What's a residential pitch worth?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a static caravan on a residential pitch.The caravan is over 20 years old so would probably want replacing in the not too distant future. I don't want to lose money buying it as would be using up all my savings. How much would a pitch without the caravan be worth. It's a small pitch up in Cumbria

The yearly fees are £800

Thanks, Simon

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you do your sums properly before you get involve with a static.my brother in law has one in Dawlish Warren,name is similar to Polo sweets,Yearly fees are near £4000,gas and electric on meters with standing charges etc,boiler must be serviced under terms and conditions so pays for British gas,another £300 ish for service contract.After 10 years from new keeping it on there is at owners discretion depending on its condition,after 20 years it must be replaced.It cost £33000 so around £70 a week in depreciation if it makes 10 years.I think its costing nearly £200 a week to own and he uses it about 8 weeks a year in total.I think he could have a five star hotel whenever he wanted to get away and still have change.A static makes a touring van look a bargain imho and if you dont like whats happening on site or your neighbors you can easily move,it is often very difficult to resell statics except to the site owners at very unfavourable rates.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We had a static caravan some years back and swore we would never have another one!!! Site owners are great until they have you on site but then they can charge almost anything for anything, and usually ask that the van be renewed every 10 years. If you are considering changing the static you will no doubt be required to fork out disconnection fees and reconnection fees on the new static. Make sure you do your homework before heading down that route. You might also get stung if you decide to sell as the site owner(s) like to get their fingers into part of that as well.

You could consider looking for a seasonal pitch that is fully serviced (some sites are open all year) and buy a tourer. At least you can pull the van off if you don't like how things are run.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts