What's The Weight

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I drive a Mondeo 2.0 Zetec petrol manuel. It's a 53 reg 5 door hatch. I've had conflicting answers as to the question of towing weights. The main dealer seems to think i can tow up to 3460kg, which seems quite a lot, the Caravan club said 1183kg, which doesn't seem to be that much. I'm thinking of buying a Baily Ranger 4 berth, but I'm beginning to think the car won't tow much more then the trailer tent I have. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
phil,

I`ve had a look at mondeo`s specs the straight mondeo 2.0ltr zetec 5 door hatch, as you describe has a kerb weight of 1388kg 85% of that is 1180kgs, but you can tow up to 100% if you want. the CC will tell you the 85% weight as that is their guide weight

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your dealer has given you the Gross Train Weight, which includes the kerbweight of the Mondeo AND it's payload.

The Caravan Club have probably given you the Towing Guide recommendation of 85% of the kerbweight.

A simple way is to look at the VIN plate on the car, either under the bonnet or on the B-post. As well as max axle loads it'll show the Gross Vehicle Mass of the car and the Gross Train Weight. The difference between the two is the maximum trailer axle load you can tow. Add the car's maximum noseweight limit to that and you get the maximum trailer weight you can tow.

In a Mondeo brochure for '05 models the GTW is 3460 while the GVM is 1915, giving a difference of 1545, say 1620kg including noseweight. This is considerably more (117%) than the kerbweight of 1388.

You need to decide what towing ratio you're comfortable with.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 3460kg that you've been quoted must be the maximum permissible gross train weight of car and caravan combined. The 1183kg is probably 85% of the kerbweight which is recommended but not the maximum you may tow. The maximum permissible towload for your particular Mondeo is, I think, 1800kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Your dealer has given you the Gross Train Weight, which includes the kerbweight of the Mondeo AND it's payload.

The Caravan Club have probably given you the Towing Guide recommendation of 85% of the kerbweight.

A simple way is to look at the VIN plate on the car, either under the bonnet or on the B-post. As well as max axle loads it'll show the Gross Vehicle Mass of the car and the Gross Train Weight. The difference between the two is the maximum trailer axle load you can tow. Add the car's maximum noseweight limit to that and you get the maximum trailer weight you can tow.

In a Mondeo brochure for '05 models the GTW is 3460 while the GVM is 1915, giving a difference of 1545, say 1620kg including noseweight. This is considerably more (117%) than the kerbweight of 1388.

If the car is not fully laden right up to its GVW, the max. towload may even be higher than 1620kg so long as the manufacurer's spec and the max. gross train weight is not exceeded.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Yes I know, Lutz, I was trying to keep the answer simple. In any case, there's little need to exceed 117%!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 3460kg that you've been quoted must be the maximum permissible gross train weight of car and caravan combined. The 1183kg is probably 85% of the kerbweight which is recommended but not the maximum you may tow. The maximum permissible towload for your particular Mondeo is, I think, 1800kg.
That's what I said.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, I know, Roger. My reply just crossed yours, that's all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts