What's the legal position

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Regarding weights and exceeding them?

We bought a Swift Lifestyle in May with six travelling seats and when we bought it it only had five seatbelts fitted. Dealer said it was to get it into a lower road tax band. I've subsequently fitted the sixth seatbelt, only because I hate non assymetric things such as this and don't get me started on blanked off switches, they drive me mad too, I'll come back to these in a separate post, but I digress.
V5 says Revenue weight 3500 kg gross and number of seats 5. There's a riveted on plate under the bonnet which has 3650, 6150 1850 and 2000 stamped on it and a sticker saying 3500 5100 1850 and 2000.

Looking on the VOSA website I can't see where this mysterious 5/6 seats differentiation comes from and checking on DVLA for the road tax it says for 3,500Kg the tax is £140 per year. Is this right or am I looking in the wrong place?

And more to the point, who's going to check?

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Vehicle licensing is a moveable target at present as the Government continues to tinker with taxation classes.

From memory Swift, and other motorhome manufacturers, only allowed six berth motorhomes to be on a chassis above 3,500kg. Motorhomes that are above 3,500 kg come into a different category [Private/Heavy Goods] than those below 3,500kg [Private/Light Goods]. I thought the heavier chassis was taxed at £170 and the lighter at £235. I don't understand what the dealer is saying but it may have meant that a 3,500kg motorhome can be driven on an ordinary car licence whereas a motorhome above 3,500kg to 7,500kg needs a C1 licence.

Some dealers down plated the six berth motorhomes to 3,500kg to make them more attractive to those without a C1 entitlement. Some did this by removing the sixth seat belt. Some owners, who didn't need the extra capacity, also down plated their motorhome.

Without seeing your plates, I cannot be sure but it seems to me that as the DVLA says 3500kg, then the correct plate is 3,500, 5100, 1850, 2000. The riveted plate with the higher figures will be the original plate; the sticker was attached when down plated.

The likelihood of being caught is minimal, although increasing as mobile weighing plates are being used more by the Authorities aided by ANPR. Within 60 miles of where I live I know of 5 sites where random spot checks are carried out at least weekly and another two sites where they are undertaken from time to time. The impact of the risk is that your motorhome would be considered overloaded and, depending on how much, could result in you being found to be driving without a valid licence [unless you have a C1 entitlement] and thus without insurance as well as an overloaded and unsafe vehicle - cost is likely to be a fine and points on the licence. If your vehicle is involved in an accident where overloading is a factor, you could face more serious charges and have to deal with the emotional impact of causing the accident.

As a general rule, two adults and two children can just about motorhome within 3,500kg if they make compromises on what they take with them. Anything more, and motorhomers' experience suggests you need the heavier duty chassis.

If you have a C1 licence, then you can return the weights to the original figure and possibly, with some vehicle changes, even higher. SVTech are experts on this but other firms do it and you can do it yourself if you have the patience.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes but if you are in good health and pass the medical, you can go on beyond 70. Over 3500kg will affect the level of tolls you pay and the requirements in EU countries will be different. None of these are show stoppers and others cope quite easily with them.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
We have a Swift 686, a 6 berth m/h with six travelling seats and it is 3500kG

Road tax is around £240 PA

Admittedly, most of the time there are just the two of us and so we have space to spread out. I imagine the 3500kG would be a squeeze with six up !

I must remember to put her on the weigh bridge sometime !

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We have a Swift Lifestyle and just taxed this week £230>00 Ours 590, so probably smaller than your
3500 is not a lot of payload for 2 when we go away for 3 months. So for a 6 berth pushing it

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Will have to try her on the weigh bridge.

There is mostly just two of us and only 2-3 weeks whilst we are both working, payload may be an issue to consider especially with solar panels and a spare wheel on top of the base vehicle weight .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts