What the......

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Took the cover off the van and washed it ready for the service tomorrow and found this? Will talk to the service eng tomorrow then dealer. Is it a stress crack or delamination?
DSC_0111.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
quote="EH52ARH" post=427526]Rick, have a very good look around your van, our 2013 Coachman a year ago developed a crack in the rear panel, replaced under warranty. Only 14% damp inside. But I had not noticed it really, thought at first it was a dirt streak.

20160812_134229_zpstc0mia46.jpg
[/quote]

Not the same , mine was from a wrongly drilled panel.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Service engineer assures me that it a stress crack and showed me several pictures of similar damage to Swifts and others. My dealer's response is as good as usual - send me a pic and we'll arrange for a new rear panel- two days work. It seems the design exceeds the limits of the materials used - something that seems to be prevalent in the caravan construction industry.
BTW Elddis taken over yesterday by Hymer - good news for Elddis owners and buyers methinks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What you see is the old age problem of piece work pay , rushing against the clock for more money and turnout at the expense of quality. Some years ago Bailey went through stress cracks in their end panels. Easily cured by making the correct size screw hole in the panel and only securing once the entire panel is correctly lined up. Hardly rocket science ;)
I thought all the manufacturers had cured this unnecessary problem :eek:hmy:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think all UK builders have this problem, some more than others, so whatever make you have it pays to check the panels. Not sure if it is bad design, faulty materials or bad construction.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The service now done. Damp report shows(like last year) several areas where the readings are raised (highest is 20%). Last year it was deemed to be because of damp/cold weather etc. There are more areas tho this year but none around the rear cracked panel (although as this is above the bathroom with plastic walls this area is not tested. Since last year the front window has been removed/refitted due to a leaking seal. I have asked the dealer to recheck following the rear panel replacement.
Damp%20report001.jpg

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
'Easily cured by making the correct size screw hole in the panel and only securing once the entire panel is correctly lined up. Hardly rocket science '

No screws in Elddis now tho....

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grahamh said:
'Easily cured by making the correct size screw hole in the panel and only securing once the entire panel is correctly lined up. Hardly rocket science

No screws in Elddis now tho....

And they still crack :blink:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts