What's the ú495 for?

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
Having recently bought a brand new Bailey Ranger I was surprised that it did not come with a battery. In the Pageant and Senator range they are both fitted with batteries but still pay the £495. I suppose this question has been asked before but what is that money upfront for? In other words what do I get for my money?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No battery in the Senator neither, When we ordered our current van last year I was told it was the delivery fee from the factory and the cost of doing the PDI. Obviously you have to question the value for money when you read what has been missed on many PDI's on this forum.

G

So you are paying for a check that they have put your van together correctly ?

Surely that is what you expect when you buy the van, not that you have to pay extra !

G

If you shop in Tesco they have a price for the goods the same around the country. Delivery charge is included in the shelf price!

What is the difference with a car or caravan?

You don't pay to have someone PDI check that your Tesco baked beans or Tesco DVD player is AOK either.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
If you shop in Tesco they have a price for the goods the same around the country. Delivery charge is included in the shelf price!

What is the difference with a car or caravan?

You don't pay to have someone PDI check that your Tesco baked beans or Tesco DVD player is AOK either.
Not in Inverness they don't. Tesco were charging over 6p a litre more for petrol in Inverness, than they were in Elgin, 40 miles away! The reason for this, Elgin have an Asda, and Inverness doesn't. No competition.

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

Seemingly Bailey ship all their vans up to a transport company in the Forest of Dean and then they get distributed round the country.

Not sure if that is because space is at a premium at the factory in Bristol.

At the rate the prices are going up,we shall need to save up just for the delivery price :eek:)

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
We were recently at a dealer in Cheshire area and noticed the additional pricing, what a thought, there should be an option to pick up at the factory, or the cost should be built into the cost of the van from the begining, I'm not happy when I see that added price, I think that most dealers would want to deliver the van to the customer who has just spent their childrens inheritance so that additional businss can be obtained, awnings, etc. seems like a good business practice for dealers to want to make for good customer service, I don't go back to places who don't give me good service, ignore me while shopping, or talk to other employees while waiting on me. Now add the fact they don't think enough of me to have the van tip top ready to go if I purchase if from them. Sorry, if they want my business let them earn it.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Not in Inverness they don't. Tesco were charging over 6p a litre more for petrol in Inverness, than they were in Elgin, 40 miles away! The reason for this, Elgin have an Asda, and Inverness doesn't. No competition.

Gavin.

We don't get free delivery on our shopping.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Ernest

We bought a 2006 bailey pageant bordeaux about two and a half month ago and we did not get a battery just a step and cable the price you pay for van these days you should get gas bottles the hole lot to set you up the basic's anyway

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its not just Bailey that charge delivery its very common.

If the dealer is "giving" a starter pack then somewhere you are paying for it in the price of the van in the first place.

It may seem that the dealer is giving a set figure but to him the goods are bought at cost price and the "loss" of profit on them is offset by the greater profit on the van.

Bailey on the Senator range include a lot of extras but as has been said a battery isn't one of them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its not just Bailey that charge delivery its very common.

If the dealer is "giving" a starter pack then somewhere you are paying for it in the price of the van in the first place.

It may seem that the dealer is giving a set figure but to him the goods are bought at cost price and the "loss" of profit on them is offset by the greater profit on the van.

Bailey on the Senator range include a lot of extras but as has been said a battery isn't one of them.
A starter pack is an inducement to buy a van without a trade in as well which is good news for the dealer.

G

Ironically I have purchased 2 new caravans in the last 2 years and avoided the dreaded 'delivery charge'both times. It was there all right but the dealer waived it as I purchased van no:1 at a show. Van no:2 was bought off the forecourt of the dealer, brand new, and no delivery charge was imposed. I do agree I probably contributed to it through the trade in deal, but I was very satisfied with what I achieved, so there wasn't too much for the dealer to get. Mind you pick the time you wish to buy, I did my deal at the nd of the season so the dealer was obviously anxious to move the stock. Also did note that my vans were manufactured in Belgium but the same delivery charge as mentioned, 495 pounds, is advertised by the dealer. Seems distance or international border doesn't make any difference.

However, do agree with what has been already said. If you wish to order the van from the factory through the dealer then the charge will be included. You takes your choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Zb the neighbours would be surprised if a transporter loaded with 2 vans and towing another towing another pulled up .

ALSO you would miss the PDI and handover which would then involve reading the manual as well.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Just thinking a little about all these different prices for Vans, Cars etc. I think that Customs and Revenue have a set price for all Caravans and Cars, and on this price is the set amount for the VAT. So dealers have a fixed price for the van and then from their profit margin, work out what is the minimum they can take from you the customer. From then on it haggle over the % remaning. That's how I think it works!!!!

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts