What would you want from a storage site?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bearing in mind the price you pay for storing your caravan, what do you deem as being necessary and what could be added as an extra for you and your van.

For example, if you were to pay £200 a year, would you expect marked bays or a place to wash your caravan on the site?

As someone who is tinkering with the idea of setting up cheap but secure storage what would you look for that would make you want to use such a site?

Thanks for your time,

Lawrence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol

My Provence is in storage on gravel with marked bays, however it is the selfish attitude of owners who want a bit more space than they have paid for.

I recently took mine back and without a caravan mover would not have got it in it's space, as it is the (inconsiderate)owner of the twin next door had to come back and move his.

My storage site now charges

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a shortage of storage facilites for caravans but the problem is cost vs. business return.

For a secure outside storage area you would probably need to live on site (i.e. converted farm land), away from towns (kids throwing bricks) in order for it to appeal to caravan owners or more importantly their insurers.

The option is inside storage, however if an avergae van (including access area) is 105sqft and they are willing to pay

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to correct you but if you join the Masons, I presume you mean Freemasons?? you do not have to keep it a secret . I am a Freemason and proud of it. The secrecy aspect is only one of the things that people don't understand about us.

You can visit Grand Lodge in London and go all round it , except any rooms where meetings are being held. Even better it is entirely free and we don't even ask for a donation.

Regards

Tony
I stand corrected, always happy to conceed when I am proved wrong. I apologise if you were offended, as no offence was intended

Steve W

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I stand corrected, always happy to conceed when I am proved wrong. I apologise if you were offended, as no offence was intended

Steve W
I am sure none was intended and please be assured none was taken.

As a matter of interest there is a lot of literature available about Freemasonry and any one can purchase it not just Masons.

Regards

Tony

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Lawrence at the moment but soon to change we keep our van in storage with no mark bays, uneven ground. The owners (who are very nice) open at noon on a saturday and have recently decided to close on a sunday which isnt good to man nor beast since most people want to return on that day. So good opening hours would be a big plus and even coin operated wash system but not the kind you stick a pound in the machine and you get a square inch cleaned!!

good luck

ycg

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the caravan storage site.I found that my van was one of fifteen broken into. They stole the CD player, a torch a fire extinguisher,dishcharged another one inside the van and made a mess in the toilet. For this I pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve W,

I sympathise whole heartedly with you, Storage is a problem across the country. We have to accept these days that security is a necessary evil, and as soon as a new security option is launched, the thieves and vandals are trying to find ways around it, So costs are inevitably likely to rise.

But harping back to a similar thread not long ago on this forum, If a storage facility is offered and claims to provide some type of security, which is then breached, who is responsible? Should it be the person who leaves thier treasured possesion in the hands of the site owner, or should it be the site owner?.

Recent cases involving car park operators has cast into doubt the the legality of the site owner posting disclaimers such as 'Cars and contents left at owners risk'. If a business charges to allow the storage of cars or any property they have a duty of care to protect that property. If damage or loss ensues through thier negligence then there is a good chance they can be held liable for it. Any reputable site owner should carry insurance cover.

Dont just lie down and accept that it falls on you or your insurance, ask your insurance company to seek redress from the site owner if thier security has failed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What I want from a storage site is heavy security, van locked in a building, flexible access for me. Dont much care about washing facilities - I do that when I am touring.Close to the M5 would be good too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments, they have given me a clear idea of what people expect from a storage facility. My problem is finding the land first to get it up and running, seems it's not as easy as I initially thought. The housing shortage is having a knock on effect for all land sales, commercial included. Still, I have plenty of time...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts