What to look for when inspecting an old caravan??

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I am looking at an old caravan (1970's Abbey) this weekend, here is the Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140461416561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know absolutely nothing about caravans and although I will take a professional to look at it if I decide to buy it I'd like to know what sort of things I should be looking for on first inspection. I was going to take a damp meter from HSS (The one that costs £500! but only a tenner to hire!) but what else should I look for?

All help greatly appreciated!!

PS What do you think of the price? Again, I have no idea! I just want an old classic shaped caravan that sleeps four that I can spruce up a la www.mycoolcaravan.com

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rosie
First of all you need to take into account the age of the caravan and make up a checklist of things that may be worn but are repairable and things that would rule the purchase out altogether.
Price? - The caravan on any auction site is worth whatever price you are willing to give for it! I see from the link that there appears to be others interested in having a look so the best approach might be to be prepared to pay the asking price and take account of the things that you will need to budget for if you decide to buy.
OK, let's see.....
Have a walk around the outside of the caravan to look for any obvious problems such as scrapes, holes, major dents that would rule out the purchase.
Have a closer look on the second walk round and check:
Windows & Door- Catches working? Windows cracked? Anything loose or likely to fall off?
Awning rail- Loose, Dented?
Rubber Trim cracked or loose?(if fitted, some older caravans have decorative rubber trim strips which is replaceable but may have allowed water to enter)
Gas Bottle Box - Lid Secure? Box Securely Mounted? Gas Bottle Secured Inside? Rubber Hose Split or Perished? Budget for a replacement gas hose anyway.
Handbrake Working and Releasing Correctly?
Hitch Operating properly, Push back the hitch, there should be resistance and it should slide back forwards slowly, if not the hitch damper spring needs attention. Rubber Spring Cover OK?
Look inside the exterior light lenses front and back for signs of water or mildew.If water has entered the lenses theres a good chance that it's also entered the caravan.
Check the condition of the mastic sealant between panels, it will probably be dry and cracked and you may need to re seal the caravan if you buy.
Have a look underneath the caravan with a torch, I've seen bits of mild steel screwed underneath to disguise floor problems! Anything similar or other than the flat original plywood floor panel, walk away!
Check the condition of the tyres including the spare, ask how old they are and if over 5 years budget for replacements.
Ask if and when the caravan was serviced or maintained, a full dealer service history would be too much to expect but if you decide to buy you should budget for the services of a caravan service engineer who is gas qualified.(Damian will tell you more about this)
Are there any handbooks or other paperwork with the caravan? These are always good to have.

Ok, so far, so good....Now check the interior.
Check that both halves of the door open, close and lock correctly.
Any musty smells? Air fresheners? Scented Candles? These can be indicative of damp.
As you walk inside is the floor solid or springy in places especially near to the sink and cooker? Creaky? This could be delamination, fixable, not too expensive but a potentially messy diy job.
Have a look at where the side and floor panels meet, any gaps or black mould? Dont forget to look inside bed boxes and cupboards (still got your torch?)
Chech where the water inlet enters the caravan, any signs of past leaks?
Dont forget to check the toilet / wash cubicle.
Caravan wall panelling, discolouration or black mould? Soft Spots especially around winows? Check inside lockers especially along the side where the awning is fitted.
Check the ceiling panels, any distortion or dicolouration? Is there a rooflight (opaque opening ventilation panel) fitted? Check for signs of water ingress, cracked seals or cracked plasic on the rooflght ( replaceable for around £70)
Check the locker, fridge and oven doors, are they secure when closed?
How are the beds assembled? Are they secure when assembled? (You will no doubt discard the upholstery after using it as a pattern for the replacement)
Look at the linings of the curtains, black spotting is a tell tale sign of damp.
If everything is ok ask to see the 12v lighting, fridge, heater, cooker and water systems working. Does the fridge operate on 240v and Gas? (Often retro rallies have no ehu available, 12v fridge operation is only used when travelling and is not a realistic option on a rally)
Is there a leisure battery fitted? EHU lead?
Beside the awning are there any other bits and pieces in with the deal?
How about the caravan step, waste and fresh water containers?
Good Luck

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
wow! Thanks Parksy! That is a very comprehensive list, feel quite tired now! Will check as much as I can then take along a caravan man!! Thanks again!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies Rosie
smiley-embarassed.gif

I tried to make it so that if you print some of my points off and take them with when you have a look you could tick them off as you walk round, then do the same inside the caravan.
I've seen some real munters offered for sale from time to time and it's surprising the lengths that some people will go to in order to con the unwary. If everything in the advert is true the caravan is worthy of a punt providing that there are no nasty surprises.
Enjoy looking ( as you may have guessed, I do
smiley-laughing.gif
)

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Parksy, I will indeed print off and take with, better to have too much info than not enough. If nothing else I will be able to ask some inteligent questions courtesy of you! Am very excited to see it! I also have a 78 Constructam four berth to see at £1100. No further info yet. It's fun looking at caravans!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When you have bought your caravan don't forget the 'before' and 'after' pictures. It would be great to see a sort of pictorial history of a cool conversion.
I'd expect rather a lot for an £1100 payment on a 32 year old caravan. Don't let on to vendors about the retro conversion, it will bump up the asking price
smiley-sealed.gif

TRENDING THREADS