What was the right thing to do? Hill problem the other day

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a very steep hill that we must negotiate on a country road every time we travel. Last weekend we started the climb and as usual got upto spees OK but then noticed we were fast approaching a lorry that put it's flashers on and started to slow. The lorry was still some distance ahead but then stopped and started to reverse into one of the drives on the hill..I must admit I panacked a bit and just started to slow down hoping the lorry would be out the way before I arrived by him meaning I would not have to stop. I got down to second gear and was now crawling along at 10mph and just managed to pass the lorry as it was going into the drive. I pushed my foot flat to the floor but had no more power and continued to crawl up the hill at 10mph (BIG QUEUE) behind me. I did make it up the hill, all but slow, I was wondering wheter I should of changed down to first gear, but did not want to do so, not knowing how the car and van would have taken this...It is a busy hill and has now put me off going up it, but we need to every time we take the van out.

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
Paul&Ruth

it would have been safer to stop and then start in first gear.The same thing happened to me a few years ago,very scary.Try not to worry about whats behind you at times like this, it only gets you into a panic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Often the problem when two road users, doing what they are allowed to do "cross" each other in this way.

Yes the lorry could have seen you coming and waited until no other traffic - but if he did that he could be there all day.

I think I would have done what you did slow down to accomadate what the lorry os doing as far as is possible then carry on. I understand the problem about changing gear as well!

One of my main reasons for having an auto. - You do need a big engine tho' - so it is all a bit of a compromise.

OK - you guys may have caused a bit of a tail back by being slow. But think of the potential chaos if you had NOT read the situation well and ended up stopping and not being able to pull away again!

I saw this on a ferry to france once where an outfit was forced to stop on a ramp rather than be allowed a "run up" and all he got was loads of clutch smoke and no go. It was not a good situation and certainly spoiled the start to that families holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe first would have been a better gear.

At 10 mph, the engine won't have been producing much power so it probably needed to be working higher up the rev range where it develops more power.

Diesel drivers should remember that power drops like a stone below the revs where maximum torque develops.

Hi, Paul and Ruth,

As Paul said the best solution is to stop, engage first gear and pull off again, if your car speed picks up enough to take second then change up, if not carry on in first at a slow speed. I know that none of us holds traffic up on purpose but on these occaisons needs must, try and disregard others and concentrate on your own percieved predicament. I have been towing for nearly 30 years and occaisonaly s**t happens. Even though you might think otherwise other road users behind might alredy have realized what was ahead if so and when they eventually do overtake you aknowledge their patience with a wave.

Last year I was leaving for a weekend away, near where I live there is a two lane set of traffic lights with a road emerging from the left half way along the near side lane, at this point the road is marked keep clear, I was anticipating that the traffic in front would keep going through the green lights and that I would clear the junction. Wrong. The front car stalled, the lights changed and I finished up stopped well and truely blocking the side turning with the 'van. This prompted a long sounding of horn from the agreived motorist with surrounding motorists most likley saying look at that dipstick with the Caravan, instead of realising that towing over 34ft. of unit I usually allow for the unexpected but got it wrong this time. I wasn't exactly exstatic about it but there wasn't any way out. This was of course made worse because the car driver from the left couldn't see me for the Van, so no eye contact or appology could be made. This set of lighs seemed to take an eternity to change and I admit to squirming a little. The fact that this happened last year, and I can still recall it so clearly shows how concerned I am about it, but I still use the same route a little wiser perhaps, but something else will happen one day, just put it down to experience. After all I see solo motorists **** it up every day.

Eddie.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There really was no need to hesitate about changing into first gear at 10mph. One should always be in a gear that enables some appreciable acceleration.

There's a long steep hill on a motorway near to where I live and I used to negotiate that at 50mph in second gear in order to keep up with the flow of traffic. OK, the engine was screaming away just below the red line and the car was at the top of its towing limit and a bit thin on performance but it never complained despite doing it for several years. (Needless to say, I tow with something else now.)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi - you are not alone in having nightmares when tackling steep uphill gradients, particularly with a front wheel drive vehicle which tends to lose traction whilst going up an incline. I was trained in the event of being stopped on a steep incline to stop with the front wheels turned at an angle so that it assisted the brakes. and when you started to move you could lessen the angle of incline and slightly zig-zagging until you were confident that your outfit was picking up speed.

I also have nightmares at unmanned railway crossings and getting stuck in the middle when a train is due. I now do not enter a crossing until the vehicle ahead is well across. If any one has views on how to confidently tackle uphill and xrsing problems I would like to listen to them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anyone who has stayed at Darwin Forest Country Park will know what I mean by this. The park does not accept caravans anymore, which is a shame as it was a lovely place to stay, but in the brochure it stipulated that you approach the site from one particular direction, the other being unsuitable for caravans. Well, what with one thing and another we ended tackling the wrong direction complete with full load and van. Believe me when I say the road was tortuous in the extreme, very steep and twisty, even with what I call a capable tow car, we struggled, changing from first to second when we could and second to first when we had to, coincidently we passed on our way up, the friends that we were meeting at the site, on their way down. They looked as disturbed as we felt, afterwards saying that they didn't know how we made it up the hill. We were followed up the hill by a couple of cars, neither of which managed to pass us, but I would like to believe that they were perhaps a little miffed that we had gone up there in the first place but more relieved for us not having stalled or worse, on the way up. Like Eddie says, we all make mistakes, it's how we handle them that makes the difference. If you made it up the hill, then that's all you or they can ask for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice...We are away again for the half term week and I have to say was not looking forward to towing as this event had knocked my confidence. I know this is my (our) first season and things will get better as my confidence and experience grows, but as some of you say, these things can also happen to the most experienced person towing.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Don't let your little spot of bother spoil your hobby.

First gear is quite fine and you will still be going faster than any lorry crawling up a steep hill.

We tow a twenty foot twin axle van with a front wheel drive car and on steep hill's we have to use first and second gear as previously mentioned. Most car drivers are understanding and wait fairly patiently for the right time to overtake.

You are better off to slow down and keep momentum than to stop on a hill as then you could get wheel spin. We certainly do and then you need to reverse down the hill and try again, that is a pain to do.

Keep vanning.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We were caught once on a steep hill and the road was gravel so we didn't get enough grip to carry on. Rather than reversing all the way back, we uncoupled, turned the caravan around by hand, and drove back down to try again. Second time lucky.

Another alternative if you are forced to come to a stop and the road is wide enough is to bring the car as far as possible at right angles to the caravan. That way, the caravan won't be pulling with its full weight as you try to move off. This method is particularly useful if the road is icey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Often the problem when two road users, doing what they are allowed to do "cross" each other in this way.

Yes the lorry could have seen you coming and waited until no other traffic - but if he did that he could be there all day.

I think I would have done what you did slow down to accomadate what the lorry os doing as far as is possible then carry on. I understand the problem about changing gear as well!

One of my main reasons for having an auto. - You do need a big engine tho' - so it is all a bit of a compromise.

OK - you guys may have caused a bit of a tail back by being slow. But think of the potential chaos if you had NOT read the situation well and ended up stopping and not being able to pull away again!

I saw this on a ferry to france once where an outfit was forced to stop on a ramp rather than be allowed a "run up" and all he got was loads of clutch smoke and no go. It was not a good situation and certainly spoiled the start to that families holiday.
think you hit the nail on the head Clive "read the road ahead"at all times,expect the unexpected

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth,

You can see that many of us have our own "towing nightmares" my solution is to use a heavy powerful car; currently an offroader specifically dedicated to vanning. It's not an attractive idea for everyone but the ability to go anywhere with as big a van as you want is great for peace of mind.

Hills and "tricky situations" just become memories and you can concentrate on having fun.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Nobody is questioning the virtues of a powerful 4x4 in such conditions and you do say that it's not an attractive idea for everyone but the purpose of this thread was to give those that are unable or unwilling to tow with a 4x4, especially those towing with front wheel drive cars, hints on how to make the best of what they've got.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Paul & Ruth,

In spite of the Lutz comment the motive was to be helpful - my solution to the steep hill, wheel spin lack of power syndrome is put forward as a genuine option not a lifestyle recommendation.

I went that route because I found myself frequently getting into situations where an ordinary vehicle was coping badly. The getting your angle right before pulling off, disconnecting the vehicle and super anticipation advice is sound enough but personally I would rather just tow the van in all circumstances without any hassle - which is what I do.

I know you are new to vanning and maybe you want to give this idea some thought or maybe you don't; it's a free country as they say.

Shouldn't have mentioned that my towcar is a "you know what" but I'd forgotton how sensitive an issue this is to some folks - make that a large powerful vehicle, prefferably with RWD - and forget I said it.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
From your response I fear that you have misunderstood my statement as criticism of 4x4's. It wasn't meant to be that at all. I'm in the fortunate position to also have a dedicated towcar which also happens to be a 4x4 but that's only because I can afford one now. Before, when we only had one car in the family we had to make compromises and being able to manage a couple of hundred yards on slippery ground once or twice a year just didn't figure very high on the list of priorities.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Lutz, it must be paranoia setting in - these guys don't have the odd compromise situation though do they, the blinkin hill is there every time they take the van out.

I sympathise so much as I live on the side of a "small mountain" myself, added to which the van storage site is at the bottom of a steep farm track; the worry as to wether you will get stuck or baulked by traffic every time you take a trip is very real and for me was spoiling the fun.

We even used to start out at 4.30 am when the Van was kept at the house so as to get a clear run at the hill without having to stop for traffic - now that's ridiculous but I bet it's run through Paul & Ruths mind too

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I have to say, "we know the feeling". I a minor way, we have to negotiate a steepening lefthand bend which, if you get stopped, and it's at all slippery (even heavy rain), you can find the wheels fighting a losing battle for grip. It was to remove this fear each time we take out the caravan that we have opted to replace our estate car with a heavier vehicle, with RWD which, when extra traction is required, will engage the front wheels and drive them also. (There, I didn't say a banned word!).

John

Oct 29, 2005
Visit site
depending on the width of the road you might not have had to stop. However you could easily select first gear at less than 20 mph, even in a diesel (most cars will achieve 25 to 30 in first gear if required). If the hill is that steep you will have to work the car very hard to get moving at any reasonable speed. Look in your car manual to see where the maximum torque and bhp are placed in the rev range and then use your rev counter to place the engine in those areas. If you are concerned about going up that hill every time you leave for your holiday, where do you go if you go the other way? It may be longer but it is less stressful. Your on holiday why worry about things.

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
Paul & Ruth.

I too do not relish the prospect of getting stuck on a steep incline. This is my families first year of caravanning and so far have been luck enough to have had clear runs at the inclines that we have encountered. I dont know what fuel your tow car runs on but if it is a petrol and you have a Shell petrol station close by I would recommend trying Optimax. I dont know if it would have any benefit from a standing start (or at low revs) but I have found that whilst on the move the engine maintains its revs and pulls a lot better when encountering hills and inclines - it feels more comforatble towing. I believe Optimax has a RON rating of 98 (ordinary and "super" unleaded is 95 and 97 respectively)and this certainly seems to make a difference. The downside is that it is 7/8 pence per litre more than the ordinary stuff (but fuel economy may be improved as you dont have to change down so often) and in some areas it is difficult to find a Shell station.

TRENDING THREADS