What's the best real-world tow car?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suppose it all comes down to what you want to tow and what your priorities are. We are on our third Mazda which always come out as excellent tow cars, very competitive price wise and totally reliable, although I know some diesels can be suspect at high mileages. They are a bit light though so careful caravan selection is needed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Skoda looks a great buy for owners of mid weight tourers, but at my time of life I like a bit of fixed bed end washroom twin axle luxury.
I recently changed my towing vehicle from a 1997 Mitsubishi 2.8 TD Pajero to a slightly lighter and more modern 2009 2.5 TD Kia Sorento and this is as light as I'm prepared to go because we won't be replacing the caravan anytime soon.
I use a 2013 Ford Fiesta for my daily driver to cut down on fuel costs.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The best real life tow car is the same as any car should be......

A car that meets your requirements at a price you can afford.

My current tow car the D-Max has been an excellent tow car as have all of my 4x4's over the last 20 years, everything 2wd prior to the 4x4's has been perfectly acceptable too, with the exception of the Espace. The D-Max no longer meets my requirements so is going shortly and will be replaced with my first 2wd for 20 years. However, the new tow car is bespoke designed to meet my needs and I can just about afford it too.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Martin. The best towcar is probably the one you've got.
Personally, I've used classic Range Rover V8s for the past twenty years, and the current one (1994 LSE ) has been in residence for 7 years now, and at my age will hopefully see me out.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Martin24 said:
The best real life tow car is the same as any car should be......

A car that meets your requirements at a price you can afford.

Indeed. The superb may be a great car but it hasn't got seating for 7 adults, it can't tow 3.5t, would get stuck places where I have to go and it don't come with a V8 :p

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The trouble is that trying to answer the "which car is best" question is impossible at any time because one person's wants or needs - and even they're often different - won't be at all the same as someone else's. Taking the aforementioned Skoda Superb as an example: it's probably the best car in the world if you are a minicab driver, but might just be the worst car in the world if you are a professional footballer.

I feel a bit sorry for Motty really, because he's trying to judge a car based primarily on its towing ability and that's even harder. Because that's not going to be anywhere near the top of many tower's list of priorities. In this instance I'll use myself as an example. My car covered roughly 3000 miles towing last year and 25k miles not towing. Of the non-towing miles, many were spent on the UK's motorway and A road network, carrying work tools and samples during the week and scuba diving equipment at weekends. So before I even think about towing capability - and much as I might like a 2-seater sports car - I need to make sure it offers load capacity, comfort, economy and safety. However, I rarely if ever go off road - except for grass-covered caravan sites, obviously - or carry more than one passenger, so I don't need an MPV or SUV. This narrowed it down to a diesel estate. I'm aware that I could tow a bigger caravan if I had a 4x4, but this just wouldn't be worth the compromises I'd have to make everywhere else.

However, if I'm ever able to retire with my body and brain still working, I'd like to be able to buy something big and luxurious and tour around as much of Europe as I can. In which case I won't be even remotely interested in the towing ability of estate cars because whatever they are, they won't be enough. But that's in the future. This is now, and I'm someone to whom a Skoda Superb should be ideally suited. So why - despite the c.£1k price difference as Motty correctly identifies - am I on my third Passat estate instead?

Well it's simple really. I know that both cars are mechanically identical and indeed most of the parts you can't see are the same. The problem is that most of the parts you can see in the Skoda simply aren't as nice as those in the VW. The interior plastics are that bit cheaper and nastier, the seats aren't quite as comfortable and it's not as well soundproofed. I realise that none of these things affect the car's towing ability. But when you practically live in it whilst on motorways some days, they matter.

I've argued the point before using the bread analogy. The cheapest sliced loaf you can buy in the supermarket is made using exactly the same ingredients and probably offers the same nutritional value as the warm crusty loaf you can buy in the nearest bakery. But given the choice of what to have for breakfast, which would you go for?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As others have said each one of us has different needs and likes/dislikes. When I retired in 2000 I bought Series 2 Discovery. A very fine tow car with bags of space, but its reliability was in a different world from the one I inhabit. So when I went off on a trip to OZ I asked my wife to get rid of it. On my return we bought 2004 Sorento which did everything the Discovery did but without any reliability issues at all in 70k miles. Then bought a 2010 Gen 3 XC70, well that was also back into Land Rover territory regarding the recalls on its DPF regen system, sump level alarm and cam belt arrangements. Whilst it never let me down I felt it was a failure waiting to happen. Also for such large car its rear seat legroom was extremely limited, verging on the non existent. In 2014 when we sold the van and everything including the XC70 went too.

So after buying 2014 2.0 auto Forester which wasn't bought as a tow car we decided to buy another caravan in late 2016. The Forester didn't cut the mustard even with a 1300kg van in tow. Far too many revs required for a relaxed towing. We didn't particularly want to go for another SUV so plumbed for a Superb Estate 170CR 4WD DSG. And I must say its a real delight compared to my nearest comparator the XC 70. It does everything we need as a tow car, with great leg room for all even with a 6ft 4inch driver, and a boot that I have to climb into to reach to forward most edge. Solo it drives better than the XC70 and at 50-52mpg on long solo journeys its more than 12mpg better than the Volvo. Towing, it is hard to fault it manages the caravan without any undue fuss, with plenty of torque when required. If I have one gripe it is that since 2000 all of our cars have been high ground clearance and getting out of the Superb isn't a particlarly elegant process, which makes me realise that time has taken its toll.

Best tow car ever...... ??? No such thing, as with everything else in life it comes down to choices and compromises.

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
One of the best tow cars I had was a Mitsubishi shogun 3.2 2004, we used to go on a lot of caravan rallies and on one occasion the field was like a bog but the car drag us on the field and when the rally finished back off again without any help the caravan was up to its axles but the Shogun performed well.I have a Volvo xc60 now which is a great towcar but would still buy another Shogun but the road tax is £500 plus.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Like Samandrose the towed mileage is far less than other driving, I think about 2 to 3,000 out of 11 to 12,000 miles. On that basis while the car has to be able to tow easily and safely other driving is the major concern when choosing the car once you have confirmed the cars suitable for you. Possibly the ultimate choice is then that of my co pilot though, who ruled out my first choice on style, which was never one of my considerations.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
The best tow car is the one that does everything you need.
For that reason it cannot exist.
Road conditions change and a great tow car becomes less so.
Therefore the best tow car is a Compromise!!

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Without doubt, my Jaguar XF 3.0d is amazing. Masses of torque. Pulls my lunar clubman SR like a dream and when I'm back in the real world, is amazing family car, Motorway cruiser. Luxury. Power. Comfort. And great value at 2-3 years old with jaguar warranty.

The only downside is a 75kg nose weight but not a problem if you pack correctly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes a very nice car, but I'd have to go for the touring version as I dread to think what two grubby spaniels would do to that leather upholstery. Even then I would need to protect the Wilton in the load area. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Funny you should say about that Clive. I realised a couple of weeks ago that when the new cripple cart arrives I won't be able to get any mats or load area liners to fit. I've bought a role of the stuff they make them from so that swmbo can cut to size when it arrives. Not that the heavy duty carpet that will be laid is anything close to a Wilton. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Funny you should say about that Clive. I realised a couple of weeks ago that when the new cripple cart arrives I won't be able to get any mats or load area liners to fit. I've bought a role of the stuff they make them from so that swmbo can cut to size when it arrives. Not that the heavy duty carpet that will be laid is anything close to a Wilton. :)

Martin I don't envy you having to line out such a large area. Why car makers fit carpeted luggage areas causes me angst as I then have to line them with different materials on the seat backs and sides. At one car wash I even asked the young chap to stop vacuuming the carpet on the Volvo tailgate as it was taking him ages. Then all it takes is some enthusiastic shakes as they bound into the back and we are back to square one. Pro ratae the dogs claim about four times the volume and payload compared to my wife and I.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Is that a static or dynamic load?

The "are we nearly there" moments can have a serious detrimental effect on driver stability!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO car does all our long distance travels. Last 200 mile trip yielded 61 mpg.
The current tug does 20 to 25 mpg towing a heavy TA. It's comfy armchair leather. But the two Springers are well insulated on old duvets. The leather is well protected :)
Our weight ratios leave a very wide margin for safety.
An everyday vehicle? No way. But as a tug Yes :cheer:

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
No, I think I have the perfect tow car...
For the last 6 years we have been towing our 1500kg Challenger with a 2004 Galaxy TDi.
Its not been the most fault-free car, a few common faults that I knew from researching them; but cheap to fix. In terms of its ability as a busy daily family bus I cant fault it. It is a brilliant tow car, super stable on the road & the 130hp engine is more than up to the job for me. Being a pre-dpf TDi model, its as happy pottering around town as it is on the motorway. (Something I'd be worried about with a modern diesel...).
As a family car its just fab, the seats all come out turning it into a van with a totally flat floor. I can stand up in the back to hoover it out...handy with kids.:) It will carry 7 easily if needed. On family jaunts away its has bikes lashed to the roof, boot packed with all the caravan stuff. (I like to have a heavy car - lighter caravan).
Its on 132k miles now, its a bit rattly & there's a bit of rust on a rear arch, but she still keeps going.
My Wife has a new Focus, which is nice but every time we go out the kids genuinely prefer to go in the Galaxy.
So for me, I reckon my Galaxy is the perfect tow-car. :)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I wasn't to impressed with the Sharran (galaxy's twin as they share the same basic body shell) when solo.
The chassis felt like a cabriolet. Lack of torsional stiffness. However it is a very practical car and versatile, more of a van than a car feel to it.
But that's just my opinion and you seem to be more than happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts