What Tow Car

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Graeme

My father has a K reg 530 petrol estate V8 I think, drives beautifully even after 100K miles, I've been trying to persuade him to add a tow bar! Thing is the mpg would be low I think.

Helen

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I think you find that big engined cars don't seem to do many mpg less when they tow a caravan - even though they are not very economical in the first place.

I towed with a 3.0l 24v Vauxhall Senator and the mpg only dropped by about 2 when towing a van.

My current 3.0l diesel BMW only drops about 4mpg when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graeme,

Just a little point regarding the 85% it is only a guideline derived by the CC. It has no legal importance. It is not a rule.

The only figurs that have legal significance are those forming the type approvals for tow vehicles and trailers.

Though I labour the legal point, I do agree that 85% is a sensible loading target caravans especially for novice towers.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tony,

I tow a 26ft Spectrum 540 Twin axle with a Merc S Class 320cdi, this does everything luxury motoring on its own as a car returning 38 mpg on motorway, and 25/26 mpg towing the van. also self levellins suspension, and plenty of grunt.

best of luck with your search for a new car

mike

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
tell us some more please.
Hi Jo,

Sorry, only just found your request to tell you more. Well, apart from the fact that the veg oil conversion is the best thing I ever did, www.dieselveg.com can fill in the blanks for you. My motoring is incredibly cheap these days and if you can collect your own oil, (pubs, restaurants etc etc) thats fine and is your cheapest option as you can pick it up for nothing. The Government want 27.1p per litre used- yes I know- they are supposed to be supporting green initiatives but they are only interested in parting us from our money believe me! Your alternative is to buy it new from a supermarket or used from someone like dieselveg. There are a few things that you need to know about changing engine oil more regularly and filters but generally I have found it fantastic! Ask for Clive and tell him you spoke to Merve through the forum. Best of luck.

MERVE

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tony,

I tow a 26ft Spectrum 540 Twin axle with a Merc S Class 320cdi, this does everything luxury motoring on its own as a car returning 38 mpg on motorway, and 25/26 mpg towing the van. also self levellins suspension, and plenty of grunt.

best of luck with your search for a new car

mike
tony see comment below

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne,

The S class is only available as a saloon - and this has self levelling air suspension as standard.

The E and C class can be either a saloon or estate, and self levelling suspension is fitted to the estate models.

I tow our Eriba Triton (1200 kg) with a C270 CDI and see 50+ mpg on a long journey, and on the drive back from the caravan dealer after it's annual service saw 41 mpg towing on dual carriageways and A-roads.

But usually I only!! get 36 mpg when towing - and of course it's an automatic. People with the C220 usually see closer to 30 mpg towing - the bigger, more powerful, higher torque engines are much more suited to towing.

Robert

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi It is the MPG I am currently getting about 23mpg solo wich is costing me when I do bus miles. If I were getting 28-30mpg combined I would not have a problem. I agree sticking with a 4x4 is the best option but the cost with my mpg is an issue
Tony, follow this string.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we bought out van last year we purchased a ford Mondeo 115 2.0 TDCI we tow a Bailey Ranger 500/5 we found that it was good as a tow car, then we added to our family as in a Labrador called Coco so this year we had a New Mondeo Estate 155 2.2 TDCI I can recommend a mondeo hatchback as a tow car the Estate will beat it by miles. We used the Estate for the first time May day weekend and we travelled to our site which was 1 1/2 hours away and i must stay that we never new we had the caravan on the back of us. The Estate has plenty of power and a very comfortable drive without the fact that it does well as a everyday car for running the kids to and from school.

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Does anybody tow a 1700kg MPTLM Van with an E class Merc. I may look at the 2'ish year old E320 estate. I think the kerb weight is around 1850kg and it should have bags of power.

Let me know what you think

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts