What tow car/4x4?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
Why do you think the noseweight at 90kg is disappointing? I guess that your caravans Alko hitch load is limited to 100kg. So is 10kg really going to make a difference given all of the other variable that come into play when towing a caravan.

I suppose its because I am loathe to let the nose-weight gauge go even slightly over the 90KG mark for fear of damage to the car. As you quite correctly state the maximum static load for the ALKO hitch is 100KG, but it would have been nice if the Volvo's towball limit matched this figure. In practice it does not seem to be an issue, as I have been very careful with the loading and payload. The only exception was when I picked up the caravan from the dealer, the nose weight was over 90KG with an empty van + Gas Bottle & Leisure battery.

Given the dynamic loads on the hitch I don’t think a small discrepancy on noseweight limit would adversely affect the car whether it has a 90kg limit or 70kg limit. I won’t say anything about the accuracy of measuring noseweight as I’m sure you will know that this can lead to long threads.
Like you I measured noseweight when I collected my current caravan and it too was suprisingly heavy as most heavy kit is well forward of the axle. I had to compensate with putting some extra weight at the back. It’s something dealers don’t seem to cover in their speil. Although I guess that as you are ready to hitch up they breath a sigh of relief.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Given the dynamic loads on the hitch I don’t think a small discrepancy on noseweight limit would adversely affect the car whether it has a 90kg limit or 70kg limit. I won’t say anything about the accuracy of measuring noseweight as I’m sure you will know that this can lead to long threads.
Like you I measured noseweight when I collected my current caravan and it too was suprisingly heavy as most heavy kit is well forward of the axle. I had to compensate with putting some extra weight at the back. It’s something dealers don’t seem to cover in their speil. Although I guess that as you are ready to hitch up they breath a sigh of relief.

I did consider that when I saw the term "Static Load" in the caravan manual, there must be peak loads of several hundred KG acting on the towball and hitch when driving.

I took my cheap and nasty Noseweight gauge with me when I collected the caravan; it was perfectly adequate for checking my lightweight caravan, but it struggled under the nose of the Sprite. In their defence, the dealer did produce a Millenco gauge as I insisted that the noseweight be 90KG or less. After taking all of the included items out of the Gas Locker (step, steady winder, EHU cable) bar the gas bottle, and putting it in the car, it was about OK for the short trip home.

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
I run a Discovery Sport which tows my Sprite Major 6 with ease and my previous van a Swift Challenger sport. The good thing about the Disco Sport is that it has its own built in anti snake device which is remarkable at stopping the van snaking (experienced it on the A66 with my Challenger sport).
The fuel economy is great and I know they are reasonable price second hand and most come with a 5 year service pack. Interior space is great I am 6'1 and have two tall kids all fit in fine

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
glock1092 said:
The good thing about the Disco Sport is that it has its own built in anti snake device which is remarkable at stopping the van snaking (experienced it on the A66 with my Challenger sport).

That's a good place for it to be tested as we travel on the A66 quite a lot and I hate that road as it's too open ! Was down to 40 mile an hour the other week when we went to Barnard Castle

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
A caravan with a MTPLM under 1400kg will be perfectly safe behind a Kuga, Tiguan, CRV, Tucson, with AWD.
I tow 1700kg with a Mazda CX-5 with no problems.

As for not needing AWD they were the only cars towing off the CL I've recently left. Only having FWD with limit your choices IME.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Dustydog said:
The Al-ko AK 3400 is rated with a maximum nose load of 100kgs. All caravan chassis manufacturers quote the maximum nose load on their hitch. Check yours.

Actually, the AKS 3004 hitch itself is rated at 150kg max. noseweight. The 100kg noseweight limit that you refer to applies to the chassis frame. I believe BPW produce some chassis with a 150kg limit, but it's always the lower of the two values that applies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts