What's your dream layout?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We bought new for the first time after much research ten years ago but our new caravan was written off in the floods after just three months.
Fortunately for us we'd insured 'new for old' so we were given the full purchase price of the caravan against a replacement plus our accessories etc.
We went slightly more upmarket with our replacement, which was (and is) a twin axle nearside fixed bed / end washroom model and we have never regretted our choice because the layout gives the two of us a kind of luxury two berth.
The front benches are full length, the kitchen layout is fine for us, the wardrobe is more than adequate and the end washroom is large and has everything that we need.
If I had to choose now I'd think about the single axle end washroom / transverse island bed models, but to justify the money that I'd need to spend that could be better spent on great holidays in our existing caravan, a new replacement would really need to be something very special

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
For us it's the end wash room that is the deal breaker. On our present van the wardrobe is ample for two and the shower takes my 15.5 stone frame easily, I can even bend down to pick up the soap when I drop it :silly: We nearly always use CLs., the more remote the better, so the end wash room and parallel front bench seats are fine for us.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I can happily say that the one that we have now suit our needs for touring and living, front area for us has ample space , the rear end with the two bunks for the kids which they have their little bit of sitting area at the back , the centre washroom and full shower (which I haven't used yet no Micky taking please guys) and once we get the awning up even more room ! Even though it can accommodate six the four of us do quite well to fill it !
Plenty storage areas and a lovely van overall .
Craig .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hi, I can happily say that the one that we have now suit our needs for touring and living, front area for us has ample space , the rear end with the two bunks for the kids which they have their little bit of sitting area at the back , the centre washroom and full shower (which I haven't used yet no Micky taking please guys) and once we get the awning up even more room ! Even though it can accommodate six the four of us do quite well to fill it !
Craig .

Mickey taking ? - Now who on Earth would do that Craig ?

Since you don’t really have a need for it, I think it’s very admirable of you to decide to forgo the use of your shower and dedicate it as a free on-site dog wash to all and sundry wherever you go. The fact that you even throw in the use of your clean towels is even more astonishing ! :p

Woof Woof ! :evil:

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
We decided to go for the front kitchen rather than the conventional lounge.
There is only the two of us , with our dog and the Adria Astella Amazon suits us fine, with plenty of relaxing space in the center of the van.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't intend to change my current van for at least 3 yrs,but when I do I really like the look of the single axle,end bed,centre washroom ones.As my kids are teens now,when we change it'll be a van for us,then if they come they're in the awning :) .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Craigyoung said:
Craig .

Since you don’t really have a need for it, I think it’s very admirable of you to decide to forgo the use of your shower and dedicate it as a free on-site dog wash to all and sundry wherever you go. The fact that you even throw in the use of your clean towels is even more astonishing ! :p

Now hey !
I was expecting you !! You know as we have the same van we have a good layout & we have a good decent shower , now that is a good space to put the laundry bag !! :p

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Icaru5 said:
Craigyoung said:
Craig .

Now hey !
I was expecting you !! You know as we have the same van we have a good layout & we have a good decent shower , now that is a good space to put the laundry bag !! :p

Wondered when you’d be along Craig ! :p

We use the side locker above the rear dinette as our laundry locker !

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
We started with a side dinette Lunar 524 thinking that feature was important but quickly came to realise that we should have focused on the sleeping arrangements. Visiting a dealer to buy a waste bin we wandered around the vans on display, as one does and found a Lunar Clubman SB. Twin parallel single beds, rear shower bathroom and twin couches at the front; bliss. The deal was done. The value of fixed, comfortable beds cannot be overstated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ours would be a two berth with end kitchen and middle shower and full length front settees. We don't mind having to make up the bed. But it's a case of dream on, as teen granddaughter seems to have a limpet-like attachment to caravan trips.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We’ve had the Wyoming nine years now. Just us two and the Springers.Rear shower room, fixed French bed, kitchen and then front lounge. We used to change every 4 years but the Wyoming still ticks the boxes. Like Parksy, if we did change it would still be rear washroom but fixed transverse bed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What to replace our Quasar with is still not decided. We have the short lived layout where the caravan has a front lounge and a second further back which converts to a double bed. We find this works for us with the bed being left in place most of the time but converted to a lounge in the day if we have grandchildren or more visitors than the front can hold. It is flexible and we would look at another if it existed.
My tendency is for an island bed now but that generally means a longer caravan and I do feel like downsizing a bit, so everything is up in the air, but probably next year we will have to bite the bullet and buy something.
The other layout that worked for us was the double lounge so we could leave the back down as a bed if need be but only Adria and Weinsberg have this at the moment and the models with it are probably too basic for us.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
We began in a small old Sprite Azzura S axle it was in marvelous condition for its age been well looked after. Basic of course but we wanted to know if caravanning would be for us. Just me and hubby with 2 dogs. And we found it was indeed so decided to look for a bigger one.. fixed bed being top of list definitely. Got our first Compass Rallye 640 Db axle and loved it had many good trips bit unfortunately it was involved in an arsen attack and was wrote of. Long story short..insurance paid full cost we got another Compass Rallye 634 Db axle absoluty not planned at all bought private same as last was. It has a bigger fridge freezer love that but mostly love the L shape seating..end bathroom and side fixed bed.
Now if I could tick my own boxes..Double Island bed a must..large fridge freezer..L shape seating and bit bigger shower than in ours.
But can not afford now to change so we'll remain happy bunnies in what we have thats a very big blessing from God. We're very blessed.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh meant to say...
The New Bailey Retreat is for dreaming about.
The seating area shape is even better than the L imagine that now.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
We spent approximately 2 years looking at caravans before settling on a layout which has already been mentioned in this thread; the transverse island bed/end-washroom.

Initially layout was secondary to size/MTPLM as I was limited by a "B" licence and a car which was only capable of a gross train weight within that 3500KG limit. The Swift Basecamp was seriously considered and nearly an hour was spent at one of the NEC shows getting the sales spiel and exploring it's features. But, 30 seconds after sitting in a similarly priced but much more comfortable Swift Challenger 480, I knew the Basecamp wasn't for us.

The following year, with a new more capable tow car and a B+E to go with it, we were only considering 4 berth fixed bed layouts, to avoid having to make up a bed - The asymmetric French Bed was never considered, as being 6'3" I would either be cramped against the wall or have a leg falling off the bed. I really liked the end bed, centre washroom Sprite Major 4 EB, but the shower intrusion and washroom door made the lounge/kitchen feel very dark and cramped but the deal-breaker, was that with my head pressed against the headboard, my feet were in the washroom.

So we eventually settled on the Sprite SB, which has been the best layout for us on a single axle van. My feet still hang over the edge of the bed and I catch the protruding bed slats on the edge of the bed frame, but there is always compromise!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Current Coachman Vision 545 with end longitudinal bed, centre washroom is just the job for two elderly caravanners. If I had to improve the layout I would make it a little longer say 555 with the length going on the bed as it and me are the same nominal length.
While I like the airy light feeling at the front I would go bact to having lockers across the top of the front windows, as the loss of these plus the narrowing of the side front lockers has reduced the storage space considerably ; important for our long-stay trips in Europe

By coincidence it was bought within a few days of the 50th anniversary of buying my first caravan - a Sprite Alpine.which was much more roomy than it's 12ft length would suggest. Really enjoyed that van although it caused the addiction.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We've got a Bailey Pegasus Palermo - twin axle, end washroom, bunks just in front of that with a dinette which we actively encourage our daughters to use as their dinner /colouring/junk area. The double at the front is huge and the kitchen has plenty of space too with a great sized fridge. At the moment it's the perfect set up for us, although the idea of a fixed bed is extremely tempting.... a shame you can't get a fixed bed with bunks!!! (Or is that a static caravan???)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Harby said:
We've got a Bailey Pegasus Palermo - twin axle, end washroom, bunks just in front of that with a dinette which we actively encourage our daughters to use as their dinner /colouring/junk area. The double at the front is huge and the kitchen has plenty of space too with a great sized fridge. At the moment it's the perfect set up for us, although the idea of a fixed bed is extremely tempting.... a shame you can't get a fixed bed with bunks!!! (Or is that a static caravan???)

Have a look at the Swift Conqueror 630 or the Sprite Quattro EW. Or a few other 6 berths. Fixed double and a side dinette you could leave up as bunks. End washroom.
Mel

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
Our previous van was an old Compass with wardrobe/bathroom and kitchen in the middle, lounge at either end. We found that we were constantly bumping into each other, just not very "spacious" at all.
We bought a Coachman VIP 520 last year with side dinette and rear washroom. Absolutely love it, love having the large bathroom and the dinette creates the feeling of spaciousness. Toyed with the idea of a fixed bed for sooooo long but decided against it.

TRENDING THREADS