, when concentrating on ahead it's easy to forget the sides

Frank
drive the road you see in front of you,the more you listen to [experts] the more you worry youself towards a error.

TRENDING THREADS