Wheel lock recommendations

Oct 27, 2022
Visit site
Hello, just about to purchase our first caravan (used) and it doesn't come with any security features. Was looking into an Alko wheel lock as it's the only one I've heard of, but are there any others on the market you would recommend please?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello, just about to purchase our first caravan (used) and it doesn't come with any security features. Was looking into an Alko wheel lock as it's the only one I've heard of, but are there any others on the market you would recommend please?
The Milenco Wraith or Purpleline Nemesis have good ratings and are very similar. Unlike the Alko the bolts do not have to enter the chassis mounted bolt receiver. So not quite as secure but easier to fit as the caravan does not have to be millimetre perfect in its positioning. Some users jack the caravan on site to fit the Alko. Not my cup of tea. So I used Alko at home or in storage and a light weight Milenco U shaped one for touring. See what your insurer stipulates in case they have specific requirements.

Reactions: VickyM
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Milenco Wraith or Purpleline Nemesis have good ratings and are very similar. Unlike the Alko the bolts do not have to enter the chassis mounted bolt receiver. So not quite as secure but easier to fit as the caravan does not have to be millimetre perfect in its positioning. Some users jack the caravan on site to fit the Alko. Not my cup of tea. So I used Alko at home or in storage and a light weight Milenco U shaped one for touring. See what your insurer stipulates in case they have specific requirements.
PS you can buy pre owned Alko without locks and buy a new lock set. Also Milenco do two very similar wheel locks differentiated by a difference in specifications and price.

Oct 27, 2022
Visit site
Thank you, that's really helpful. I will look into those options.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fingers crossed it will be a Swift Challenger 586 Sport 2013 model
Sounds a nice choice.

Milenco now no longer make the ace wheel lock and have recently redesigned the Wraith which is now Wraith 2 and has additional metal work down to the ground and straddling the wheel.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the Nemisis Ultra which is similar to the Wraith and straight forward to fit. The Alko lock is certainly more secure and needs an expert to overcome but requires the caravan wheel lined up very accurately to fit it. I am not being rude but I doubt your caravan is a target for professional thieves and would not worry about the ALKO.
You might also need a hitch lock to comply with the insurance. For that we have the Milenco.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I reluctantly fitted an ALKO wheel lock even though lots of people said they were a pain to fit, there was a mention though that said if your caravan has a mover it is simple to fit but if no mover it is much more fiddly, I have a mover and I find it a complete piece of cake, and I’ve had my ALKO for about 18 months and never have I regretted it but even now if I didn’t have a mover I wouldn’t have the ALKO.
I don’t know if it’s still available but I bought mine through the caravan motor home club and got a good discount.
BP

Reactions: Pamplona and VickyM
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an Alko wheel lock I only use it when back at the storage, I find it easy to fit but that's after years of use. I would go for the Nemisis or a Bulldog.
My thoughts are you will not have a caravan stolen from a payed for pitch. So I have an easy to fit clamp that is very visible but cheap.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Statistically I think that theft from a pitch is very rare simply because of the number of witnesses who tend to be around make it more difficult. The Nemisis Ultra or Wraith do seem an easier fit than the cheap ones though and cheap ones with no certification might not be acceptable to your insurer.

Reactions: VickyM and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts