What's inside our March 2017 issue?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The March 2017 issue of Practical Caravan is on sale now! Featuring two fab Irish tours, three caravan reviews and more, including the full results of our Owner Satisfaction Awards 2017, can you afford to miss it? Please click here to find out more.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have just got it and am appalled at the survey findings. Almost all makes seem to have gone backwards except Eldiss, but there figures are nothing to write home about either. Looks like essential reading before you buy this year or possibly after reading you will not buy this year.
Given that Sprite and Venus top the list I am still wondering if those buying cheaper caravans expect less. It would be interesting to know if those buying Pursuits and Xplores are happier than those spending more on the same firms more upmarket models.
Water ingress problems seem to have gone up considerably and it would help buyers decisions to know who the most guilty firms are.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just read the March edition. The survey tells me that our Manufacturers are a disgrace to their industry. It is untenable in this day and age to have a new product failure rate in excess of 20%. I note most of the problems are build and fixing issues closely followed by ancillliary equipment made by others. :(
The used market has faired better presumably because the dealer and owner have ironed out the bugs :)
So why do we still have so many failures :angry:

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Just read the March edition. The survey tells me that our Manufacturers are a disgrace to their industry. It is untenable in this day and age to have a new product failure rate in excess of 20%. I note most of the problems are build and fixing issues closely followed by ancillliary equipment made by others. :(
The used market has faired better presumably because the dealer and owner have ironed out the bugs :)
So why do we still have so many failures :angry:

Go and stand in the corner with your pointy hat on :p

They are not Manufacturers, they are assemblers of common poor quality parts. Aided and abetted by decades of customers that have happily accepted poor quality in order to not upset those awfully nice chaps at the dealer they've returned to time after time to get another poorly assembled bag of common poor quality parts thrown together and masquerading as a caravan :p

Until such a time as buyers inflict pain on the dealers and upwards to the assemblers, by employing their lawful rights and reject every single poorly assembled bag of common poor quality parts for each and every single fault, nothing will change. It may seem unfair on the dealers people have bought from repeatedly, but modern day caravans are not cheap and should be of merchantable quality.

Having earlier today collected my poor quality heap of carp (a flagship caravan at a purchase price of over £25k) after a week away having the remainder of the 25+ faults remedied, I have no sympathy whatsoever with the assemblers, who know full well what the root causes of the poor quality are and choose to not do anything about it.

The worst kind of business is one that deals with personal purchases at scale in monetary terms and treats those individuals with complete and utter disdain. Caravan assemblers fall into that category.

I'm holding my view on my caravan until returning from a shakedown trip in the forthcoming half term holiday. Heres hoping it'll be alright on the night :p

I did sense indifference at the dealers, I trust the assemblers haven't enacted punitive measures against them for my rightful remediation of the assemblers failings. Some will doubtless say my contract is with the dealer, but contracts should be fair. :p

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the prof will have a lot to say as to why but I am beginning to think I'll be looking at second hand as and when I'm allowed to change.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I fully agree with the previous posters, And our pride and joy is now about to begin its 4th year, so with only a new power control panel, a complete rear panel, due to a crack, and two new hex shafts for the motor mover (Powertouch evolution) a faulty batch. We have had a fairly trouble free 12000 miles of touring.

Our intention was to keep this van for many years and as it appears that we have a good one( for now at least) we shall not even look at changing it.
Happy touring to all.
Hutch.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
I'm sure the prof will have a lot to say as to why but I am beginning to think I'll be looking at second hand as and when I'm allowed to change.

But who's to say you wont pick one that has been part ex by a disgruntled previous owner, fed up with all the faults, ahhh you can never win in this world.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Kev, that's depressed me now :( not that I'll be allowed one for a very long time if ever :( My beloved doesn't see the point in changing :( Oh and the bungalow has been a constant money pit since September. :(

Wonder if I can convince her 55k for the drive from WAV is a good investment? Somehow I think that one was lost before I even get started on it. :(

Back to bed I think for a long hard crying session :(

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
we paid £6k for our second hand van, with hardly any problems since. Those we had were made by ourselves. We will never have a brand new, after reading all the reports about how awful they are!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mel, our first van a Sterling Eccles Jewel, 2nd hand, lovely thing ticked all the boxes, Split shower tray, repaired by the dealer, gas leak on third time out, repaired my self, ( please dont bite Prof) had to be done. Had it for about 3 years, trouble free, bought our first Coachman New, Only front window Chaffing problem, replaced with New designed one, 3 years later fell in love with the Coachman 560, and thats been great until last year but back panel replaced, so thats it, this will see us through for a long time, don't like the quality of the new vans, So not going to the NEC, get my double Blue from the local canal shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts